Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 09:03 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Those UG chains have always worked good for me, especially with 6 speed. I think the more speeds the more HG chain makes a positive difference.
Old 01-31-21, 01:01 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by markwesti
Red touch up paint for the 86' Classic IM , perfect match .

Reposting this from a 100 or so pages back because it's funny...and I miss markwesti.
Old 01-31-21, 08:18 PM
texaspandj

Page 389 time to Post your '89s.
Here's mine after a short 18 windy miles that I rode with my cycling buddy. I felt pretty good although I got dropped s few times. He was on his '88 Master Ironman so that kinda helps take the sting out of it.

Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-01-21, 09:14 AM
texaspandj

Alright! New month!
Unfortunately accompanying New injury...well actually a recurring injury. I just finally got diagnosed last week. On meds and I go in for a follow-up next week.
Which brings me to a New training schedule for February. I'll be running on treadmill Mon-Thur for 1 hour. Off on Fri. Bike Sat and Sun. That's it. I can't lift weights or do much of anything upper body wise.
I think I'll be participating in a duathlon in March. It's a run bike run event. I'm not sure which bike to take yet. Although I've lost a little weight, I'm still heavy but surprisingly ok cardio wise. I get dropped on small inclines when I ride with my cycling buddy.
Hopefully running for an hour and registering for a race will speed up my weight loss goals.
What y'all got planned?​​​​
Old 02-01-21, 09:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Alright! New month!
Unfortunately accompanying New injury...well actually a recurring injury. I just finally got diagnosed last week. On meds and I go in for a follow-up next week.
Which brings me to a New training schedule for February. I'll be running on treadmill Mon-Thur for 1 hour. Off on Fri. Bike Sat and Sun. That's it. I can't lift weights or do much of anything upper body wise.
I think I'll be participating in a duathlon in March. It's a run bike run event. I'm not sure which bike to take yet. Although I've lost a little weight, I'm still heavy but surprisingly ok cardio wise. I get dropped on small inclines when I ride with my cycling buddy.
Hopefully running for an hour and registering for a race will speed up my weight loss goals.
What y'all got planned?​​​​
What kind of injury? This year so far I'm mainly working on building up the body to prevent any injuries. I have 2 half marathons on back to back weekends in March. I don't have any time goals for those other than finishing and enjoying the runs. I'm getting the miles in at night. The runs are really slow. If you have the right amount of gear on, cold/night running/cycling is fairly enjoyable. There's something to be said for trudging along on an 8 mile run in the dark when it's around 30 degrees. You still get sweaty, but you don't get hot! I've been getting in plenty of time at the pool. I've gradually increased the amount of laps I can do before the arches of my feet start cramping. I still think swimming is the best overall exercise for general fitness. Really, a combination of the 3 tri disciplines in moderation is a good plan. Mostly riding the beater IM on the trainer. I'm about ready to start riding in the cold outside. We've been getting a lot of moisture in some form or the other. I don't care much for riding on wet streets.

Here are some pics of the Noxgear lighted vest I acquired with some Christmas money. For the David Hasselhoff types that want to be night riders, I would recommend it. Front then back. I turned off my headlamp for the pics. I'd also recommend the Tough Headwear Skull Cap/Helmet Liner/Running Beanie from Tough Outfitters. It works and is relatively inexpensive. I got one on in those pics.

Last edited by seypat; 02-01-21 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 10:32 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
​​​​The banned user's thread is public.
Please post it. Does the thread describe why he was banned? I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure this all out....
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 02-01-21, 09:02 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Please post it. Does the thread describe why he was banned? I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure this all out....
The answer lies within, sort of.

https://www.bikeforums.net/news-anno...-users-41.html
Old 02-02-21, 03:18 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 148 Posts
Almost done now

I'm finishing up the main work on this one:

I'm not happy with the drive train - I think it's just the front derailleur isn't quite straight, but it could be elsewhere as well. I still need to trim and cap the cables once I'm satisfied.

I pulled the 105 pedals for some MTB flat pedals I had in a bin for easier riding. I'll bag the original pedals and keep them with the bike.

I also couldn't decide on white or yellow handlebar tape.

