Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

For those of us relying on battery-hungry mobile devices for route guidance

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

For those of us relying on battery-hungry mobile devices for route guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 08:31 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
How about a dyno hub? They now have converters that allow you to charge USB devices with dyno hubs.https://peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp
I think going nuts with battery operated devices on tour is needlessly complex and I would just use the AC power grid that's along nearly every paved road, but if the gadets are a necessity the dynohub and charger route is the one I'd use. Solar panels won't charge well on a day that isn't sunny or if your route takes you out of direct sunlight into shaded areas. The dynohub will charge all the time you are riding [day/night/rain/shine] and you can use it on your commuter bike at home to get hassle free lighting.

Best of all it saves you from festooning your bike with solar panels to keep your iPod charged!
Old 06-03-11, 08:45 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
If you are anywhere you can use a cell phone there will be AC power and a 1hr lunch stop will see your iPhone recharged.
Yes, if there are cafeterias along the way, or you stay at a commercial campsite. But around here it's relatively easy to ride through 1-2 touring day's worth of scenery with perfectly good cell coverage but no way to recharge, short of stopping by a stranger's private house. The few cafes / petrol stations / grocery stores in the area may not be conveniently located vs. your route.

On the other hand, most gizmos today are fine for a couple of days, even when frequently used. GPS is by far the biggest battery hog in my set of battery operated touring stuff. I try to make sure most of my gizmos run on either AAA or AA batteries, so I can switch batteries between them if needed.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 06-03-11, 09:37 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Yes, if there are cafeterias along the way, or you stay at a commercial campsite. But around here it's relatively easy to ride through 1-2 touring day's worth of scenery with perfectly good cell coverage but no way to recharge, short of stopping by a stranger's private house. The few cafes / petrol stations / grocery stores in the area may not be conveniently located vs. your route.

On the other hand, most gizmos today are fine for a couple of days, even when frequently used. GPS is by far the biggest battery hog in my set of battery operated touring stuff. I try to make sure most of my gizmos run on either AAA or AA batteries, so I can switch batteries between them if needed.

--J
I've always found that when I'm in areas where navigation is tough and there are lots of roads there is also lots of AC power. OTOH when you are someplace more remote the options for roads dwindles - often to one and I only need to check my GPS once every hour or two for about 10 seconds to confirm I am on route so my GPS lasts days on one set of batteries.

I would also recommend a paper map - both as a back up in case your GPS should fail and as a battery free navigation option.
Old 06-03-11, 12:06 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Very true. Also, I think it's easier to plan a route with paper maps. GPS is more of a backup in my use.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 06-05-11, 05:09 AM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a torch with an "emergency" usb chager on it. I tried it once on my HTC phone. After cranking for about an hour, with the phone's charging light on, there was actually less battery life.
Best option I've seen is a Nokia bottle dynamo phone charger. It costs £30, and you need a phone pin to USB adaptor (or you need to mod it yourself), but it will work for all USB devices. I know bottle dynamos have their drawbacks, but personally, I'd be prepared to put up with them if need be:

https://shop.nokia.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...2_-11_70000597
Old 06-05-11, 07:52 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I still use paper maps for navigation, but I have to have my iPhone for entertainment, photos and blogging. I looked at charging devices and simply settled on taking a backup battery. I chose the hypermac mini (https://www.hypermac.com) as it's light and small and will keep my iPhone going for a week. I recharge it whenever I have the chance.
Old 06-05-11, 12:50 PM
chiroptile

Bikes: Cannondale T 500 CAD2, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 AluCarbon, Bianchi Pista Concept, Kona Kikapu, Crosswave Country (tourer), Bridgestone Kabuki Project, Brompton 6, Specialized XC, Huffy something orother.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.. For those who are interested, I received the iSound battery.. 16000mah.. Weighs 14 ounces on it's own.. Simplygib, I think that's how much your battery weighs as well.. With the wall charger and the USB charging cable, comes out to 1 pound, 4 ounces. Has maybe 10 full charges in it.. Probably a no-go for ultralighters, but if power is a necessity, definitely recommend it.
Old 06-05-11, 06:56 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chiroptile
Well.. For those who are interested, I received the iSound battery.. 16000mah.. Weighs 14 ounces on it's own.. Simplygib, I think that's how much your battery weighs as well.. With the wall charger and the USB charging cable, comes out to 1 pound, 4 ounces. Has maybe 10 full charges in it.. Probably a no-go for ultralighters, but if power is a necessity, definitely recommend it.
How long does it take to fully charge the battery itself?
Old 06-05-11, 07:06 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, I just found this: a SANYO USB AA charger. Seems like a good companion for this iSound battery if you need to charge up some AAs.
Old 06-06-11, 09:15 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds great. Let us know how it works out. I'm about two weeks away from a 6-week tour with mine, so will do the same.
Old 06-08-11, 10:22 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For navigating pavement I've yet to see the need for a GPS, but more and more I am liking the idea of heading out into the national forests on dirt, and I can see the usefulness of the GPS. Buying up a bunch of topo or green trails maps that could be out of date and only cover small areas seems like a hassle.

