Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ride report: Waco Wild West Ride, Sept 17, 2011

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 09:31 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

It had been more that 5 years since my last century but since my ride partner hadn't ever done one, we decided a month ago to train up for one and chose this one for two reasons...the route was reasonably flat; she's from Waco.

Our longest ride had been 78 miles. Last week we had planned on 84 but abandoned at mile 57 due to tire/wheel problems...but we felt we were ready.

She drove up Friday night but I was going to make a day trip out of it (Waco is about 100 miles north), so I spent Friday night making a list and packing everything for a very early start Saturday morning.

The alarm went off at 4:30a and I immediately got up, finalized my packing and was on my way a little before 5a. I found the parking lot for the event at 6:45 and walked over to a nearby hotel to change into my riding clothes.

My ride partner was parked next to me by the time I returned and we prepped the bikes, topped off our water bottles and headed for the start. The highest bib number I saw was 1024, so I assume our numbers totaled somewhere around that.

Looking back at the crowd...faces tense with anticipation.

Not that far to the front of the line...we had a stiff wind in our face as evidenced by the flags. Temps were mid-70s at the start and 95 at the finish. Thankfully, the clouds stayed around most of the day.

We were ready to go.

BF member stdlrf11 was riding this also and we were able to find him in the crowd before the start, shake hands and exchange pleasantries. He actually snapped the picture above. After the start, we didn't see him again so hopefully he had a good ride.

Everyone rolled out in an orderly fashion. We were quickly out onto what would become the theme for the day...long, straight country roads.

We bypassed the first rest stop and stopped at the second where there was a good assortment of snacks and plenty of iced water and gatorade, and plenty of friendly assistance.

Unfortunately, prior to rolling into our first stop, we had passed the site of an accident. Apparently, a rider had gone down in front of a tandem, sending the tandem off the road. The captain was lying on his back in a ditch and several others were standing around. My ride partner is a second year nursing student, so she offered her help. The captain was complaining of neck pain and some numbness, but was completely lucid and more than willing to lie there while help was called. With 911 on its way and nothing more to do, we continued on.

After leaving the rest stop, we finally turned south...and into the teeth of a 15 - 20 mph wind. That was to be the story for the next 30 miles...wind always into us, sometimes at an angle, sometimes dead on...but constant and brutal. Our first 20 miles, we averaged 16.5 mph. That average dropped to 15 over the next 30 and often I would check my computer and see the low teens...it seemed like it took forever for each mile to pass.

Even my ride partner had to force a smile.

And of course there were:

Cows

Long views

Broken houses

And the occasional respite from the wind

<MORE BELOW>

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Last edited by dstrong; 09-18-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 09:35 AM
dstrong 

As we neared the half-way point we knew we'd finally be able to have the wind work in our favor. But before that point, we had to a few more challenges in the form of some "sub par" roads.

There were probably 5 - 6 short "secteurs" of this stuff. It was a bit nerve racking given all the tire problems we had last week...but we made it through without issues.

During this stretch we also rode through a few herds of cattle, grazing beside the road. Thankfully they didn't feel like running along beside us and I refrained from mooing at them for fear they might take up the chase.

After a nice rest stop in Mother Neff State Park, we were headed back to the north with the wind at our backs...but the scenery didn't change much. We were invigorated by the tailwind and had long pulls of 20+ mph which really ate up the miles.

Then the suffering began.

At the next to last rest stop (mile 78), I was really starting to feel the miles, the wind and the heat. I had been trying to hydrate but was definitely running a deficit. My Endurolyte Fizz was starting to not taste very good and my mouth was very dry. I drank as much ice water as I could and ate a Honey Stinger for energy.

As we headed out towards the last rest stop (at mile 90) I had trouble keeping up with my ride partner and so she rode ahead and waited for me at the final stop.

When I reached the stop, I got off the bike and both legs cramped pretty badly so we took a long break. I continued to drink ice water and ate a small bag of Fritos for the salt. It worked. After about 10 minutes I felt like I could finish (I had had my doubts and was eyeing the SAG car sitting at the rest stop).

We hit the road for the final stretch but I rode my pace and she went ahead to the finish. Thankfully, the final 10 miles were pancake flat and the wind was mostly behind me. I rode past the Baylor campus and into downtown to the finish, happy for it to be over.

I stayed on the bike and rode slowly back to the car where we had a celebratory beer.

After resting for about 30 minutes, I packed up and headed back to Austin. I continued to drink water all the way home and was able to fight off the exhaustion. Thankfully the UT game was on the radio (and they were winning) so it kept me awake. I finally arrived home at 6, had a good dinner and was able to get to bed around 10.

Final stats:
Ride time: 6h 33m
Average speed: 15.16
Max speed: 30.77
Average cadence: 87

Last edited by dstrong; 09-19-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 09:38 AM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow. looks like you two had an awesome time! how long did it take you to finish? did you ride together the whole way?
Old 09-18-11, 09:41 AM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, didn't see the second post. WOW! awesome job! this just inspires me to complete my first century! unfortunately I live in a very cold state (so that wont happen until next year). GREAT JOB! (especially facing those hurdles in the wind and gravel road)

Last edited by kbro1986; 09-18-11 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-18-11, 10:41 AM
JoeB14
Huffin' N Puffin

Bikes: Anderson Custom Steel, Trek Madone 5.5, Lightspeed Classic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. Very nice write up, liked the pix as well.
Old 09-18-11, 01:13 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
NIce pics!

I moved to FT Campbell KY 3 years ago after being stationed at FT Hood in Killeen. I did that ride in 2007. The dead grass everywhere in your photos really is testament to the drought you guys are experiencing.
Old 09-18-11, 04:29 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great report!

It was nice meeting you, even though it was only for a few minutes.

I was amazed at how fast everyone started. I was doing 20 and was being passed by everyone, even little old ladies on Schwinns.

I did the Century, including the detour to check out the old family house, in 7 hours flat. The wind was brutal and draining, but I managed to keep a 15mph average.
Old 09-18-11, 04:44 PM
CATS
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just love the picture of the "broken house"
Old 09-18-11, 09:40 PM
dstrong 

Originally Posted by armybikerider
NIce pics!

I moved to FT Campbell KY 3 years ago after being stationed at FT Hood in Killeen. I did that ride in 2007. The dead grass everywhere in your photos really is testament to the drought you guys are experiencing.
It really drove the impact of the drought home to me. I commented several times that the ride would be much nicer in the spring...all the fields had been harvested, some had been turned over...no lawns were getting water for sure and they were all brown. The trees seemed pretty stressed too...turning colors that weren't the "color of fall"...more the "color of dying". Thankfully we've gotten a smidgen of water in several areas around the state this weekend but it's really been more of a tease.

Originally Posted by stdlrf11
Great report!

It was nice meeting you, even though it was only for a few minutes.

I was amazed at how fast everyone started. I was doing 20 and was being passed by everyone, even little old ladies on Schwinns.

I did the Century, including the detour to check out the old family house, in 7 hours flat. The wind was brutal and draining, but I managed to keep a 15mph average.
Congratulations! We took off pretty fast...it's hard not to when the crowd is pumped up. Did you notice whether help had arrived for the fallen cyclist between rest stop 1 & 2?

Originally Posted by CATS
I just love the picture of the "broken house"
It was a more picturesque image than the "broken double-wide"!

Old 09-19-11, 01:40 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was behind the ambulance as it took off.