So . . . my first attempt at a harlequin wrap. It certainly looks like a first attempt. I can actually see the appeal of that wrap style with cloth tape, since you'd end up with a thicker wrap and the weave prevents the curling of the edges.

I recently picked up a parts bike with that bottle cage, so I threw it on too. I *think* it's yellow, but now I wonder if its actually orange (I'm color-blind, so this is all lost on me).

I'll hang it on a peg for now and try to get the other Ironman built up next, so both will be ready for a spring sell off. I have to admit, though, this one actually fits just right.
Old 02-02-21, 04:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,009 Times in 1,108 Posts
CO_Hoya I think the only weakness in that 105 group is the narrow front derailleur cage. I can't remember which way it needs to point. RT knows. I remember on my '87 MV, aligned with the chainring is not optimal.
Old 02-02-21, 05:06 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I remember on my '87 MV, aligned with the chainring is not optimal.
Yeah, that's what I've just discovered.
Old 02-14-21, 05:32 PM
texaspandj

What is up Ironkids?
It's really cold here in Cen-Tex, in fact the whole state of Texas is under a winter storm warning. We've already have had ice since Thursday and now sleeting with snow. I know, I know it's nothing compared to y'all northerners but we ain't used to it.

My '83 Centurion TA is still in the rack and basically untouched. RT sent me the bike for no reason I know of and I appreciate it which is why I've kinda have been uninspired. The thing is RT was my drive to build better and train harder. I was (unbeknownst to everyone) always wanting to best him. I always seemed to fail when it came to building IMs. Also I was intending on not getting dropped by him if and when he came to Texas. So I would train hard especially because of the mega milage he was putting in. But alas I've come to terms with it and have decided to finish the build. Funny that I thought I was done building Ironman and I guess I am but I'm gonna finish the Centurion TA build.
Which brings me back to the ridiculous ice snow and gusty winds with wind-chill below 0°. Were not expecting above freezing til Friday. I've got a lead on a group to install on the '83 but I've got to wait til the weather clears up to make the road Trip.
The build has taking a new twist due to signing up for a Gravel Ride. That's right I'm making it gravel friendly and what ever that means. My cycling buddy has decided to sign up for one and I've decided to join him. We'll see.
Also too I'm gonna sign up for 3 triathlons this year and hope they don't get cancelled. My wife doesn't understand why I can only get motivated to train by competition. IDK either.
I've been injured @seypat @canklecat . I have rib lining inflammation and Pain. It's a pain I've lived with on and off the last 7 years or so. However I had it for about 3 weeks straight it was time to get it checked out. It turned out it was brought on by a cartlidge injury. How I got the cartlidge injury is a you pickem. Could've been by lifting weights, punching bag, tire flipping, battle rope, getting punched or kicked or maybe trail riding. Who knows, but I still can't do those things for at least another week. Fortunately I can still run and road bike. So that's what I plan on continuing to do. So run 1 hour Mon - Thu, off on Fri and bike Sat and Sun. Starting in March I Plan on riding 1 or 2 days s week with the bike club but not 100% sure yet.
Actually I had been reluctant to talk about my injury lest this turn into sounding like 50+ thread, BTW I'm 57 so I always sound like I'm posting on that thread.
I'm fired up for some training now though.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-14-21 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 06:22 PM
seypat

What is up Ironkids?
It's really cold here in
Just looked at your area. GEEZ! The wife has a girl trip to Disney World later this week. One of the other attendees,( the one the got married last year) lives in Crawford, TX. She is supposed to fly out on Tuesday. Looking at the forecast, I don't think it's going to happen. We've had snow/sleet/ice/rain since Thursday, but the temp only hovered around freezing. It iced last night so some trees went down. The temp is up now and raining. It will be gone by tomorrow. I had to run 14 on the treadmill at the gym today. You do what you have to.

Got the Turbo primed. I should get it painted this week. Stay safe.
Old 02-14-21, 07:25 PM
seypat

What is up Ironkids?
It's really cold here in Cen-Tex, in fact the whole state of Texas is under a winter storm warning. We've already have had ice since Thursday and now sleeting with snow. I know, I know it's nothing compared to y'all northerners but we ain't used to it.