That's all fine until you hit a river coming down the shore, and have to learn the hard way that the nearest bike-friendly crossing is about 15 miles inland.. Especially when you are headed for a time-sensitive destination. In some cases it's way more time and energy effecient to have everything in the palm of your hand. Not just directions, but also live weather maps, tent-friendly camp grounds, sporting goods stores, motels in your area.. Street views and satellite imagery to actually show you traffic density and shoulder width on a given road to help pick the safest route if you have to adjust along the way.. Not knocking orientation skills, or anything.. Or paper maps.. Just.. I guess there are many facets to cyclotouring..

Dyno hub with the Dahon biologic reecharge looks like the way to go if $$ isn't an option**
Old 06-08-11, 10:03 PM
chiroptile

Bikes: Cannondale T 500 CAD2, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 AluCarbon, Bianchi Pista Concept, Kona Kikapu, Crosswave Country (tourer), Bridgestone Kabuki Project, Brompton 6, Specialized XC, Huffy something orother.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Adam.. it actually came 75% charged, and I haven't been able to fully discharge it yet. I am leaving on our tour tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it goes. Simplygib.. enjoy your upcoming ride!
Old 06-09-11, 04:42 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
For navigating pavement I've yet to see the need for a GPS, but more and more I am liking the idea of heading out into the national forests on dirt, and I can see the usefulness of the GPS. Buying up a bunch of topo or green trails maps that could be out of date and only cover small areas seems like a hassle.
I used to buy topo and trail maps of all the wilderness areas that I was planning to hike/bike in. Still have most of those maps. However I agree that a GPS is probably the best bet now. I still use the maps for planning and make make copies of certain sections. I like the Delorme Earthmate PN series GPS for hiking and biking. We have on of the older ones, but it is great for on route use.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-09-11, 03:59 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Solar or dynohub with a B&M Ewerks. Best bet? wall plug somewhere unless you are on one of the deserted routes. Best place I ever found to plug in? Under a bill board on the side of US301 in SC.

Aaron
Ditto. On my last trip I was able to charge next to Coke machines and ice machines. I've also charged up while enjoying a nice cup of coffee in coffee houses. My trip last year was just over 1,000 mi and my phone never ran out of a charge. I usually carry one of those little socket testers in my tool bag to check for power at city parks.
This year I'm going to take a small solar charger/battery pack to see if it works.

Jerry H.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
How to find juice!.jpg (96.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
Borrowing power for phone.jpg (100.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-09-11, 05:58 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Adam.. it actually came 75% charged, and I haven't been able to fully discharge it yet. I am leaving on our tour tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it goes. Simplygib.. enjoy your upcoming ride!
I ordered one, too nifty to pass I'll find out soon, although it might take a while to discharge it. But definitely post your experiences too.
Old 06-10-11, 08:36 PM
tombilcze

Bikes: 2009 Suly Long Haul Trucker, 2010 Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 2 weeks from my first tour. I toyed a lot with what I wanted for a power supply. I am a tech guy and plan on blogging along the tour. After some research, I opted to purchase 4 - 1900 mah battery backup chargers for my iPhone. They only weigh a few ounces each and are pretty compact. I tested one first and saw that I could get my iPhone charged 2 times with the device. They were dirt cheap on Amazon.com and through several of the Chinese electronics places on eBay. I think I paid about $10 delivered for each. I plan on charging them all up before I depart and then recharging them whenever I get a Chance. Hopefully, restaurants and convenience sites when I stop along the trail. Some nights I will have power to recharge. I am planning on putting my phone in airline mode through the tour and only put it in phone mode when I need to call out. That should preserve the power. It's going to be a let's see if this works thing. I'll be sure to report back.
Old 06-10-11, 08:41 PM
tombilcze

