Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 07:44 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Those are the Speed Concept tri-bars that connect to the top of Madone's stem cap. They bolt on or off in about five minutes.

Old 12-09-19, 02:58 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

Dipping my toe into the gravel pool... certainly not the sexiest, lightest, or best-outfitted option on the market, but it's a comfortable ride for a great price (2018 closeout, the best way to buy, IMHO).
Old 12-09-19, 08:54 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
...and no, the reflectors on the wheels are not staying.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 12-10-19, 11:31 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Easily one of the better $20 investments I've made in my bikes.

Since all of my tires are tubeless, and I cycle between riding my bikes, sometimes several days will go by between rides on a particular one. What I find frustrating on my pump (Bontrager dual pump for both HP and HV tires) is that attaching and detaching the pump often results in significant air loss. With the JACO, there's almost no loss of pressure at attachment or detachment, what little there is, it's just a small fraction of what happens with the floor pump. This lets me check my air pressure quickly, and if it's within the desired range, I know it will still be there even when I detach it.

Also the bleed valve is cool because, as I mentioned with the Bontrager pump, if I want to pump something up to 65psi, I have to overshoot it by a bit and hope that it's a clean detachment, otherwise I may bleed out more air than intended. With the JACO, if I slightly overshoot the PSI with the pump, I can accurately bleed it down to exactly where I want it, knowing the JACO only loses a tiny amount of air.

For those who are interested in buying, there is a warning on the Amazon page that this is intended for higher pressures up to 160psi, "if you want 60psi or less you should buy the 60psi version". The problem there is that the 60psi version maxes at that pressure. So if you're like me and have a gravel bike you run at 45, and road bikes you run at 65 or higher, it seems you have to buy both. You don't. This measures my gravel bike tires just fine and lines up well with the Bontrager measurement (within 1psi of each other) whether I'm doing the gravel or road tires. Maybe at sub-60 psi the other device is more accurate, or has finer measurement gradations, but I find this to be good enough for all my tires. Now if you are a MTBer perhaps the lower psi model makes sense...since I' m not I can't speak to that.
Old 12-10-19, 01:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A spoke.
It was $1 with free shipping. Felt bad so I ordered 5.
Old 12-10-19, 01:13 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A spoke.
It was $1 with free shipping. Felt bad so I ordered 5.
Did you do it separately?
Old 12-10-19, 03:00 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Bought this little bike wall mount. I wanted something small and clean looking, and this fits the bill nicely. Only downside is you have to keep the tires inflated or your bike will fall out of the rack. Not a big deal for me though. I found one on craigslist for $10 after seeing them in a bike store for $25.
Old 12-10-19, 05:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman

Dipping my toe into the gravel pool... certainly not the sexiest, lightest, or best-outfitted option on the market, but it's a comfortable ride for a great price (2018 closeout, the best way to buy, IMHO).
I like the way you describe the bike here. It’s not exciting, but it’s gonna be a fun gateway drug.
Old 12-10-19, 06:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
...and no, the reflectors on the wheels are not staying.
I have always thought the side reflections are a bit late since the car only saw the reflection likely 2 seconds before they hit you.

Bright front lights ftw. If you look like a car headlight coming, better.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-10-19, 06:27 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I have always thought the side reflections are a bit late since the car only saw the reflection likely 2 seconds before they hit you.

+1. I don't use any wheel/pedal reflectors. Powerful headlight and tail-light, and if you can get a head- and tail-light with the "viewable from the side" feature, that's better than reflectors.
Old 12-11-19, 12:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Originally Posted by CarloM
+1. I don't use any wheel/pedal reflectors. Powerful headlight and tail-light, and if you can get a head- and tail-light with the "viewable from the side" feature, that's better than reflectors.
Best side visibility at night is with wheel mounted LEDs. Nothing else makes a bike pop out of the background clutter of other cars and city lights like rotating LEDs. They add a little weight and I use 'em only on my hybrids for casual rides and errands. But I may add some to my steel road bike since it won't add significant weight.

For now my compromise is helmet lights, little but bright USB blinkies strapped front and rear. I got 4 years of regular use, several times a week, from a Blackburn 2'Fer before its runtime per charge significantly decreased.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-11-19, 06:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Best side visibility at night is with wheel mounted LEDs. Nothing else makes a bike pop out of the background clutter of other cars and city lights like rotating LEDs. They add a little weight and I use 'em only on my hybrids for casual rides and errands. But I may add some to my steel road bike since it won't add significant weight.

