Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant Halfway

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Giant Halfway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 03:01 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I finally finished with the upgrades suggested (part here part in the Trek F600 thread) and I and extremely happy with my results.

New front ring with 54T;
New crank arms;
New "campus" pedal (one side clipless, one side "normal")

More attention to tire pressure and now my halfway became everything I always wanted.

Thank you all the members that walked me thru letting me reach results that really exceeded my expectations.

Here a couple of images of the new components as well as the 2 bikes together :

Rafael Guerra
Old 10-31-05, 05:02 AM
Mr Folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rafael Thats a really nice halfway. well done on the upgrades and enjoy your ride.
Old 02-11-06, 10:32 AM
roddersg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading so much about the Halfway, I too, decided to try out one. I tried the Halfway RS and the FD-01 (single gear) and decided to get the FD01. It was about 1/2 the price of the RS and not so springy a ride. (Also it was in bright cherry red!!)

After riding the bike for over 30+ miles, I have found that I am missing the necessary speed. The FD01 is great and light on going uphills but on straight roads I lack the speed, since it has a single gear.

What I want to know is whether anyone was able to add/change gearing to a halfway FD01. I would love to have at least 2 lower gears and a third higher gear for stubborn hills. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 02-11-06, 10:57 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because of the cantilever/monoblade rear hub, here is what you can do:

-Request a Giant Halfway rear hub with 7 Speed (they do not have one with 2 or 3 speed, it's 1 like yours or 7);

-You can change the front chainring for one a little bigger, giving you a higher gear (still single speed). You cannot go as big as 50+ (I went with 54T on my RS) because of the frame geometry;

-you can buy one of the few systems that add gears to the front chainring internally. They are VERY expensive, would be cheaper to buy another bike, but it is an option.

And here is what you CANNOT do:

You cannot use an internal Hub. That would give you EXACTLY what you are looking for. That's actually why the RS is a superior bike, you can add pretty much anything conventional to the rear wheel. For the same reason, you cannot use a Dual Drive (combination of internal hub and derailleur).

The Giant Halfway single speed was designed for those without the need of more than one gear. Anything different than that, they have the bikes already vailable for you (Halfway 7S and RS). Mine is the Halfway RS, with proper tunning, it is not springy and now features a nice range of 24 speeds. I can keep a nice 16mph for a few hours, I can reach maximum speeds o 28mph for a few seconds, but I can still go up hills with my bike fully loaded, like on this picture

My suggestion:

If you like the Halfway and need more gears, get the 7S. If you need more than 7S, get the RS. You can block the suspension, change it, whatever you want to make it less springy, and still pla as much as you can with your rear wheel.

Good Luck, come back and let's us know what you do.

Rafael
Old 02-12-06, 10:41 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One speed Halfway owners, is the one speed available in North America? Does it still require a chain tensioner? Does it have a coaster brake? My favourite local dealer sells Giant as a staple .

I was looking at a Halfway before but the derailleur and hand brake turned me away. Now I hear there is a one speed version.
Old 02-12-06, 11:26 AM
igor455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 500 beanos may be a problem, the justification however is that you want it. Remember that this is not a drill and this is your only shot. As i get older (59) and more beat up iI realize that one must go for it.
My friends say i have been going for it all along. I recently bought a dahon 3spd piccalo just because it looked neat and i wanted to try it. I have two bike ridaysx a NWT and PT so i certainly didnt need it. My va benefits were significantly upped and i felt the need to try one. Its cool and i realy get a workout with only 3 spds.
Soooo if you can afford it go for it. Sorry i cant help with the 500 beanos however
Old 02-08-21, 11:59 PM
zychew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
Because of the cantilever/monoblade rear hub, here is what you can do:

-Request a Giant Halfway rear hub with 7 Speed (they do not have one with 2 or 3 speed, it's 1 like yours or 7);

-You can change the front chainring for one a little bigger, giving you a higher gear (still single speed). You cannot go as big as 50+ (I went with 54T on my RS) because of the frame geometry;

-you can buy one of the few systems that add gears to the front chainring internally. They are VERY expensive, would be cheaper to buy another bike, but it is an option.

And here is what you CANNOT do:

You cannot use an internal Hub. That would give you EXACTLY what you are looking for. That's actually why the RS is a superior bike, you can add pretty much anything conventional to the rear wheel. For the same reason, you cannot use a Dual Drive (combination of internal hub and derailleur).

The Giant Halfway single speed was designed for those without the need of more than one gear. Anything different than that, they have the bikes already vailable for you (Halfway 7S and RS). Mine is the Halfway RS, with proper tunning, it is not springy and now features a nice range of 24 speeds. I can keep a nice 16mph for a few hours, I can reach maximum speeds o 28mph for a few seconds, but I can still go up hills with my bike fully loaded, like on this picture

My suggestion:

If you like the Halfway and need more gears, get the 7S. If you need more than 7S, get the RS. You can block the suspension, change it, whatever you want to make it less springy, and still pla as much as you can with your rear wheel.

Good Luck, come back and let's us know what you do.

Rafael
Hello, I've been thinking of upgrading my halfway single speed with gears to make climbing hills easier. I was wondering if I get a Giant Halfway rear hub with 7 Speed, wouldn't it throw the centre off seeing as the rear hub thickness will increase? I assume the 7s frame arm is tiled out more to accomodate the rear hub with gears.

Also, why wouldn't an internal rear hub work? Like sturmey archer? I'm new at this and genuinely curious.

Thank you!