Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Boa or not Boa?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Boa or not Boa?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 05:25 AM
Gege-Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boa or not Boa?

Good morning!
I am thinking about new shoes. Should I look at boa?
I have read several reviews, but they have mixed opinions

Is there different brands that are more successul than others to implement boa?
Please help me to decide for or against boa

Thanks
Old 02-14-17, 06:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The Boa closure on Specialized shoes is the best cycling shoe closure I have ever used. Quick, convenient, secure, and durable. Easy on and easy off. Nothing not to like. Beats tied laces and Velcro all to hell. I have no experience with Boa on any other brand shoe.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-14-17, 06:10 AM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks,
Do you have one or two boa?
Should I look for shoes with one boa tie only?
Old 02-14-17, 06:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu
Thanks,
Do you have one or two boa?
Should I look for shoes with one boa tie only?
One Boa...on each shoe. No experience with more. I don't think it matters.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-17, 06:34 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Boa is so great! My new Bontrager Velocis shoes came with one on each shoe. Fantastic system.
Old 02-14-17, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
BOA is NOT for people with high arches.

Velcro and other closure systems can be adjusted so that the first and third closure are tighter and the middle closure across the top of the foot is looser. Not so with BOA. Pressure is uniform across the top of the foot. Either the arch is too tight and the toes and ankle are right or the arch is right and the toes and ankle are too loose.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-17, 07:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Velcro and other closure systems can be adjusted so that the first and third closure are tighter and the middle closure across the top of the foot is looser. Not so with BOA. Pressure is uniform across the top of the foot. Either the arch is too tight and the toes and ankle are right or the arch is right and the toes and ankle are too loose.

-Tim-
Wouldn't this depend on the implementation rather than the technology itself? Ie, if you have high arches, don't look for a shoe with a Boa closure that covers a large portion of the upper? Opt for one with less coverage per Boa, instead?

In any event, I have only had to deal with my feet, and not yours, obviously, but I haven't had a problem; if the pressure isn't showing the kind of uniformity that I need, I tighten partially, flex/arch my foot, which redistributes the slack, and then tighten the final two or three clicks.

As is always the case with shoes, mileage varies.
Old 02-14-17, 07:50 AM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally prefer boas over velcro and/or buckles. I have 2 pairs of boas from Lake, which are great (their winter road boots and the winter mtb boots). I have 1 pair with some Diadoras, which I found to be of lesser quality. For some reason the boas on those shoes tend to get stuck and don't have as crisp action for the engagement and de-engagement. Finally I have them on some Gaerne road shoes, which I've found everything to be of top quality. I have really narrow feet, so most buckle shoes end up going all the way to the smallest notch, so boas work well for my feet.
Old 02-14-17, 07:57 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have mavics with their own version of boa.

i like it far more than buckles (fiddly). but they do get slightly loose over a ride. enough that i could ratchet it 1 click or 2 during the ride. (but i dont, because it doesnt really affect performance).

i like laces and velcros perfectly fine. only problem is when velcros are combined with laces... that the velcros tear up the thin silky laces if they come in contact.

which comes down to my last point, i think its really absurd when simply for the purpose of differentiation and introducing a new product, manufacturers will mix different closures on a single shoe...... utterly superfluous and absurd. oh and how they keep telling you how stiff the sole is even though its connected to that soft fleshy thing that is your foot, and that your legs transmit lots of pressure directly to the ball of the foot - not levered from the heel.

but anyway.
Old 02-14-17, 08:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Double Boa FTW. Especially if you're lazy like I am, and tend to take shortcuts when removing shoes, which eventually results in the heel cup getting shredded. Boas open up in like a second. My shoes have 10,000+ miles on them and the insides look brand new. I do not have high arches, so I cannot speak to that. Feet like a duck-- long, wide, and flat-- so I never managed to find a velcro/buckle shoe that fit comfortably at all. The only choices for me are laces or Boas, and the Boas make life a lot nicer.
Old 02-14-17, 08:53 AM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have BOA closures on my Specialized and Fzik shoes, and compared to the ratchet system that my older Shimano's have, their MUCH better.
Old 02-14-17, 08:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wouldn't this depend on the implementation rather than the technology itself? Ie, if you have high arches, don't look for a shoe with a Boa closure that covers a large portion of the upper? Opt for one with less coverage per Boa, instead?