My '83 Centurion TA is still in the rack and basically untouched. RT sent me the bike for no reason I know of and I appreciate it which is why I've kinda have been uninspired. The thing is RT was my drive to build better and train harder. I was (unbeknownst to everyone) always wanting to best him. I always seemed to fail when it came to building IMs. Also I was intending on not getting dropped by him if and when he came to Texas. So I would train hard especially because of the mega milage he was putting in. But alas I've come to terms with it and have decided to finish the build. Funny that I thought I was done building Ironman and I guess I am but I'm gonna finish the Centurion TA build.
Which brings me back to the ridiculous ice snow and gusty winds with wind-chill below 0°. Were not expecting above freezing til Friday. I've got a lead on a group to install on the '83 but I've got to wait til the weather clears up to make the road Trip.
The build has taking a new twist due to signing up for a Gravel Ride. That's right I'm making it gravel friendly and what ever that means. My cycling buddy has decided to sign up for one and I've decided to join him. We'll see.
Also too I'm gonna sign up for 3 triathlons this year and hope they don't get cancelled. My wife doesn't understand why I can only get motivated to train by competition. IDK either.
I've been injured @seypat @canklecat . I have rib lining inflammation and Pain. It's a pain I've lived with on and off the last 7 years or so. However I had it for about 3 weeks straight it was time to get it checked out. It turned out it was brought on by a cartlidge injury. How I got the cartlidge injury is a you pickem. Could've been by lifting weights, punching bag, tire flipping, battle rope, getting punched or kicked or maybe trail riding. Who knows, but I still can't do those things for at least another week. Fortunately I can still run and road bike. So that's what I plan on continuing to do. So run 1 hour Mon - Thu, off on Fri and bike Sat and Sun. Starting in March I Plan on riding 1 or 2 days s week with the bike club but not 100% sure yet.
Actually I had been reluctant to talk about my injury lest this turn into sounding like 50+ thread, BTW I'm 57 so I always sound like I'm posting on that thread.
I'm fired up for some training now though.
Regarding the reasons/motivation for training, it keeps the vices away, at least for me. There'll come a time when we can train no longer train. I'm doing what I can to delay that as long as possible. Plus, you have a young daughter. I'm sure you want to walk her down the isle when the time comes. That should be reason enough to train and reach a ripe old age.
Old 02-14-21, 08:06 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
Regarding the reasons/motivation for training, it keeps the vices away, at least for me. There'll come a time when we can train no longer train. I'm doing what I can to delay that as long as possible. Plus, you have a young daughter. I'm sure you want to walk her down the isle when the time comes. That should be reason enough to train and reach a ripe old age.
You're right. And I stay healthy for her but I need more to stay fast fit, at least that's what I think 🤔
Old 02-14-21, 08:11 PM
texaspandj

You're right. And I stay healthy for her but I need more to stay fast fit, at least that's what I think 🤔

BTW, I sent you something but with this weather there's no telling when you'll get it.
Old 02-14-21, 08:43 PM
seypat

BTW, I sent you something but with this weather there's no telling when you'll get it.
Sent me something, sweet! I'll look for it. Fast fit, I get you. I don't have to worry about that. Being a fast twitcher, I was good at the traditional sports and mediocre at endurance sports. I don't think I've ever made it into the top 50% of my age group for any endurance event, period. I take that back. I did a duathlon once with 2 people in my age group. I actually came in before the other male, but got some kind of time penalty. He ended up in 1st. I got both second and last in my age group. In some ways it's more enjoyable that way. The expectations are low. I still chase PRs, but know I'll be MOP to BOP. Most any endeavor is like that. The closer you get to the top, the harder it gets. The success is nice, but overall maybe not as fun/enjoyable.

