Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Raleigh (USA) Alyeska

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-24-10, 01:04 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I picked this up about a month ago when I was figuring up all the stuff I wanted to add to one of my existing bikes, and then suddenly realized I could save quite a bit of money by getting something road-ish that came stock with rack mounts, cantilever brakes, and relatively sturdy wheels (helpful since its typical load is about 260 lbs). Made in Taiwan and marketed by Huffy (according to info I've gleamed online), so it can't have been all that special when new, but butted chromoly can't be that bad, and so far I'm rather enjoying the thing.

I find it entertaining how Huffy named the top three of their four Raleigh USA "touring" models after destinations in Alaska - Alyeska, Kodiak, and Portage.

Pic from the eBay auction:

Pic from this past week:

Original specs from Retro Raleighs:

Changes you might notice include the 28/38/48 Biopace chainrings, the Dia-Compe brake levers and Pyramid shift levers, and the cheapie Pyramid chromoly stem. I haven't really done much else with it other than a little polishing and repacking the bottom bracket, unless you count accessories and used bar tape, but for my purposes at least, I think it's really starting to come together.

Last edited by 1987cp; 06-24-10 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Dia-Compe != Dura-Ace! D'oh!
Old 06-24-10, 03:46 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
IIRC the Alyeska is a decent model and is quite often sought out for commuter/light touring use. Regardless it is a nice find.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-24-10, 04:20 AM
TeeSquare

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Bridgestone MB-1, Miyata Triple Cross, Surly Pugsley, Miyata 916, C Roberts Touring, Fuji Touring Series IV, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 8 Posts
I have the 1986 model and I is really a great bike. It very stable and comfortable.
Old 06-24-10, 05:50 AM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Alyeska is a very nice bike. The only thing is that I experience some high speed shimmy when under load; ie when towing a trailer with my tow kids.
Old 06-24-10, 07:18 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I purchased a Raleigh Alyeska recently and am in the process of restoring it. I have completely disassembled it, cleaned and polished the frame and the componenets. This week the BB and hubs will be rebuilt and it'll get a new VO headset. My Alyeska came with the "hurricane" triple crankset and Suntour AR derailleurs. The front wheel is original (Raleigh branded high flange hub), but the rear is a replacement. I have yet to try and determine the date of the bike. I will be sure to update my post with before and after photos when she's complete.

The 25" frame has a standover nearly an inch higher than the 25" Schwinn frames I have from the same era (27 x 1 1/4). "Raleigh" is branded on nearly every single place imaginable on this bike. Mine is the brown/gold color.

Unfortunately it is slightly too tall for me, so I am restoring it for a friend. Thankfully I picked up an '87 Schwinn Voyageur at the same time for myself.

Other things I'm doing to the bike are adding VO fenders, brake pads, Pass Hunter rack, new cables, new hoods, Pasela TG tires, Grip King pedals and coverting to bar-end shifters.

gr23932, I would love to see more photos and a description of what you've done to your Alyeska.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-24-10 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-25-10, 12:54 PM
1987cp

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Neat to hear from other Alyeska fans! I do find that this bike is a very comfortable ride. Seems to be basically my version of these new "comfort bikes", and for a lot less initial outlay. It's interesting to me how very differently it rides from my other bikes, a Paramount MOS and a pair of sport-tourers. The Alyeska seems to be very maneuverable without being too unstable. I'd be interesting to ride something like a Voyageur for comparison, since this is the only touring-style machine I've ridden.

I also noticed about the different height compared to a Schwinn. Not sure if the better Schwinns are different, but I have a '90ish Schwinn World that's 21" nominal (as is this bike), but IIRC, the Schwinn's 21" is to the top of the seat tube, and this bike's is to the middle of the top tube. I have an '84 Raleigh (USA) Record in 23" that I like really well even though I'm not very tall, so I may have been slightly happier if this one were 23" as well, but this frame is just short enough that I can manage a step-through when the child seat is preventing normal mounting.

I like the look of your bags and fenders, gr23932. That, and the leather saddle, seem to give it a rather elegant old-school look ... lots better than my current half-black scheme. I don't mind my black brake hoods, but black also on the saddle, bag, fenders, and chainrings all gets to be a bit much. I'm very interested to try a Brooks Flyer at some point, since for now the stock saddle offers about the best compromise of the ones I have on hand.
Old 06-25-10, 01:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by 1987cp
Neat to hear from other Alyeska fans! I do find that this bike is a very comfortable ride. Seems to be basically my version of these new "comfort bikes", and for a lot less initial outlay. It's interesting to me how very differently it rides from my other bikes, a Paramount MOS and a pair of sport-tourers. The Alyeska seems to be very maneuverable without being too unstable. I'd be interesting to ride something like a Voyageur for comparison, since this is the only touring-style machine I've ridden.
The reason it rides as you describe is simple: Touring geometry. Slack angles and lots of fork rake. The old English touring frame philosophy.