In any event, I have only had to deal with my feet, and not yours, obviously, but I haven't had a problem; if the pressure isn't showing the kind of uniformity that I need, I tighten partially, flex/arch my foot, which redistributes the slack, and then tighten the final two or three clicks.

Not putting down the technology at all. Far from it. The popularity of BOA speaks for it's effectiveness.

I'm all ears and make it a point to try them on when I happen to see them in the LBS. I'll switch the moment I find one that works with EEE and high arches.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-17, 09:26 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
BOA works really well.
Old 02-14-17, 09:26 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
boa is independent of fit. you can see some shoes have single dial, or multiple dial, and the lacing at different spacing and in different patterns to conform whether to high or low arches.
Old 02-14-17, 11:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Or shoes with two Boas on each shoe.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-14-17, 11:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Or shoes with two Boas on each shoe.
Yes, covered under the "opt for one with less coverage per Boa" comment.
Old 02-14-17, 11:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
I like my shoes that have an adjustable buckle at the ankle, and velcro lower down. It allows me to keep the toes loose and the ankle tight.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-14-17, 11:46 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Agreed -- and my arches aren't THAT high! I find BOA constricting. (Had to say it.) I also find it a lot easier to loosen other closures, if I need to, while at speed.
Old 02-14-17, 11:58 AM
Oracle7775
Five and Dime

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just switched to Fiziks with BOA's from Bontrager RL with ratchets. There is a BOA at the top and a velcro strap over the toe box. The BOA system is so much better in pretty much every way. Much easier to tighten to the right fit, and to adjust on the fly. They also seem to better accommodate thick winter socks, etc., but that may be due to the different shoe itself rather than the BOA closure.

FWIW, I have very high arches.
Old 02-14-17, 12:32 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Double BOA on Lake MTB wide shoes. My EEEE wide foot and thin ankles (relatively speaking) are secure and comfortable. A single BOA would not work for me. Quick and easy on and off. I've never had a loosening issue.
Old 02-14-17, 12:39 PM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With due respect, Boa is mechanical. Mechanics can break. Full disclosure: I had a pair of Mavics with Boa for about a week that turned out to be too small and were returned. Frankly, I thought the Boa was fantastic. Simple, secure. But I can't get past the unknown longevity issue. Returned them for a pair of all velcro Giro's.

Bottom line is this: if the longevity issue does not worry you, then go for it.
Old 02-14-17, 01:18 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I have the s-works with double BOA. I've had to replace the BOA closures twice as they simply wear out over time. The good thing is that when I need to replace I simply go to BOA's webpage, complete a warranty form & receive the new closures in the mail. Super good service.

If I remember correctly I got something like 12k miles before each replacement.
Old 02-14-17, 01:25 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RShantz
I have the s-works with double BOA. I've had to replace the BOA closures twice as they simply wear out over time. The good thing is that when I need to replace I simply go to BOA's webpage, complete a warranty form & receive the new closures in the mail. Super good service.
Mileage may vary, but the last time I walked in to an LBS and tried to buy a new knob/wire, they gave it to me and said that Boa provides them free of charge for the purpose of replacing broken/worn units.
Old 02-14-17, 01:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I've never actually seen a double BOA in the wild and would be interested in trying.
Old 02-14-17, 02:06 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bought a set of S works MTB shoes... 5 or 6 years ago? Two boa's per shoe, and I don't plan on going back. LOVE the system, and have had zero issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.