Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 10:16 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
(The way it's said in the south by us old guys. )

32 miles for me...
went out for a weekday 30-35, unanticipated thunderstorm rolled in, with wind and heavy rain, so I made a dash for home along the main road. Flatted the rear tire - probably hit some unseen gravel on the ratty litter-strewn shoulder. Put in the spare tube at the roadside in the downpour. A young guy in a small SUV pulled over and offered a lift, but like idiot, I responded " appreciate it, but I can't get any wetter and the tire's almost fixed" - bad move. About a 1/4 mile down the road I blow the rear tire again, but this time no spare tube. Faced with rolling home on the flat, and likely chewing up the rim, or ruining an almost new pair of cleats, I make the Call of Shame to my daughter. Made it 27 miles @ 18 mph av. I actually like cycling in the rain, but the thunder and lightning prompted the dash home - next time, stay off the main road, though.

Last edited by 13ollocks; 05-07-24 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-07-24, 11:16 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 1,779 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Dudes, I think it's time to close this thread and start a new one?

I see page numbers going up, but clicking them takes us back to pg. 249, which keeps getting longer and longer.
I just select reply or last and all is good.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-07-24, 01:05 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Got in 64 today with 38 miles of 18 mph headwinds, but made for a quicker return, but man did it get hot and humid for the last 45 mins, the clouds went away and the sun started to bake me and the earth pretty good. I unfortunately did not realize that the road I opted to return back on was being torn up, it was not that way 3 weeks ago, so I did about 8 miles on the sidewalk versus the potential of being nailed by a side mirror. I also believe after today's ride, I have confirmed my thoughts to unload some bikes as I have found that the CheckPoint is just fulfilling my road and gravel needs all too well and I just don't need the others. So I am going see about finding new homes for my Domane and Emonda. Might build up a mountain bike with the proceeds.
Whoa, careful there. I can maybe understand it replacing the Domane, if it's as comfortable, but I doubt it will be as fast or light as the Emonda.
If it were me, I would miss having a light, fast-rolling bike.
I start to think that way after a couple rides on my gravel bike, then I get on my Domane and realize how much easier it is at speeds over 15 mph. On the Domane,cruising at 20 mph with a tailwind is nearly effortless, but keeping at that speed on the gravel bike is not.
I suggest taking a nice road ride three days in a row:
1) on the CheckPoint
2) on the Domane
3) on the Emonda

Same route each time.

You don't want to go overboard selling bikes and realize you made a hole later just because you were in a phase.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-07-24, 01:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 1,779 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Whoa, careful there. I can maybe understand it replacing the Domane, if it's as comfortable, but I doubt it will be as fast or light as the Emonda.
If it were me, I would miss having a light, fast-rolling bike.
I start to think that way after a couple rides on my gravel bike, then I get on my Domane and realize how much easier it is at speeds over 15 mph. On the Domane,cruising at 20 mph with a tailwind is nearly effortless, but keeping at that speed on the gravel bike is not.
I suggest taking a nice road ride three days in a row:
1) on the CheckPoint
2) on the Domane
3) on the Emonda

Same route each time.

You don't want to go overboard selling bikes and realize you made a hole later just because you were in a phase.
LOL... I hear ya, but I do this on occasion. With this economy, who knows if they will sell. So I will just throw them out to see how the sales breeze is blowing, never know.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-07-24, 03:24 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Today I rode 25 miles.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 05-07-24, 10:57 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 210 Posts
25 miles for me as well

https://strava.app.link/CjrFcYahqJb

It was thunderstorming on and off all day today. When I left work, it was just finishing and then the sun came out and it was beautiful for a few hours until dark. I took full advantage of that and snuck in a 25 mile ride on my gravel bike, I’m sure glad it had fenders.

my legs are kind of sore now; I rode yesterday too. I hope I didn’t ruin myself for leading the group ride tomorrow…

The bike was covered with stuck-on limestone slime. I was so glad it is a belt drive bike; I just hosed it off and toweled it off when I got home and it looks as good as new.

You can see the soup further on down the trail.

In the background, you can see the RecPlex, which is a huge indoor exercise facility. It has two full size swimming pools, weight training, running track and others things. There is a path around the lake, but it is usually too crowded with pedestrians to be considered for cycling, plus the pavement is bad. There is a beer garden and swimming beach off to the right, and folks can rent canoes or kayaks on which to cruise around the lake. No motorboats allowed, or even sailboats. (except maybe sailboards)

Last edited by Smaug1; 05-08-24 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added caption to 2nd photo
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-07-24, 11:33 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 367 Posts
21 miles and 1500' of zone 2 indoor fakery today.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-08-24, 04:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,011 Times in 1,935 Posts
37 miles after the storms pushed on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.