Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vertical jump and cycling training

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-26-20, 03:06 PM
Avocados

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know or have any experience about vertical jump height changing after cycling training??
I have a good body to jump high but my vertical jump is very average (20 inches!!!) is this caused by practicing cycling or is just genetics?? Thanks
Old 03-26-20, 05:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
What was your vertical before picking up cycling?
And do you practice very specific exercises or just assume you are good to get up since you have a good bod for it(not really sure what that means)?
Old 03-26-20, 06:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Genetics.
Old 03-26-20, 09:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I would guess that your vertical jump would suffer from the usual cycling training. Cycling is an endurance sport, emphasis on slow twitch muscles, vs. jumping, emphasis on fast twitch. The two types can convert back and forth to quite an extent with training. The same cyclist can train either to be a sprinter or a climber, and be fairly good at either one, but not as good at both at once. Of course if you never had a good jump, maybe it's genetics for you. Cycling won't help though.
Old 03-27-20, 01:58 AM
Avocados

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What was your vertical before picking up cycling?
And do you practice very specific exercises or just assume you are good to get up since you have a good bod for it(not really sure what that means)?
Just assume i'm good to jump since i have a good body to do it....ahahah
Old 03-27-20, 05:16 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I would guess that your vertical jump would suffer from the usual cycling training. Cycling is an endurance sport, emphasis on slow twitch muscles, vs. jumping, emphasis on fast twitch. The two types can convert back and forth to quite an extent with training. The same cyclist can train either to be a sprinter or a climber, and be fairly good at either one, but not as good at both at once. Of course if you never had a good jump, maybe it's genetics for you. Cycling won't help though.
Increasing the slow twitch ratio is much easier than the other way around - “sprinters are born, not made”.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 03-27-20, 05:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Avocados
Just assume i'm good to jump since i have a good body to do it....ahahah
just assume I'm out on this thread until it becomes clearer it's actually serious.

You did t answer my questions and I really dont l ow how you quantify having g a good body to jump. If you have a good body to jump high then you fan jump high, yet you are at 20"...

Good luck with your quest to improve your vert or to troll.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-27-20, 06:15 AM
Avocados

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
just assume I'm out on this thread until it becomes clearer it's actually serious.

You did t answer my questions and I really dont l ow how you quantify having g a good body to jump. If you have a good body to jump high then you fan jump high, yet you are at 20"...

Good luck with your quest to improve your vert or to troll.
Sorry, i didn't mean to sound not very serious, i just mean that i assume my vertical jump should be higher than 20 inches, because I have a good body to jump high (long legs and lightweight), so my question was : is my bad vertical affected by cycling training or is just genetics?
Old 03-27-20, 06:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Avocados
Sorry, i didn't mean to sound not very serious, i just mean that i assume my vertical jump should be higher than 20 inches, because I have a good body to jump high (long legs and lightweight), so my question was : is my bad vertical affected by cycling training or is just genetics?
Jumping high has to be trained, just like cycling fast. I doubt that cycling physically hurts your jumping ability, but it probably takes up your training schedule.
Old 03-27-20, 06:48 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Having long legs and low body weight means little by itself. Vertical jump is about strength to weight ratio and fast to slow twitch muscle fiber ratio, plus specific technique and conditioning. Finally, your vertical jump seems to be at the top end of average or slightly above average. Not bad at all for someone who, I'm guessing, has spent little to no time actually training for jumping.
Old 03-27-20, 05:52 PM
Avocados

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
Having long legs and low body weight means little by itself. Vertical jump is about strength to weight ratio and fast to slow twitch muscle fiber ratio, plus specific technique and conditioning. Finally, your vertical jump seems to be at the top end of average or slightly above average. Not bad at all for someone who, I'm guessing, has spent little to no time actually training for jumping.
Be in the average, for an atlethic 16 yrs old guy with long and strong, but skinny legs, (im just 55 kg for 180 cm, good in climbs) is not good, however i ve never done plyometrics training, but i think it s genetics( based on the answers...)
Old 03-27-20, 06:34 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
How does it matter what your vertical jump is?
Sure it counts if required in the sport you do (Athletics, basketball) in which case you would specifically train for it.
Outside of that it doesn't matter.