Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kabuki owner gave me his old steed, how old?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 12:31 AM
Velosophy

Bikes: Old Carlton frame and fork. Old Nishiki frame and fork, single speed build? 2003 Scattante full carbon/Ultegra. 90’s trek steel with full 600(purchased for the components) Also vintage K2 full suspension

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts

Very cool of previous owner to give me this bike as he trouble selling and was going to throw it in bulk trash. It has a complete mosh mash of parts. Vintage 600 rear derailleur, low end shimano front derailleur not being used as it was changed to single up front. Bar end shifters, dia compe brakes. Which I actually really like the brake levers and plan to use on my old Charlton. Decent frame/fork is too big for me but I plan to put a nice paint job on it and pay it forward. Non aero brakes,

figure it was originally late 70s, what say you?
Old 04-02-24, 06:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
With the fancy lugs and chrome socks, I like it and guessing it's close to top of the line. Quite likely made by Bridgestone, and if so it's made in '79.
If this was mine and didn't fit, Id just clean up the paint, it looks pretty good to me.
Old 04-02-24, 06:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
It doesn’t have the typical Bridgestone Kabuki headbadge and I don’t recognize the lugs. Mine is late seventies and was top of the line back then . Their top models were labeled Diamond Formula , either Road or Touring.

Typical headbadge , this one from a 1980 Submariner.
Old 04-02-24, 06:48 AM
Velosophy

Bikes: Old Carlton frame and fork. Old Nishiki frame and fork, single speed build? 2003 Scattante full carbon/Ultegra. 90’s trek steel with full 600(purchased for the components) Also vintage K2 full suspension

Yes the head badge is missing unfortunately. You can feel the two small rivet holes underneath the sticker. It was missing when previous owner took possession. I may just do some sticker removal before selling, we’ll see
Old 04-02-24, 07:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Every once in a while an original headbadge will show up on eBay . Too bad it is the wrong size for you. I bought my Diamond Formula new and still have it. It just rides very nicely , maybe because I got it in my twenties and there’s that sentimental thing. I sold my Submariner because it was super heavy , stainless steel tubing. Some of the Kabuki bikes used a bonded frame , like the Submariner and I was not impressed with them , they even tried to imitate the brazed lug design in the casting.
Old 04-02-24, 09:47 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Ooh! I like those headlugs! How "too big" is it?
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 04-02-24, 09:51 PM
Velosophy

I think it’s about a 60cm. It’s approx 24 1/2. Yes it’s a nice looking frame. I do think it was made by Bridgestone. Maybe someone can decode the serial no in that one picture. Previous owner said he put 2500 great miles on it. But has gone all late model and needed to thin the heard. It’s a great base for vintage build but it’s 4cm too big for me
Old 04-03-24, 07:18 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 518 Posts
According to the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html, it looks like it could be manufactured in November 1979, so for the 1980 model year.

BRIDGESTONE (Japan): Myxxxxx & Fyxxxxx.
Grant Peterson, who was designer for Bridgestone starting in the mid-1980s, has stated that the alpha character is a month indicator, however, apparent fortnight indicators a high as "T" have been seen as early as 1973. The formats are easily confused with Miyata.