Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I hit a person today :(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I hit a person today :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 08:19 AM
iforgotmename

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured. I recently bought a magicshine head and tail combo and run it on strobe during the day. I don't see a lot of peds but it grabs the motorists attention. People are used to seeing blinking lights on emergency vehicles the neighborhood school bus...etc. My wife was my tail from a long way off while driving in traffic, she didn't see the cyclist but the blinking caught her eye. A daytime strobe can't hurt in my opinion.
Old 10-10-10, 08:20 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puppypilgrim
"so, dress like a clown. ride like an invisible clown."

So true. I use three blinking red lights at the back my bike. One under the seatpost, one on the rear rack, one Planet Blinky attached to the back of my helmet. The front of my helmet has a 58 LED flashing white light and my handlebar has a flashing multi-LED flashlight-style through insect lens. I wearing an orange visibility vest with 4 inch yellow reflective stripes and an yellow reflective band on my right ankle. I suppose I look stupid but it will be hard to claim they did not see me...
pics?
Old 10-10-10, 08:26 AM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I have TWO Magicshine headlights in strobe mode unless it's a bright sunny day. Do you think it helps? Nope... People still walk in front of me as if I wasn't there. Unless I blow my Airzound there is little reaction to the lights.
That's disappointing. I just put a cheap LED strobe on the front. I won't generally don't have as much ped traffic to deal with as I do car traffic. Oh well. Hopefully every little bit helps. Haven't tried the Airzound yet.

Jerry H
Old 10-10-10, 10:32 PM
cappuccino911
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people don't respect or don't realize the speed bikes travel at. I see people look right at me all the time then look the other way and just walk right into the street. I usually buzz them on purpose. for some reason they can't gauge the speed the bike is moving and seem to t hink they ahve plenty of time to saunter out across the street.
Old 10-11-10, 05:52 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I'd imagine it's even tougher to be seen on a 'bent.

I'm a big fan of the conveniently mounted dingle bell to add a little friendly audio cue to the multimedia extravaganza of the clown suit. Yelling gets old faster for me, and the AirZound has its joys but strikes me as more of a revenge weapon.

Dan, how many miles on the rider mower for 2010, and can you squeeze a third axis into your eco thing?

If the old gal bent your bar you may have broken her hip and just stunned her into not knowing, that would either be a hell of a hit or a hell of a cheap bar / stem. From the above shot, it looks a little out of alignment too far to the right (yaw axis) and can be corrected by twisting the stem back to the left (like another poster mentioned). From the front shot, there's either some weird parallax going on in the shot or the bar has displaced on the roll axis, which is strange, and/or it looks like it yawed to the left. Be sure to check that stem and fork, too. (and shorten up the front brake housing while you're at it)
Old 10-11-10, 06:00 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not sure this would have helped the OP, but I have a bell on my bike and it seems to be great for getting the attention of pedestrians. Unless they are deaf or wearing earbuds.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-11-10, 08:52 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
^^ I have gotten into the habit of often ringing the bell as I approach pedestrians, even if they don't seem to be about to step into the street. I think the most useful situation is if they are walking in the same directions as you with with their back to you - if they decide to cross the street and don't hear a car behind them, they sometimes don't bother to look back until they actually step into the road. Several have thanked me.
Old 10-11-10, 08:56 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune, but glad everyone is relatively OK.

This just goes to show the importance of planning for Murphy - expecting others to do the stupidest thing possible and planning your options accordingly. Expecting her to jump out in front of you might have enabled you to avoid hitting her.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-11-10, 05:29 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally sympathize. I have done the same thing. Hit a pedestrian so hard that her earrings popped off and she suffered a slight cut and possible concussion. She was in the crosswalk when she saw me so I figured I'd go around her (I was going uphill and was mashing those pedals) aiming for a spot behind her figuring she would keep walking. But as soon as she spotted me, she started walking backwards right into my path (she must have thought I was going to head her off) and I was standing on the pedals as I hit her so it was ugly. This was in front of her apartment building so I had to endure her neighbors' accusing stares and comments while waiting for the police, ambulance AND fire trucks to arrive (snarled 5pm traffic in both directions). When the policeman asked to look at my vehicle and realized it was my poor bent-handlebar MB-2, he kind of laughed and told me to go home - didn't even bother to ask my name. I took it real easy for months after that and was extra paranoid at crosswalks. This was in Brookline, MA on Beacon St. where there is always a lot of foot traffic.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 10-12-10, 04:15 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ she was in a crosswalk AND moving reasonably to avoid you? That's not good, and that cop had no business being casually dismissive. The rare upside to not being considered a proper vehicle with full rights and responsibilities on the road. You should have gone to buy a lottery ticket straight away, as it was your lucky day (and not hers).
Old 10-12-10, 06:44 AM
Zaneluke

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairlessbill
I totally sympathize. I have done the same thing. Hit a pedestrian so hard that her earrings popped off and she suffered a slight cut and possible concussion. She was in the crosswalk when she saw me so I figured I'd go around her (I was going uphill and was mashing those pedals) aiming for a spot behind her figuring she would keep walking. But as soon as she spotted me, she started walking backwards right into my path (she must have thought I was going to head her off) and I was standing on the pedals as I hit her so it was ugly. This was in front of her apartment building so I had to endure her neighbors' accusing stares and comments while waiting for the police, ambulance AND fire trucks to arrive (snarled 5pm traffic in both directions). When the policeman asked to look at my vehicle and realized it was my poor bent-handlebar MB-2, he kind of laughed and told me to go home - didn't even bother to ask my name. I took it real easy for months after that and was extra paranoid at crosswalks. This was in Brookline, MA on Beacon St. where there is always a lot of foot traffic.
Lucky.