Bikes: 2009 Suly Long Haul Trucker, 2010 Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pics Jerry. It makes me more ware that I need to be resourceful when looking for a power source. Who would have thought a nice break along a power pole or parking lot would yield power.
Old 06-11-11, 07:45 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I got a Hype Dual USB Power Bank at Fry's, last night for $30. It's 5000mAh lithium-polymer. So far, it has charged my iPhone from 20% to 100% twice and all three power bars are still lit (which means 70-100% capacity). I'll repost after I've drained it.

Google only seems to be returning results for the 1200mAh version.
I did find a video, but the one I got is black. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ynDMiyZa3w
Old 06-12-11, 05:26 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I got a Hype Dual USB Power Bank at Fry's, last night for $30. It's 5000mAh lithium-polymer. So far, it has charged my iPhone from 20% to 100% twice and all three power bars are still lit (which means 70-100% capacity). I'll repost after I've drained it.

Google only seems to be returning results for the 1200mAh version.
I did find a video, but the one I got is black. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ynDMiyZa3w
I got three "full" recharges (from 20% to 100%) and one recharge from 20% to 70%.
Old 06-13-11, 08:42 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my iSound today. It came about 1/3 charged so I'm charging it now. It's slightly bigger than I expected, but still manageable. It's not something you'd want to carry in a pocket though.

It has a glossy, iPhone-like finish on both large sides, but not nearly as tough, the plastic is very soft. I managed to scratch mine while unpacking (or it came scratched), don't even know how and when. I expect the glossy finish to be totally ruined under frequent use. The soft bag it comes with offers no protection against sharp items. It's clearly not designed to be rugged or used on the road or on the trail. But if it works I don't care much about the looks.
Old 06-13-11, 08:49 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tombilcze
I am planning on putting my phone in airline mode through the tour and only put it in phone mode when I need to call out.
That's what I've been doing with my iPhone 3GS last year and I always had juice when needed to make a call or connect to the net, even if I wasn't able to charge it with my solar panel because of the weather. Although sometimes not enough to play some games before bedtime, but 3GS had poor battery, I hope iPhone 4 will be much better. I didn't have any portable power sources back then either. I also charged it whenever I had a chance: shops along the way and bathrooms/showers at the state parks mainly.

So this year, in addition to the solar panel, I will carry the iSound too, and that Tekken gadget as backup (it's only like 5oz without batteries).
Old 06-13-11, 02:56 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wrong, it was more like 50% charged up. There are 4 power level LEDs, the 5th one is just power on/of indicator. It took about 6h to charge. I suspect then it'd take around 12h to fully charge from 0%. So it's an overnight affair easily if it runs out completely out of juice.

For the sake of testing I will use it now exclusively to charge my iPhone from now on until it runs out of juice. Let's see...
Old 06-15-11, 06:38 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I work at a Costco and this company is there this week, Goal Zero, and this one looks interesting, https://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/11/No...lar-Panel/3:1/
The drawback is it does not have storage, need to buy a battery pack separately. Price is cheaper in Costco than on their website. If anyone else has any experience with this let me know if it is worth buying. I tried a Solio and after a few trips of it not being of much use, I returned to REI.
Old 06-15-11, 08:05 AM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monoprice flyer from today touched on this subject.

They offer no-frills USB battery packs in 1000 ( $14 ) , 2600 ( $17 ), and 7800 ( $39 ) mAh sizes.

https://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10831#1083110

Seems like a great alternative. The 2600 for the cost sensitive and the 7800 for those epic travels.
Old 06-23-11, 03:35 PM
jigou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been poking around for info about solar chargers, and stumbled onto this:
https://www.browndoggadgets.com/kits/solar-usb-kit/

I don't know that the single solar cell / Altoids box would do what I want....but it sounds like the guy building it knows his components pretty well, and I'm wondering if talking with him and adding a second or maybe even third solar cell in some way would be enough to charge its batteries, and eventually my cell phone, in a somewhat-timely manner. My key is that (in theory, anyway) I'd like to set it up and have it charging while I'm riding.

Murphy says that as soon as I set that monster Powerfilm array up on my bike, I'd somehow trash it....

Jarrod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.