Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clydes and winter riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 08:11 PM
lurch0038

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Clydes and winter riding?

Do we "Clydes" ride or hibernate in the New England winter?

Wanting to ride but because I am an office sissy the riding is getting tougher to do.

Last edited by lurch0038; 11-13-13 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 08:20 PM
nogods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just returned to riding - a trike rather than a bike. The last few days have been in the low 20's with strong winds resulting in wind chills in the teens early in the morning and late in the evening when I ride. I dress warm and in layers so I can manage my body temperature just like when I hike or snowshoe in the winter. I'm using a Bern multisport helmet with the winter insert and a Seirus ultr-thin balaclava under it, with a pair of clear lens ski goggles.
Old 11-13-13, 11:58 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow . . . Just getting into the 50's for a couple of evenings in Florida is too cold for me at the moment!
Old 11-14-13, 05:32 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be riding as soon as I get rid of this @#%$ cold and stop coughing up a lung every night.
Really though, it's hard to do a lot of riding in a Saskatchewan winter. I get more exercise from other things, such as swimming and cross-country skiing during the cold months. Perhaps next year I'll get a fat bike that can roll over anything.
Old 11-14-13, 05:52 AM
Tel0004

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far I've ridden when its 40. I plan to continue to ride until the 30's, but since this is my first winter, I'll just have to see how much of the cold I can handle. I'll go skiing in the 20's, so I'm sure if I bundle up enough, I'm sure I can handle it.
Old 11-14-13, 06:12 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbosays
Wow . . . Just getting into the 50's for a couple of evenings in Florida is too cold for me at the moment!
50's is still shorts and t-shirt weather

I'm new since the end of summer along with 2 others at work. Oh I talked big a month ago, but I don't have the cash to be handing out for cold weather clothing for biking. I was done a few weeks ago. This weekend it is talking on the forecast about being close to 60, but that is Pittsburgh temps and my temps up here are a good bit lower than Pittsburgh's forecast so maybe I'll get on the bike or maybe I won't. Near 60° weekend weather means I can get stuff done that I can't get done during the week in the dark and cold so I doubt I'll be on the bike.

I'm going to try to maintain the weight and hopefully in the spring when it's time to dust off the bike, I won't have to because I hope to be shining up a nice new bike once I get the tax refund. I just hope I don't need the tax refund to finish up paying for the huge expense of heating oil from over the winter.
Old 11-14-13, 08:06 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
52 degrees and 20 mph winds last night = jacket and long sleeve jersey for me!
Old 11-14-13, 08:18 AM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Close to 60 for the next few days in Mass so hoping to get out of the office for a nice ride.
Old 11-14-13, 08:40 AM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bit the bullet and invested in some cold weather gear; tights, thermal jersey, windbreaker, thermal gloves, toe covers, and a skull cap. Not cheap, but worth it. It has been in the low 40's at 5 am here when I ride and I am comfortable. Looks like the only thing that is going to stop me this winter is the occasional rain storm and the fog.
Old 11-14-13, 12:44 PM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
I start with my shorts and wicking shirt. Add a set of "atgletic" Champion long johns and top off with sweats and hoodie. With gloves I'm good to about 35 degrees. Any colder and I'll need another layer and head/face protection.
Old 11-14-13, 01:36 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by B8888S
I bit the bullet and invested in some cold weather gear; tights, thermal jersey, windbreaker, thermal gloves, toe covers, and a skull cap. Not cheap, but worth it. It has been in the low 40's at 5 am here when I ride and I am comfortable. Looks like the only thing that is going to stop me this winter is the occasional rain storm and the fog.
the good thing is that the cold weather gear gets used and last a long time. I'm in the hunt for a cheap rain proof / wind breaker style jacket for the colder days. And some water proof gloves this yr....tired of clod wet hands on the club rides from spray.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-14-13, 02:56 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
I prefer the cold, I sweat like a pig in the summer. My street clothes are jeans and t-shirt to about 0-5F. Was out cycling the other morning in a good wind and only my hands were bothering me. Was a great day in NH today but got to head back north.
Old 11-14-13, 03:18 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only if there is snow or below 0
Old 11-14-13, 03:29 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I only stop when it's icy. Though I commute a lot less after the time change, because rush hour traffic in the dark is stressful rather than fun. (Especially when I got clipped (uninjured, but shaken) a few weeks ago in the dark on my commute.)

I prefer cold to hot, too, although really cold I find annoying on a bike because of the wind.
Old 11-15-13, 08:39 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride in all temps. I ride when its 95 or 25 out. Been in the mid to high 30's the last few days and still ride. I use cheap dollar store gloves, a dollar store beanie under my helmet, fleece, short sleeved shirt, and sweat pants. I'm comfortable but then again I sweat like crazy so I prefer the colder weather.
Old 11-15-13, 09:21 AM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yup after riding in 100*+ this summer when it dips to the 50's its just painful :-/... back into the 60's today... got to take a test and then i'm out for a ride
Old 11-15-13, 09:42 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I've become a FWR (fair weather rider), if anything more than leggings and a light wind jacket are required I'm passing. I'd rather put on a sleeveless jersey and drive to the spin room. But, if it a gloriously sunny winter day, you might get me on a bike if the roads are pristine.

