Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

56 Corvette rear flat tire

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 10:27 AM
Budster66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do I remove rear tire with the 3 speed gear assembly 😳😳
Old 04-14-24, 10:57 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
First, determine the brand of 3 speed hub, probably Sturmey Archer or Shimano. In either case, you’ll probably see a ring or nut that must be unthreaded, near where cable attaches to hub hardware, before loosening axle nuts on either side. If it has a coaster brake, there will be another bolt to remove at the brake arm too.
Old 04-14-24, 10:58 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 518 Posts
I assume you are referring to the Schwinn bike and not the car? Shift it into high gear, to remove tension from the shift cable. There should be a barrel that is threaded in both ends like a turnbuckle where the cable enters the axle. It should have a jamb nut that you will have to hold while you loosen the barrel. Some are hex, some are knurled. Unscrew it all the way to separate the cable, then you can loosen the axle nuts and remove the wheel. You may have to loosen the brakes to get the wheel back on after you fix the flat.

To put it back together, install the wheel with the chain around the sprocket. The chain should have about 1/2 inch of deflection when it is the right tension. Reattach the cable to the barrel. Put the shifter in the second position, sometimes marked N. Adjust the cable tension with the barrel until the shoulder of the shift rod is even with the end of the axle as viewed through the hole in the axle nut. Tighten the jamb nut to lock the barrel. Check that all the gears shift properly and you are done!
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-14-24, 11:00 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
First, determine the brand of 3 speed hub, probably Sturmey Archer or Shimano. In either case, you’ll probably see a ring or nut that must be unthreaded, near where cable attaches to hub hardware, before loosening axle nuts on either side. If it has a coaster brake, there will be another bolt to remove at the brake arm too.
Good point, I forgot that a bike from that era might have a coaster brake.
Old 04-14-24, 12:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
Hey, if it's not stock, the OP is going to have to describe what they got.

The 1956 Schwinn catalog shows factory equipment caliper brakes and specifies a Sturmey-Archer AW 3-speed, probably with an alloy (aluminum) hub shell:

Fun fact: Shimano had yet to build their first hub gear in 1956.

If you're just patching the tube, cool. If the rubber is dry/shot/crumbly/cracked, PAY ATTENTION TO THE MARKED TIRE SIZE. The specs say the 1956 Schwinn middleweights were fitted with S-7 size tires. Those are ISO47x571mm - an unusual size in 2024, but available.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-14-24, 02:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Hopefully writing about bikes, the 1956 Chevrolet Corvette had a 3 speed manual as standard.

the trick on a Sturmey archer equipped bicycle is to readjust the shift indicator chain after assembly.
sheldonbrown I think still has a lesson on that.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-14-24, 02:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Hopefully writing about bikes, the 1956 Chevrolet Corvette had a 3 speed manual as standard.

the trick on a Sturmey archer equipped bicycle is to readjust the shift indicator chain after assembly.
sheldonbrown I think still has a lesson on that.
The Sheldon Brown pages are still there:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html
but I didn’t see anything about removing and reinstalling the rear wheel.

That being said, I learned how to do this on my first 3-speed Schwinn when I was 10 years old. The only thing I can add to the above is to tighten the axle nuts enough to keep the axle from shifting but not too tight. The nuts are relatively easy to strip and are an unusual thread.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 04-14-24, 03:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The Sheldon Brown pages are still there:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html
but I didn’t see anything about removing and reinstalling the rear wheel.

That being said, I learned how to do this on my first 3-speed Schwinn when I was 10 years old. The only thing I can add to the above is to tighten the axle nuts enough to keep the axle from shifting but not too tight. The nuts are relatively easy to strip and are an unusual thread.
one does need perspective, you are correct.
I was faced with a rear flat tire on my 3 speed Sting-Ray when I was 8 years old. So, I did discount exposure to basic rear wheel removal and installation.
way back I did find a bicycle maintenance book at the public library in the adult section. A bit intimidating wandering through those aisles.
on the Sting-Ray the hidden procedure if figured was to remove the rear brake pads if the tire was inflated- it was much wider than the rim. No problem going out as the tire was limp. No quick releases.
one just has to think things through.