Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Feature would you like to see implemented on Strava to start paying for it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What Feature would you like to see implemented on Strava to start paying for it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 09:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ckmak
That is rather elitist. A lot of people don't run powermeters.
A lot of the people that are dedicated enough to be towards the pointy end of leader boards do. And to clarify, he's just saying that he wants a filter so that he can see only those entries - he's not saying that you should be barred from segment leader boards if you don't have a PM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-20, 09:48 AM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A lot of the people that are dedicated enough to be towards the pointy end of leader boards do. And to clarify, he's just saying that he wants a filter so that he can see only those entries - he's not saying that you should be barred from segment leader boards if you don't have a PM.
Ah ok, I was under the impression that Bah Humbug wanted them removed from the leaderboards. So my apologies if i misunderstood. A filter would be useful for sure so users can compare themselves to the demographics they see fit.
Old 05-25-20, 09:51 AM
WhyFi

Ah ok, I was under the impression that Bah Humbug wanted them removed from the leaderboards. So my apologies if i misunderstood. A filter would be useful for sure so users can compare themselves to the demographics they see fit.
Nope - he just doesn't want to see them. I can understand that, too - a lot of Top 10s have a number of people that didn't stop the phone app before getting in to their car after their 14mph bike ride, so it's just noise.
Old 05-25-20, 10:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
​​​​​​​That is rather elitist. A lot of people don't run powermeters.
As opposed to filtering by age, sex, and weight? I really don't care. People without powermeters can be in the general leaderboard. What I suggested is no different from the anti-cheating efforts in Zwift. Strava's leaderboards are worthless when littered with people using wonky phone GPS and leaving it on while driving home from their rides.

Edit: Yup, WhyFi understands. This would be an addition to the filters currently available to subscribers.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-25-20, 10:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I rode a long, steep hill the other day, happy to do 8 mph. #1 on the segment leaderboard went up the hill at 35 mph with no heart or power data. Avatar is of an unshaved hippie on his way to Critical Mass. This was a Garmin segment and they don't have a way to flag fake data.

A coworker got an eBike recently. She says of course she Stravas her rides. She came to Strava as a runner and uses it as a journal of her activity, so using it on a motor bike feels normal to her. She says if it bothers other people it's their problem. I can see why @Bah Humbug would want to filter. If you're doing well on a competitive segment you didn't get there without training.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-29-20, 06:24 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I rode a long, steep hill the other day, happy to do 8 mph. #1 on the segment leaderboard went up the hill at 35 mph with no heart or power data. Avatar is of an unshaved hippie on his way to Critical Mass. This was a Garmin segment and they don't have a way to flag fake data.

A coworker got an eBike recently. She says of course she Stravas her rides. She came to Strava as a runner and uses it as a journal of her activity, so using it on a motor bike feels normal to her. She says if it bothers other people it's their problem. I can see why @Bah Humbug would want to filter. If you're doing well on a competitive segment you didn't get there without training.
I thought there was an eBike option
Old 05-29-20, 08:43 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I'd like to see Strava start their week on Sunday like the rest of the world. They currently start their week on Monday.

How can they be so technically advanced, but not understand the Gregorian calendar?
Old 05-29-20, 08:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I'd like them to offer free lifetime premium memberships for anyone that signed up in their first year, and has ridden 10k miles or more every year since.
Old 05-29-20, 09:01 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
That's fine. KOMs are, by definition, elitist efforts.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 05-29-20, 09:05 AM
rubiksoval

Automatic flagging would be my biggest want. If Strava can fairly accurately predict anticipated time to complete a route based on my data, they should be able to pretty accurately flag everyone that's driving around in their cars after their rides, or loading rides as runs, etc. If you've never averaged over 15 mph on a ride and you all of the sudden get 5 KOMs at 35 mph, then hey, there's a clue.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 05-31-20, 01:29 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Automatic flagging would be my biggest want. If Strava can fairly accurately predict anticipated time to complete a route based on my data, they should be able to pretty accurately flag everyone that's driving around in their cars after their rides, or loading rides as runs, etc. If you've never averaged over 15 mph on a ride and you all of the sudden get 5 KOMs at 35 mph, then hey, there's a clue.
that could be cool to remove the last 10 or 15 km of a ride from KOM classification if you forgot to turn it off when starting to drive your car or when you turn on the battery motor of your ebike
Old 05-31-20, 05:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by dr_max
I thought there was an eBike option
Lol that just makes it better! So she has a good cover story but she's really trolling roadies. Seems like the kind of person who would too.
Old 05-31-20, 05:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I'd like to see Strava start their week on Sunday like the rest of the world. They currently start their week on Monday.

How can they be so technically advanced, but not understand the Gregorian calendar?
I appreciate that Garmin lets you choose. My week starts Monday. I like having my weekend activity grouped together. Just makes more sense to me. I used to travel with my bike in the old days when people traveled, I'd do a ride Saturday and another one Sunday before heading home.
Old 05-31-20, 07:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

TrainingPeaks starts on Monday. Starting on Monday is correct. I will not hear arguments to the contrary.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-31-20, 07:05 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
A native iPad/Tablet app -- at this point it's just principle of forcing them to submit to my desire.
Old 06-04-20, 01:07 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
TrainingPeaks starts on Monday. Starting on Monday is correct. I will not hear arguments to the contrary.
A week that begins on Monday is only "correct" for those that do not know how to tell time. Enjoy being ignorant.
Old 06-04-20, 01:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
A week that begins on Monday is only "correct" for those that do not know how to tell time. Enjoy being ignorant.
If a week is supposed to start on Sunday, why is Sunday part of a "weekend" ?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-04-20, 01:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

What was that? I can’t hear you.
Old 06-04-20, 01:40 PM
WhyFi

From a load management/training perspective, counting the consecutive sat/sun as the same week makes more sense, which is why that's the norm for runners and cyclists.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-04-20, 02:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
God damnit, this makes too much sense.
Old 06-04-20, 02:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
From a load management/training perspective, counting the consecutive sat/sun as the same week makes more sense, which is why that's the norm for runners and cyclists.
No way, man. I'm completely fresh and rested on Sunday because the calendar says it's a different week.
Old 06-04-20, 02:28 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
And there it is!
Old 06-04-20, 02:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Actually the Illuminati split the weekend into two different weeks because it helps reptilians like the Queen of England dial it up to 400 watts.
Old 06-05-20, 05:53 AM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
soon we will all have power meters of some sort. I like the idea of the Velopod device that can be moved from bike to bike quite easily.
Old 06-05-20, 06:12 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
My Wahoo starts the week on Sunday. Has led me to waste some not insignificant time trying to figure out why Wahoo and Strava seemed out of sync in weekly mileage.

Given how much is customizable on these platforms, and that this is quite likely only a couple of lines of code, I’m surprised there is no way to choose when you want your week to start. If you’re a Muslim a celebrate Friday as the day of rest, your week can start on Saturday. Jews, Sunday. Christians, Monday. Godless communists, I don’t know, why not Wednesday. Though I could see how for Strava, where you want some common measure of “activities/miles this week,” that could introduce some discrepancies between users.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.