It's going to be 68F today, I guess I'm OK to ride. But there are leaves on the road...maybe not.
Old 11-15-13, 09:50 AM
kramwinston

Bikes: 07' FUJI CCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoying 60degree days w/ 30+degree nights here in Md. I went out to do 15-20miles yesterday, and w/ the temp gradually droppping toward it getting dark, my muscles were cold . I spinner the better part of the ride,however I pushed it on one busy stretch to try to get away from rush hour traffic and caught a bad cramp in my calf. Take it from me, go easy in the cooler temps, look to just collect miles and turn the crank.
Old 11-15-13, 01:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Outside of my short (less than 2 mile commute), I have become somewhat of a cold weenie unless there is an event I really like. One such example is the Black Bear Century. Last year It was just below freezing when we rolled out of the hotel for the 3 mile ride to the start. Had I been at home I would have stayed at home.

I also don't mind doing a tour where cold temps are possible. During our '09 tour in MT, B.C. and AB, we had a couple of chilly, damp and windy days that we knew were possible. Also had two 40 degree starts during an '11 tour in MT.

Looking forward to this weekend. Supposed to be 58 tomorrow and 60s on Sunday. Tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. I will shove off for an overnight camping trip in NJ. About 50 miles each way. It will be chilly in the mornings, but it will be worth it. I even gave up Eagles-Redskins ticket. Probably the last trip of the year, but you never know.
Old 11-15-13, 02:54 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I haven't got any real cold weather cycling gear. When I've ridden, down to the high 20s or so (though I don't plan on doing much of that), I've just bundled up with normal thermal underwear, light (but baggy, since it's not cycling gear) jacket, etc. I have a skull cap I'll wear under my helmet when it's cool, a Turtle Fur full head ski head cover thing that goes down to the neck for when it's colder. At it's coldest, I wear them both. Probably gonna go with a helmet cover this winter. I think eliminating that airflow through the helmet will really help a lot.

Think about it this way, if anyone can take a winter ride, it should be the clydes, no? We've got the most insulation of anyone.
Old 11-15-13, 04:17 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
52 degrees and 20 mph winds last night = jacket and long sleeve jersey for me!
At that temp with rain I might even go with tights and a skullcap, but the jacket and jersey just end up unzipped halfway as I roast. I am heading from MN to NC for thanksgiving, it's supposed to be mid 50s. We'll see how much of a warm weather wimp my friend has become, he's going riding whether he likes it or not.

You guys who live in places where you can comfortably ride on the first of December where the biggest choice you have is if you need arm warmers or not are totally spoiled!
Old 11-15-13, 04:43 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
You guys who live in places where you can comfortably ride on the first of December where the biggest choice you have is if you need arm warmers or not are totally spoiled!
Don't ride if it's cloudy or windy, so it's just a real hardship some days. Spoiled? Perhaps, but I've hard to get here and stay here. 3 years in Seattle, I was suicidal that last year.
Old 11-15-13, 05:13 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There's really no excuse to not ride in sub-40 degree weather as long as you dress warm for it (t-shirt and shorts weather is long gone, folks!), and yet I still come up with one which lowers my motivation to ride. Today it reached 50 degrees, I did a quick spin to town to return a movie to redbox in plain sweatpants (over bike shorts), fleece sweatshirt (over a wicking t-shirt), and a pair of work gloves from the dollar store. I didn't feel like I needed more. I actually rented a second movie just to force myself to ride tomorrow, I'm already getting tired of the damn trainer!

The problem I'm facing now is the clothes I'm wearing this year are the same ones I wore last year when I was about 60 pounds heavier, so you can imagine just how baggy they are which tend to flop around in the wind. I'm debating if I want to pay more for cold compression "tights", assuming I've hit a plateau in my weight loss (160# since 9/30) or stick with the basic, inexpensive sweatshirts and sweatpants in a smaller size.

Last edited by MikeRides; 11-15-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 05:18 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
probably if you rode all year long you wouldnt be a Clydesdale (-:

I live in Michigan I just got back in from a 20 mile ride on a Schwinn Spitfire 5. I ride 6 days a week
Old 11-15-13, 10:59 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've moved indoors. There's one last blast of warmth this weekend, but 49 and raining is just too crappy.

Instead I'm trying out TrainerRoad. Just did the 20 minute test. Wish I could say I got some huge FTP, but it's not enough that you'll see me in the Spring Classics next year.

I was half way through the 20 minutes I was starting to think I wasn't going to make it. The messages that they flash on the screen do a good job of guilt tripping you into keeping going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.