Last edited by seypat; 02-14-21 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 02:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hey, texaspandj , I know what you mean about bike motivation. Oh, I have the Ironman set up the way I like... mostly... I might swap saddles again. But the Mavic aero wheelset I got from RT really topped off the Ironman's ride.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and switch to an older MicroShift 7-speed brifter setup, instead of continuing with the original Suntour GPX Accushift downtube shifters. I like the downtube shifters, but there are occasions in heavy wind when I'd rather have both hands on the bars. I've used the MicroShift brifters on the Trekenstein and they work great. I'd just need to swap out the Ironman's Suntour GPX components and put in the Shimano 600 Tricolor/Ultegra RD (I don't remember whether I have a clamp-on 600 FD, although I do have a couple of braze-on types).

But I still haven't rebuilt the Trekenstein. That was my 2020 project that I never finished. I have all the components ready to go, including the headset. Just haven't gotten around to putting it all together. Dunno why, it's a good bike. Just kept procrastinating.

Although I'm not riding much lately. Injuries, as you've experienced. In my case, the old neck pain stuff from being hit by cars... twice. I've cut back to once a week, either an outdoor ride or indoor trainer session.

Mostly I've been running and walking. Although I had a knee injury Sunday night walking in the snow, which might keep me off my feet for a few days. I didn't slip -- it's powder snow, no problems walking. But some idiotic engineer put a utility hole in the middle of the sidewalk, minus a cover. The dry powder snow bridged across the hole, disguising it. I stepped into the hole, fell and smacked my knee on the pavement. Right now it just feels bruised. Because of the harsh winter weather it may be a few days before I can get to the doctor for X-rays.

I know how those rib injuries feel. Mine definitely came from sparring. When I was 17 or 18, still a light welterweight, I was in the gym wanting to spar and the only other guy in the gym was the state heavyweight champion. He laughed when I asked to spar but said okay. He was a good guy, took it easy on me. He only threw a few jabs and half-power rights to my chest. Just one of those punches felt like it introduced my sternum to my spine. That was in 1975 and I felt that for the next two or three years. My ribs and sternum would pop whenever I took a deep breath. No problems now but I still remember how that felt.

Anyway, I'm planning to put the Ironman on the indoor trainer tomorrow for a workout, assuming the bruised knee cooperates. I definitely won't be running outdoors for a few days, considering the weather. My internet has been up and down this weekend since the winter weather started. Every time we get even a little rain the internet goes out. I have my phone and data but the app version of BF doesn't work the same way or give notifications of updates.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-15-21 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 07:52 AM
seypat

Sending thoughts and prayers to the people in Texas. My father(80 years young) lives in Abilene. He hasn't had any power/heat since the deep freeze started. The brother in Houston had sold his house and was supposed to close on another one today. He's living in a hotel. The brother in Wichita Falls has a gas fireplace so they are making it. Rough to say the least. Hang in there.

Last edited by seypat; 02-18-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 10:44 AM
texaspandj

Sending thoughts and prayers to the people in Texas. My father(80 years young) lives in Abilene. He hasn't had any power/heat since the deep freeze started. the brother in Houston had sold his house and was supposed to close on another one today. He's living in a hotel. The brother in Wichita Falls has a gas fireplace so they are making it. Rough to say the least. Hang in there.
Your Dad is Texas Tough!
We were out a few hours then back on. The next day it went out at 9pm and didn't come on for 22 and half hours later....I know exactly to the minute.
It really wasn't that much fun.
I know you northerners think we can't handle the cold and You're Right. It has been below freezing for 7 days.
It does make you appreciate shstuff, and my ancestors.
Old 02-18-21, 11:20 AM
seypat

Your Dad is Texas Tough!
We were out a few hours then back on. The next day it went out at 9pm and didn't come on for 22 and half hours later....I know exactly to the minute.
It really wasn't that much fun.
I know you northerners think we can't handle the cold and You're Right. It has been below freezing for 7 days.
It does make you appreciate shstuff, and my ancestors.
My father said he doesn't remember any really cold spells that lasted this long. I think his memory's just faded. I looked up the records for Wichita Falls. Look at those warmest/coldest days/months!
https://www.climatespy.com/climate/s...ita-falls-muni

Then there's this. Most of the violent weather has moved east now, though. Those are some of the reasons I don't live in the Lone Star state anymore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_R...rnado_outbreak
Old 02-19-21, 02:01 PM
texaspandj

