Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Bags For Credit Card Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 03:19 PM
Roustabout

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am finally getting ready to pull the trigger on buying some panniers and other bags for future credit card touring. I know that I don't need lots of space and volume to pack, since my wife and I will be staying in motels, etc. My wife and I each currently have 2012 Trek 520's. Both came with rear racks. I have a seatbag on mine and have thought about getting an Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Classic Medium handlebar bag, backroller classic rear pannier set, and maybe the medium rackpack to also go on the rear rack. Is this probably too much, too little, and will the balance be OK when riding? Also would she need these same bags also or could I just spread these bags out between the two of us? I know that this is somewhat subjective to each rider but wondered if this is a reasonable configuration. Appreciate all the input.

Oilfieldtrash
Old 03-01-12, 03:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Id get a front rack too. 1 at least, you can haul the heavy stuff there,
the wife keeps up easier if the hubby is the one with most stuff aboard..

Don't like a light front / tail heavy ride, myself , YMMV..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-01-12, 04:15 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One barbag and on rear bag each. Carradice saddlebags are ideal but single pannier or racktop bag will do the job. You could use 2 smaller panniers but that is a lot bag for the load.
Old 03-01-12, 04:22 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you are ready to buy, buy them from thetouringstore.com

Call up the owner, his name is Wayne. Great guy and VERY helpful/
Old 03-01-12, 05:14 PM
Yumadons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Each of you will want a handlebar bag for snacks, money, gloves, ipods, etc. Buy the panniers you want and you haul most of ya'lls stuff. Since your wife will want to have a warm jacket and raingear at hand, REI's Novara Commuter Rack Trunk is small, cheap and perfect. It's a yellow rack trunk with expanding zip-away panniers, perfect for carrying a few things. Here's a picture. DH and I did a credit card TransAm this summer with this setup:

https://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc...pic_id=1035236
Old 03-01-12, 05:30 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on where you're going and how long you're planning.

On my last tour, a credit card tour, I had waterproof rear panniers with a 46 litre capacity and a small handlebar bag. I was carrying cycling clothing for temperatures from -5C to 30C and I had clothing for off the bike, since I was in cities in the evenings. I still had room in the panniers. This was a two-week trip. If I was doing a summertime trip for a week and closer to home, I could switch to smaller panniers with a 20-litre capacity. I wouldn't need the cold weather gear and I might choose to go more casual with the off-bike clothing. If I wanted to do an ultralight weekend blast in familiar territory, I might use a rack trunk and a handlebar bag.

I tend to take what I need for the worst weather conditions I can reasonably expect to encounter. In winter, spring and fall, it means clothing for cold weather and in summer it means clothing for storms. If I was planning on a ride in a built-up urban area, I might choose to go with less, but that's not the case here.

The handlebar bag is pretty much an essential for all touring. That's where I'll keep the camera, my wallet, a notebook, maps or a GPS unit, snacks and possibly a light jacket.
Old 03-01-12, 05:35 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I have the Backpackers and if I had too I could probably get gear for two into them on a CC tour. But as Newpaperguy above mentions it depends on what you are in for.

One issue is shoes. I like to take a pair for off bike use and if two people would take them, it wold eat up a lot of space.
Old 03-01-12, 06:58 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what I've seen of the ortlieb rack pack, it pretty much depends on having panniers on the rack to support it, and it makes it hard to get into those panniers, so it's not ideal for your situation. It's good for adding a lot of storage space to an already-fully-loaded set of panniers.

I'd go with one set of "rear" panniers and one set of "Front" panniers, distribute as needed between the two of you, (if you are equally strong, each take one of each, and if there is a stronger rider, that person can take the bigger bags). Both should have a handlebar bag or something that goes on top of the rear rack for your "purse" that you always take with you when you leave the bike.

You could get away with one set of big bags for the both of you if you want to travel light, but it's nice to have extra space. You could get 2 sets of front/small panniers for the 2 of you, but if you are using Ortlieb, the bags themselves are pretty light, so you may as well get the rear set if you think you will ever go on a camping trip. ANyway... as you can see (IMO), you can do just about anything here, you'll be fine.

I would recommend that you both always have with you on your own bike everything you need to fix a flat tire and your warm/rain riding clothes. Even if you plan to stay together, stuff happens and you don't want to get a flat if your wife is 5 miles ahead of you and she has the flat kit.
Old 03-01-12, 10:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
(to continue the last sentence) ....and/or snacks, water if needed etc etc. Its always nice to have the creature comforts right with you, so if you are hungry "right now", you can get it yourself.
As for Ortlieb panniers, yes they are great (Im on my second pair, first ones that are still useable, are at least 18 yrs old) but there are very good panniers that will not cost as much and would take nothing away from your enjoyment of a trip (especially if its not something you are sure of doing much)
Old 03-02-12, 12:02 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
One barbag and on rear bag each. Carradice saddlebags are ideal but single pannier or racktop bag will do the job. You could use 2 smaller panniers but that is a lot bag for the load.
For credit card touring, I use a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag and a Lone Peak H-100 handlebar bag. I tend to carry more gear, spare parts, and medical supplies than most people...
Old 03-02-12, 05:58 AM
Roustabout