For now my compromise is helmet lights, little but bright USB blinkies strapped front and rear. I got 4 years of regular use, several times a week, from a Blackburn 2'Fer before its runtime per charge significantly decreased.
I rely on my helmet-mounted Cygolite Metro Pro 1100 headlight. It probably isn't as effective as if it were constantly firing both left and right of me, but when I look directly at a driver, I have not yet had one fail to very quickly see me and when required, stop immediately. This happened just last night in town coming home from the local Pearl District Safeway. My normal route home (it's just a mile or so) has stop signs for me at every single block. It's fine, I am never in a hurry in town. However, there is one section where I can go two whole blocks (!) without stopping because the crossing street there does have its own stop sign. Cars there never want to stop for me. There must be a dark spot or something for them, but they often do not see my very bright bar lights. It's weird, they just don't seem to see them. So, I always slow way down there and assume some vehicle is going to either roll or totally blow through that stop. It's just what happens. Happened again last evening. Car rolled up, slowed, then began accelerating as it was clearly my right of way to move on through the intersection. I immediately almost stopped and turned directly toward the driver. She finally saw my headlight, then me, hit her brakes, waved apologetically, and I moved through the intersection without being hit.

The helmet light has proven to be very effective for me as a 'be seen' measure as well as a 'see' measure. I wouldn't give it up for the world.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-11-19, 06:39 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Easily one of the better $20 investments I've made in my bikes.
Coming from the motorbike world, I know how important correct pressure can be. I picked this up too. It works well and accurately tells me how far off my Lezyne floor pump is (~8psi over). I adjust pressure before every ride.
Old 12-11-19, 11:13 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Coming from the motorbike world, I know how important correct pressure can be. I picked this up too. It works well and accurately tells me how far off my Lezyne floor pump is (~8psi over). I adjust pressure before every ride.
Phew I was worried I was just OCD...or maybe we both are!

To give Bontrager's pump credit, it was within 1psi of this, so it's pretty accurate. It just is annoying that the way it attaches and detaches is so finicky, sometimes I'll only lose 1psi or less, others a lot more. And I could never use the Bonty to check pressure because of the loss both ways, so even if my psi was close to where I wanted it, by checking it I'd lose maybe a combined 3psi. So now the JACO gives me confidence in checking knowing that I'll lose less than half a PSI (probably much less) in the process. This helped me confirm that my new tubeless GravelKings sealed properly overnight after the first ride because I lost only 1 psi overnight vs. the first night I set them up (and prior to my first ride) where I lost 4-5 psi and I thought I screwed it up.

EDIT: I will say this, as a slight amendment to my previous post. If you do primarily live in the sub-60psi range, the other version does make sense, because the gradations here are 2psi with each hash mark. I know people running in the 20s and 30s may want hash marks that are down to a single psi point. In fact, I'm so happy with this one that I'm contemplating getting that specifically for the gravel bike (and any future MTB I might decide to buy) and reserve this one for my road bikes.

2nd EDIT: I see on Amazon's page the 60psi version's hash marks still equal 2psi jump (so there are 5 hash marks between 10 psi differences) but the hashmarks are much further spaced apart, so it would be easier to tell when you're at an odd-number PSI than on the 160 version. So their recommendation is accurate, if you primarily do sub-60, buy that version, but this one will do both, it's just that the hash marks are closer together which will give you less fine readings at lower pressure.

Last edited by CarloM; 12-11-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 12:03 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Picked up lightly used RD-9000 front and rear derailleur's for my Felt DA. Replacing the 105 that I'm taking off for another bike, at least that's my excuse/justification.
Old 12-16-19, 06:06 PM
bpcyclist

Just ordered a Cookie Monster jersey. Ha!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-17-19, 11:54 AM
sempre1

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre xr1/ Wilier Cento1air/Giant trc adv 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Likes For sempre1:
Old 12-17-19, 01:54 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Picked this up for Christmas. Little bit of an upgrade from my 12 yr old Motobecane.
Likes For Genaro:
Old 12-17-19, 02:55 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Don't actually have it yet but ordered this on Saturday. 2019 Roubaix Comp DI2. Looking forward to my first new road bike.

Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-17-19, 03:01 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Don't actually have it yet but ordered this on Saturday. 2019 Roubaix Comp DI2. Looking forward to my first new road bike.

Man, I am not normally a Specialized guy, but I just love that color scheme.
Old 12-17-19, 03:28 PM
Ogsarg

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Man, I am not normally a Specialized guy, but I just love that color scheme.
I haven't seen that color in person so hoping it looks good in the flesh. If I bought on color alone, I would have gone with the green Cervelo C5.
Old 12-17-19, 06:03 PM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
2019 Synapse

2019 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra. Sadly it's winter so I just get to look at it until the snow is gone. I got a great deal so it's well worth it.
Old 12-17-19, 06:17 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I haven't seen that color in person so hoping it looks good in the flesh. If I bought on color alone, I would have gone with the green Cervelo C5.
It looks like the paint schemes they are putting on gravel bikes lately. I think its where road bikes are headed. I'd expect to see alot less black / white and more soft tones such as this nice Specialized you got.
I got a red bike because,,,,, you know... faster...
Old 12-17-19, 06:43 PM
Ogsarg

The only requirement I had for color was that it not be matte black. While it appears to be wildly popular, I really dislike it.
Old 12-17-19, 06:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The only requirement I had for color was that it not be matte black. While it appears to be wildly popular, I really dislike it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.