Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jersey too large - sell, buy the right size, or live with it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-20, 09:33 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

First world problem here. I have a very nice merino wool jersey. I bought the jersey online, based on the sizing charts. When the jersey arrived I realized it was too big. Because I bought the jersey on sale, there are no returns. I decided to live with it as best I could. I mean it's just a jersey that's a little on the big side right?

Well after some rides I'm realizing the 'bigness' of the jersey is starting to bother me a little. Thing is, the jersey is long sleeve and I don't know how much use the jersey will get before summer fully hits and I'm in short sleeves for a few months. Anyway.

My question is what do you folks do with clothing items that are too large? Wear them? Sell them and then buy the right size? Any ideas/suggestions?

Cheers.

PS When I say the jersey is too large, the jersey is still functional. It just isn't as form fitted as a proper sized one would be.
Old 05-23-20, 09:40 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
I'd sell it and get the right size.

But what I hate is not getting back what I paid. Then again, it's better than having a jersey that I'll never wear.
Old 05-23-20, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If you can't return it, how much are you realistically going to get for it and what kind of time/hassle will be necessary?

I'd probably save it for the winter when the extra size will better accommodate a base layer or two and my winter girth. I might also be tempted to throw it in the dryer for short increments to see if I could induce some controlled shrinkage.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-23-20, 10:46 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Old 05-23-20, 10:58 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
It's too late now but I would have asked for an exchange anyway. I think a lot of companies would be willing if they have the correct size and you pay shipping. I bought some pants last year on sale, "no returns", didn't know what size to get, so I just asked ahead of time if I could buy both sizes and return one and they said sure.

Too big is better than too small. I have several pieces that are barely used but now too small after I spent 18 months in the weight room.
Old 05-23-20, 10:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Hang onto it, there's a very high likelihood it will fit you at some point.

I have accumulated dozens and dozens of jerseys of various sizes, from thrift stores, where they can be had for $5-10 each. I don't know if this is typical, but during a typical riding year, I can gain and lose 10-15 lbs easily. So what fits me in July may not fit in January, but I have so many sizes of jerseys available, there's always one I can pull out that fits me 100% perfectly. Many jerseys look ridiculous if you gain as little as 5 lbs, from my experience.

And i think back to all the times I gave away / threw away perfectly good clothes, telling myself, "There is no WAY I will ever weigh that much again!"
Old 05-23-20, 12:32 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
First world problem here. I have a very nice merino wool jersey. I bought the jersey online, based on the sizing charts. When the jersey arrived I realized it was too big. Because I bought the jersey on sale, there are no returns. I decided to live with it as best I could. I mean it's just a jersey that's a little on the big side right?

Well after some rides I'm realizing the 'bigness' of the jersey is starting to bother me a little. Thing is, the jersey is long sleeve and I don't know how much use the jersey will get before summer fully hits and I'm in short sleeves for a few months. Anyway.

My question is what do you folks do with clothing items that are too large? Wear them? Sell them and then buy the right size? Any ideas/suggestions?
Buy the right size. Jerseys which don't fit flap annoyingly and don't work as well wicking sweat.
Old 05-23-20, 01:54 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Take it to an alteration shop and have them make it fit. I have some jerseys that are now too big and I’m going to see if they can be altered.
Likes For bung:
Old 05-23-20, 02:02 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Whatever cycling jerseys that are too loose are just repurposed for hikes, dog walks and today it's shoveling gravel.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-23-20 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-23-20, 02:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Now you have to get fat.

Take it to a place that does alterations.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-23-20, 02:25 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Maybe a good hot wash will fix it
Old 05-23-20, 02:28 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I actually did that once, and aside from some fabric ink bleeding, it worked great. But then i gained weight and it no longer fit.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-23-20, 06:28 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
All our shirts seem to magically shrink season to season. Just put it away for a year.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-23-20, 09:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Knit wool is fairly flexible and can shrink or stretch a bit. I wouldn't use hot water but I'd try lukewarm and let it dry on my body. I've reshaped my old wool jersey that way when hanging it to dry left an uneven stretched out spots in the shoulders. Or put it on dry and have someone spritz you with water. Ride until dry.
Old 05-23-20, 10:38 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks for the suggestion to take the jersey in to a tailor. I don't know what I didn't think of that . Great idea.

Failing that, the idea to throw the jersey in the dryer and attempt to get some shrinkage is my back up plan.
Old 05-24-20, 02:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Thanks for the suggestion to take the jersey in to a tailor. I don't know what I didn't think of that . Great idea.

Failing that, the idea to throw the jersey in the dryer and attempt to get some shrinkage is my back up plan.
You know what? It is warm right now, but it won't be that way forever. When you need a long sleeve warm jersey, you may also need undergarments. Unless I could return and exchange such a jersey without any financial outlay, I would keep it. Long sleeve wool jerseys are for cool to cold weather, they often need additional underwear when temperatures go down
Old 05-25-20, 09:58 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by bung
Take it to an alteration shop and have them make it fit. I have some jerseys that are now too big and I’m going to see if they can be altered.
^^^ I'd vote this as the best answer if there was a way to vote. If the jersey was expensive (wool usually is), then a few more dollars spent to get the jersey to fit you perfectly would be well worth it.

Otherwise, used cycling clothing rarely has any resale value. If there's one used item I'm not interested in paying a lot for, it's someone else's used and stinky old bike clothing.
Old 05-25-20, 04:35 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Save the Merino wool jersey for the Fall/Winter months. You'll appreciate it then.
Old 05-26-20, 08:31 AM
NoWhammies

I'm going to take the jersey to the tailor this afternoon and see what she can tell me. Depending on the cost to have the jersey tailored, I might just suck it up and learn to live with it. Either that or shell our the cake for a more appropriate sized one.