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would the Ortlieb Medium Rack Pack fit between rear panniers lengthwise without compromising getting into the panniers? Most pictures I have seen have it going crossways across the panniers. I thought this might be an option.
Old 03-02-12, 06:28 AM
JacktheFlash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd prefer some Ortliebs but have gotten good service from my Nashbar panniers.
Old 03-02-12, 06:39 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
For credit card touring, I use a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag and a Lone Peak H-100 handlebar bag. I tend to carry more gear, spare parts, and medical supplies than most people...
+1, one of the larger Carradice saddlebags and a handlebar bag is the way to go for credit card touring. Add a bar bag and these guys are setup well for multi-day credit card touring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw
Old 03-02-12, 10:45 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roustabout
Would the Ortlieb Medium Rack Pack fit between rear panniers lengthwise without compromising getting into the panniers? Most pictures I have seen have it going crossways across the panniers. I thought this might be an option.
How much gear are you planning to take on your credit card tour?!?

For a week-long credit card tour I get by with a couple of pairs of cycling clothes, a couple pairs of off-the-bike clothes, one set of cool weather gear, enough spare parts to rebuild anything that might fail, and enough medical supplies to keep a Type 1 diabetic alive for a week. Plus a digital camera, a Kindle, some power cables, toiletries, maps, snacks, and other small stuff. That fits in my 1200 cubic inch saddle bag and 600 cubic inch handlebar bag with room to spare.

Racks and panniers seem like overkill, unless you're trying to carry the equivalent of several suitcases worth of clothing and supplies...
Old 03-02-12, 11:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have used these for 3 years.
Light weight, hold much, each has three sections.
You would only need one set for each bike.
Got a small bar bag at Goodwill, zip tied it on to the bars.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_165648_-1___
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BMX Pie Ride 105 007.jpg (101.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg
BMX Pie Ride 105 008.jpg (99.6 KB, 50 views)

Old 03-02-12, 05:56 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Racks and panniers seem like overkill, unless you're trying to carry the equivalent of several suitcases worth of clothing and supplies...
I've sometimes ridden with bulky but relatively light loads, especially when I'm taking cold weather gear. Some of my jackets do not pack as compact as I'd prefer. Also, everyone has a different idea of what makes a tour comfortable. Some photographers will bring cameras and lenses, even though those items add space and weight. Some riders carry a computer and the required cables, despite the extra weight and bulk. Some insist on off-bike shoes. It's possible to strip down to the most minimal essentials, but this is touring and almost everyone has at least one non-essential for the trip.
Old 03-03-12, 12:18 AM
sstorkel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I've sometimes ridden with bulky but relatively light loads, especially when I'm taking cold weather gear. Some of my jackets do not pack as compact as I'd prefer. Also, everyone has a different idea of what makes a tour comfortable. Some photographers will bring cameras and lenses, even though those items add space and weight. Some riders carry a computer and the required cables, despite the extra weight and bulk. Some insist on off-bike shoes. It's possible to strip down to the most minimal essentials, but this is touring and almost everyone has at least one non-essential for the trip.
My credit card tours include a ton of junk. Take this packing list, add a Kindle, U-lock, lock cable, reflective safety vest, a week's worth of diabetic supplies, Leatherman, half-dozen Clif bars, and a few more things I've likely forgotten. It all fits in my 2000 cubic inch luggage with room to spare. Given that, I'm a bit surprised to see the OP contemplating the purchase of 5,000-10,000 cubic inches of luggage for two people...
Old 03-03-12, 01:47 AM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having panniers with more capacity than you need. For a future tour, the extra room may come in handy. The problem with larger panniers is the temptation to fill them with heavy items. If the panniers are a bit on the big side, then follow the packing list carefully. Otherwise, it's easy to have too much stuff. And if the route includes any hills, that extra weight is going to be miserable.
Old 03-03-12, 06:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use a saddlebagand handlebar bag when CC touring. You only need clothing and that provides room for three changes of clothes plus weather gear. Lugging too much around takes the fun out of it,

Marc
Old 03-04-12, 01:52 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
+1, one of the larger Carradice saddlebags and a handlebar bag is the way to go for credit card touring. Add a bar bag and these guys are setup well for multi-day credit card touring.
+1

Check out the 14L Viscacha from Relevate too.
Old 03-04-12, 01:08 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I began tour planning with a list of all the gear that would be needed; tools and spares, clothes, hygene, first aid supplies etc. Estimate the volume or put it all in a rectangular box. Multiply LxWxH to get volume. Lastly, search web for panniers with at least the calculated volume.
Old 03-04-12, 02:28 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How's this for lightweight touring? The green item is my tent. The black bag has my sleeping bag and spare clothing. The handlebar bag has anything else I might need. This was for a very short trek with camping. It would be possible for me to use just the black bag if I wanted to go for several days on a credit card tour.

The short trip from this picture was during a dry period in summer. Cool-weather clothing and rain gear were not needed.