-Kurt

Old 06-25-10, 04:36 PM
TeeSquare

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Bridgestone MB-1, Miyata Triple Cross, Surly Pugsley, Miyata 916, C Roberts Touring, Fuji Touring Series IV, Surly Steamroller

Originally Posted by gr23932
The Alyeska is a very nice bike. The only thing is that I experience some high speed shimmy when under load; ie when towing a trailer with my tow kids.
I've put about 700 miles on mine in the last 6 months and have yet to experience any shimmy... and the bike is definitely well loaded with my Clyde-self I've had it up to about 26 MPH or so and it's rock solid. I need to sell a bike as I have too many, but I just can't bring myself to let this one go... it rides too nice.
Old 06-25-10, 05:19 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by TeeSquare
I've put about 700 miles on mine in the last 6 months and have yet to experience any shimmy... and the bike is definitely well loaded with my Clyde-self I've had it up to about 26 MPH or so and it's rock solid. I need to sell a bike as I have too many, but I just can't bring myself to let this one go... it rides too nice.
If you decide to sell I would be interested in first shot at it...if it is my size. I live in the Sandhills area of NC. (Work all over the country though...)

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 06-26-10, 06:38 AM
TeeSquare

I'll let you know. It's an 55 cm.
Thanks
Old 06-26-10, 08:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
That's one bike I would love to own.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-26-10, 08:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
the mid eighties Taiwan Raleighs are very under rated and often excellent values. Decent quality frames components and features for a typically low price.
Old 06-26-10, 09:14 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, this thread is so weird. Just last month everyone was low-balling some other kid about the value of his Alyeska and now everyone is going nuts.
Old 06-26-10, 09:26 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by TeeSquare
I'll let you know. It's an 55 cm.
Thanks
Dayum...too small I ride a 64cm...

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 06-26-10, 06:55 PM
1987cp

Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Man, this thread is so weird. Just last month everyone was low-balling some other kid about the value of his Alyeska and now everyone is going nuts.
Sounds a lot like my one car forum. Everyone was all over drooling at a couple of my vehicles when I first posted, then when I floated a possibly-for-sale thread everyone said to part it out. Oh, well.

Interesting, so it sounds like I may have made a smarter purchase than I even realized. I was looking at my side-on picture and noticed that the head tube did look noticably more upright than the seat tube. I need to throw some wheels back on the Record and compare head tube angles one of these days, since that was previously the bike I thought most comfortable and predictable. The MOS is quick and agile but gets wearing pretty quickly (or so it seems), and the cheap Schwinn, which seems to have a shallower head tube angle, always felt like its steering was totally stuck in a groove. Makes sense, then, that my first touring-type bike would make a big impression!
Old 07-09-10, 09:27 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Raleigh Alyeska Restoration

Here's some photos of the Alyeska I just finished restoring. I realize it wasn't (and isn't) economical for bike companies to spec different parts for different sized frames, but in what world does it make sense for a 65cm frame to have the same 170mm crank arms and narrow randonneur bend bars as a 49cm frame? Anyhow, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I changed the bars, pedals, front brake cable stop, and replaced the caged bearings with loose ball bearings. I also purchased a used set of Raleigh branded Suntour bar end shifters (which it should've had when new IMO). PaselaTG 27x1 1/4 ties, VO cables/housing, adjustable brake pads, 48mm fluted fenders and SS Pass Hunter front rack round out the bike.

Before

After

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-09-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 09:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Looks great. Can you share what the fenders and racks are that you added?

Old 07-09-10, 09:40 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Stunning! Are those VO cable housings?
Old 07-09-10, 09:43 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Looks great. Can you share what the fenders and racks are that you added?
Thanks!
Fenders
Rack
Old 07-09-10, 09:50 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
Stunning! Are those VO cable housings?
Thanks, Diego. They are from VO. I think their SS housing is beautiful, but they were out of stock so I went with brown. It's a lighter shade than the frame color and I think it compliments it well. It's a quality cable/housing kit. Granted, the derailleur kit is not long enough to route the cable under the bar wrap on such a large frame, but I don't imagine any kit available is long enough for that.
Old 07-10-10, 02:53 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
For that application, you might need something for a recumbent or a tandem. In such a niche market, you'll probably be restricted to black only, unfortunately.
Old 07-10-10, 04:37 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Beautiful job!

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 07-12-10, 05:09 AM
1987cp

Thanks for sharing those pictures! The more subtle color scheme really does help the look of the bike, and I'm not surprised to hear that the narrow bars don't work at all for someone tall.

Did you do a lot of polishing on individual components, or was the bike just in very decent cosmetic shape when you got it?
Old 07-12-10, 07:08 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by 1987cp
Did you do a lot of polishing on individual components, or was the bike just in very decent cosmetic shape when you got it?
Thankfully the bike had a lot of grease/oil buildup on it so there was very little rust. Everything was taken completely apart, short of removing the headset races. I cleaned all the componenets with Simple Green and hand polished them with Blue Magic. I used #0000 steel wool on the spokes and Simple Green was all the wheels and hubs needed. I used kerosene to clean the freewheel and bearings before reassembly. Polishing the Jim Blackburn rack really brought it back to life.
Old 07-12-10, 07:31 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
That chain stay protector is pure genius. Thanks for the idea!!,,,,BD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.