Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bicycle sizing

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bicycle sizing

Old 09-01-11, 04:30 PM
fisch2332

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle sizing

I am interested in a hybrid bike (GT Tachyon 3.0, Fuji Absolute 2.0, Diamondback Insight 3). I would have to get it online, so I would not be able to try it out. I am 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam. Should I go with the 21" frame or 23". thank you
Old 09-01-11, 04:37 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Tachyon lists the standover heights of their bikes under the geometry tab. Deduct an inch from your inseam standing flat-footed (with shoes, assuming that you'll be riding with shoes on), to get close to what your approximate standover height should be. I'd look at the specs pages for the other two bikes as well. This will be a good starting point.
Old 09-01-11, 05:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike if I couldn't make sure it fit me. The problem isn't just stand-over height, it's that the larger frame will put the handlebars further forward, making you reach further, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how long your arms and legs are, and other stuff like that.
Old 09-01-11, 07:39 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The 23" inch bike might be a bit on the small size.

Based on your current knowledge of sizing, it would be advisable to check out some bike shops. They will at least give you an indication of proper sizing. Some of them may give you a quick bike fit.

Personally, I think I'd skip buying a bike on the Internet unless I was very sure of what I wanted. That, and the fact that in the long run, the bike shop will probably be a bit cheaper and provide you with a much more useful product that fits you.
Old 09-01-11, 07:55 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I wouldn't buy a bike if I couldn't make sure it fit me. The problem isn't just stand-over height, it's that the larger frame will put the handlebars further forward, making you reach further, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how long your arms and legs are, and other stuff like that.

X2. Stop in a couple of bike shops and take one or two for a ride. A decent bike shop shouldn't even sell you a bike unless you ride it. That will give you an idea of the size and geometry that fits you. A larger size (even if it has a sloping top tube) will sometimes have a longer top tube as well. You are looking for the geometry that fits you...not just the c-c measurements. Not all bikes with a 54CM C-C will ride the same.
Old 09-01-11, 08:29 PM
fisch2332

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys. I found out there was a near by Performance bike store by my house which has the GT, Fuji, and Scattante, so I will go there and try them out.
Old 09-01-11, 08:49 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They may have a Diamondback with a similar frame so see if you can that ride too.
Old 09-02-11, 12:55 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fisch2332
I am interested in a hybrid bike (GT Tachyon 3.0, Fuji Absolute 2.0, Diamondback Insight 3). I would have to get it online, so I would not be able to try it out. I am 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam. Should I go with the 21" frame or 23". thank you
https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/saddle-height
Old 09-02-11, 02:27 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kojak
The Tachyon lists the standover heights of their bikes under the geometry tab. Deduct an inch from your inseam standing flat-footed (with shoes, assuming that you'll be riding with shoes on), to get close to what your approximate standover height should be.
That method is OK for traditional, old fashioned road frames. The Tachyon has a sloping top tube and is designed to fit with more generous standover clearance.
With sloping tube designs, standover is not the issue, length or reach is the deciding factor. Try both sizes if you can.