Crosswalks can be serious in certain cities.
Old 10-13-10, 09:09 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your accident. Bring her a pie or flowers she would like that. Unfortunately, I am seeing a lot of people riding on the sidewalks and they often do not annouce their presence behind pedestrians. It appears that they think their cycling skills are such that if a person suddenly stop, turn, or swing their arms will avoid hitting them. I was hit once by a cyclists as a child (40 Years ago) and I still remember the impact.
Old 10-13-10, 11:41 PM
joewey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll never really know when accident will happen. No matter how you avoid them and how careful you are. I'm glad nothing serious happened to both of you and the old lady.
Old 10-14-10, 12:04 AM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Buy her a bike
Old 10-14-10, 10:22 AM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
^ she was in a crosswalk AND moving reasonably to avoid you? That's not good, and that cop had no business being casually dismissive. The rare upside to not being considered a proper vehicle with full rights and responsibilities on the road. You should have gone to buy a lottery ticket straight away, as it was your lucky day (and not hers).
Yep, totally my fault. I admitted it to the cop, to the lady, to her friends, etc. I volunteered my information to anyone who would take it. Her friends took it down and I never heard from her. So, yes, I considered myself very lucky. Believe me, I ran out of way to apologize by the time the ambulance showed up. Accidents do happen - it's a result of being human.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 10-15-10, 06:35 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ stuff does happen. Good for you (and her) for being so human.
Old 10-15-10, 08:12 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottawa2009
This is a strange story about people not paying attention to whats around them.
I wish I could find the link to the Dallas story from about 7-8 years ago where a woman hit a DART train while it was stopped. She turned at a clearly marked "NO TURNS" rail crossing, drove ~40 yards down the tracks, and hit a stationary 13ft tall, 10ft wide yellow and white train with strobes and amber flashers going in full daylight.

Here's the intersection; note the "NO TURNS," no left and no right turn arrows before and at the crossing, and "DO NOT ENTER" signs on both sides.
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...129.51,,0,3.13

This is what she failed to notice until she hit it:

Fortunately, the only "damage" to the train was some pieces of her car stuck in the coupler, but she hit hard enough to total the car and injure herself.
Old 10-15-10, 06:55 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would be more inclined to think that she made that turn intentionally. Where things went wrong is that train was stopped and not coming at her at 40-50mph like she was counting on. Surviving was not what she had in mind.
Old 10-16-10, 07:20 AM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seven years ago I was riding with a group of buddies early one morning when the lead bike hit a jogger. The impact knocked out the jogger who was also running with his girlfriend. She didn't get hit but started screaming hysterically and we never got her calmed down. We called an ambulance who came and took him to the hospital...

I'm glad you or her didn't get hurt.

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 10-20-10, 05:21 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Is that a "yellow Ledbetter"?
Old 10-20-10, 05:43 PM
cyclingd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rider visibility is important. Most likely she was looking for large objects like cars and not a cyclist.

I was riding in the middle of the road and almost hit a runner when he suddenly decided to change to the other side of the road without looking behind.

I can see more accidents coming with electric vehicles since they're silent. They should have cow bells installed or something that make a car noise.
Old 10-20-10, 09:30 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have hit a person as well. Do I feel bad about it ?? No. Reasons why = I was going on the sidewalk, and the guy was walking looking at the floor instead whats in front of him. Plus wearing sunglasses. I thought he saw me, I have assumed and that was a bad mistake... It was a long time ago.
Old 10-21-10, 12:50 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I had something similar like that hapen to me just yesterday, only instead of a car person crossing the road, it was a car turning into my road (and straight into the bike lane when the driver then corrected herself). Just something I anticipated so I hit the brakes. I wasn't angry at the driver, if she didn't see me then she didn't see me, just uneducated (and most likely, unable to be educated) as to her environment. I'm sure she meant no harm just like you or your pedestrian meant not harm.

Not your fault, don't sweat it. Just learn you gotta hit the brakes sometimes, even though it's the other person at fault.
Old 10-21-10, 05:20 AM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my 3 years of commuting across a college campus, I have hit 4 pedestrians. The first one was a guy who was crossing at a crosswalk, but he had a green light. I yelled and he looked at me just as I was hitting him. We both went down, but neither were injured so we went on our way.

The second one was much worse for the pedestrian, I was hanging a left through an intersection where I had a green arrow and I was at speed. The kid just stepped off the sidewalk as if I wasn't there, again I yelled and he looked, but this time I put my hands out and knocked him over like some kind of an open ice check. He went down real hard, but I stayed vertical. I stopped to see if he was okay, but there was very heavy pedestrian traffic and I think he wanted to look tough so he just shook it off.

The next two encounters, I have been better prepared and have been able to nearly come to a stop before any serious crashes occur
Old 10-21-10, 07:15 AM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was in a left turn lane in my car. The street in front of me has a dedicated right turn lane. Out of the corner of my eye, I see somebody's legs up in the air in this right turn lane. Turns out this young woman driving a small black car just plows right through a ped walking across the turn lane. Didn't even slow down. She does stop 20-30 feet after she goes through the guy, though. Broad daylight about 2pm.

I read in the paper later that the guy was ok. Had some lacerations on his face. I guess it could have been worse. She could have run totally over him with her car. I think the driver was 99% at fault, however, the old axiom for the ped that you should "look both ways..." could also apply here.