My father said he doesn't remember any really cold spells that lasted this long. I think his memory's just faded. I looked up the records for Wichita Falls. Look at those warmest/coldest days/months!
https://www.climatespy.com/climate/s...ita-falls-muni

Then there's this. Most of the violent weather has moved east now, though. Those are some of the reasons I don't live in the Lone Star state anymore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_R...rnado_outbreak
I think your Dad may be on to something. I don't remember snow and ice ever lasting this long (even in '83). It's finally melting some but a long ways from gone.
In other news, the Centurion TA is back on the stand and waiting for group. I plan on a road trip Sun if all goes well and component group is still available. This will be a complete departure from anything I've ever done before.🤞

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-19-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-19-21, 03:01 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
From a northerner here. 7 days below freezing here gets your attention too. We are on 14 days here now but supposed to hit freezing in a couple days. Reason I post is I think it is something that is natural with humans and water and freezing and such. Even being a northerner, I always notice when it has been awhile since we have been above freezing. Maybe something innate in humans like the winter darkness and such I guess. Thoughts go out to the less fortunate southerners.
Old 02-20-21, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
By Friday our power, internet and water seem to be back to normal after a rough week. For awhile I was milking my phone battery, after my three power banks had run dry. I set the phone to battery saver mode and mostly used it to check local news and weather.

Friday afternoon warmed up to 40F and I considered a bike ride but decided not to risk stray patches of ice and went for a jog instead. Jogged 5 miles, mostly easy pace. Hadn't run or done much exercise for a week, trying to conserve energy for emergencies.

When I got home and checked Strava for the first time this week I noticed my Ironman had recently ticked over 10,000 miles -- 10,070.5, as of a week or so ago, my last ride before Snowmaggedon, the Snowpocalypse.

Apparently still my favorite bike, although I've added a couple of carbon fiber bikes since getting the Ironman in 2017.

Looking forward to many more pleasant miles.

I've been doing more running and walking than riding since October, but plan to change that soon.
Old 02-20-21, 05:00 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
By Friday our power, internet and water seem to be back to normal after a rough week. For awhile I was milking my phone battery, after my three power banks had run dry. I set the phone to battery saver mode and mostly used it to check local news and weather.

Friday afternoon warmed up to 40F and I considered a bike ride but decided not to risk stray patches of ice and went for a jog instead. Jogged 5 miles, mostly easy pace. Hadn't run or done much exercise for a week, trying to conserve energy for emergencies.

When I got home and checked Strava for the first time this week I noticed my Ironman had recently ticked over 10,000 miles -- 10,070.5, as of a week or so ago, my last ride before Snowmaggedon, the Snowpocalypse.

Apparently still my favorite bike, although I've added a couple of carbon fiber bikes since getting the Ironman in 2017.

Looking forward to many more pleasant miles.

I've been doing more running and walking than riding since October, but plan to change that soon.
Freaking awesome. Congrats and keep it going. Wow! 5 miles of running, that's great C- Cat.

Yesterday, finally a break in the weather here in Cen-Tex. 8.5 days or 205 hours of freezing temps and then a high of 41. That is the normal low this time of year. Who knew we could ever be happy about temp in the 40s.
That streak of sub freezing days in a row is a new record here in Cen-Tex seypat
Old 02-20-21, 08:30 AM
seypat

That 40ish is going to feel balmy unless the North wind be blowing. We'll be in the mid to hi 30s, and sunny. Currently figuring out how to get the long weekend run in. We might have patches of ice in the shady areas. A Holly tree went down between me and my neighbor's property line. I have a chainsaw, but it's too wet to do anything without messing up the yard. I think it will be short trainer ride on the beater IM now, then on to the gym for a short treadmill run/swim. Then get a new spark plug for the chainsaw and make sure it's running. Let the yard and streets dry out today. Then saw up the tree and take the long run late tomorrow afternoon. That's the plan.

The fallen branches did not hit either of their vehicles. It was actually a blessing in disguise. He needed to thin out a lot of the tree anyway. Nature did it for him. I was hoping the big branch on the right would have broke during the last 2 nights as well. Didn't happen.

Last edited by seypat; 02-20-21 at 08:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.