Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reasonably priced cycle clothing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reasonably priced cycle clothing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 09:01 AM
hls811

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I just recently noticed that Kohls.com has been selling Canari cycling gear.. prices are on par with everywhere else selling that brand and you can usually find a 30% off coupon (I think BBQ30 is currently active). Its not a huge selection but you should be able to find what you're looking for there.
Old 06-15-15, 09:03 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The trick is to find a combination of a good chamois that you like, good fabric and craftsmanship and the right fit for you. Something that others say is top shelf may not fit your well, or the chamois may not be to your liking. It's a bit of trial and error to find what works for you.

I personally like Voler with the Comp HP chamois. As mentioned, you can find some great deals (bibs - $59), but sizes are sometimes limited on the clearance items. Some of the Hincapie stuff is also very nice and you can often find them in the bike stores to try on.
Old 06-15-15, 09:28 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Voler Premium Cycling Apparel - Handcrafted with great pride in Grover Beach, California

Pactimo Men's | Outlet Sale | Pactimo
Old 06-15-15, 10:29 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
I just recently noticed that Kohls.com has been selling Canari cycling gear.. prices are on par with everywhere else selling that brand and you can usually find a 30% off coupon (I think BBQ30 is currently active). Its not a huge selection but you should be able to find what you're looking for there.
I have a pair of Canari shorts, and they're very much in the "when the others are all in the wash" category. I have 2 pairs of Performance that have lasted several years (though they are both on their last legs now, one pair I've been riding in for 9 years). I recently got a pair of Pearl Izumi Elite bib shorts and they're fantastic; they nearly made my least favourite saddle rideable.

PI have a good selection of jerseys too, some with crazy patterns, and some with understated, single-colour trims.
Old 06-15-15, 11:49 AM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Assos are worth it to you if you think so. OTOH on some sleepless night you might profit from wondering why some folks are just as comfortable over the same number of miles in the Performance stuff as the Assos. Maybe they are just lucky...good genes and all that. Maybe it's in your head, maybe it's in your tush. I certainly don't know which. But if it were me, for the cost difference, I would do my best to find out. Just think of all the wine you could buy with that money. Your friend would be green with envy.
yes, They are worth it if I think so. I don't ponder the fact that you might like the untra shorts or that I might have saved a bit by not wearing Assos when I chose to The Assos bib costs are under the radar for me. I buy and wear them because I like to ride and they make my rides better. Not from advertising or for having an envious logo. I have found that Assos and some other well made bibs are more comfortable than some of the less expensive ones. I don't care what others think about my kit other than I don't stink up the pace line or flash a worn bib cractle zone at the rider behind me
I do solo double century's for fun now and then and the last thing I need is to have a sore butt for XXX miles and little else to think about other than a cheap slow to dry or saggy ill fitting kit. So far I have 5000+ miles on the Assos and they look and fit like new. The other bibs are just fine for the 25 miles a day I commute I have plenty of long rides in the ultras to know that they are just fine and that the Assos are a bit better. Lucky me! I let my buddy buy the $80 bottles of wine. I have a few favorites in the $20 range that I like. No sore butts about it.

And yes I find bibs to be more comfortable than shorts They never ever slid down or shift down when riding and no elastic waistband to dig in over time. Never had any issues with the shoulder straps other than forgetting to slip them on before putting a jersey on once or twice over the years. Washing can take life out of the materials used in cycling clothing. Heat is the primary culprit in the damage to the elastic a woven into the cloth used. Warm washing is fine but high dryer temps degrade the elastic. Regular wash every day's worth of use low temp dry and done. My HE washer spins so much of the water out of the bibs that they dry fast even at low temps.

Your opinion is not other people's fact.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-15-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 12:05 PM
arben

Bikes: 2013 CAAD10 Black Inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a few aerotech shorts that have been more than adequate at a super low price, and I just grabbed two of these jerseys from Performance—they're comfortable, breathe pretty well, and don't have branding everywhere on them. They were $40 in store, but I got 30% back so they were more like $28. Good deal, IMO.
Old 06-15-15, 12:30 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
Washing can take life out of the materials used in cycling clothing. Heat is the primary culprit in the damage to the elastic a woven into the cloth used. Warm washing is fine but high dryer temps degrade the elastic. Regular wash every day's worth of use low temp dry and done. My HE washer spins so much of the water out of the bibs that they dry fast even at low temps.
My washer normally spins so much water out of the bibs that they dry fast on a hangar (over night). I haven't put mine in the dryer, yet.

GH
Old 06-15-15, 12:47 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
yes, They are worth it if I think so. I don't ponder the fact that you might like the untra shorts or that I might have saved a bit by not wearing Assos when I chose to The Assos bib costs are under the radar for me. I buy and wear them because I like to ride and they make my rides better. Not from advertising or for having an envious logo. I have found that Assos and some other well made bibs are more comfortable than some of the less expensive ones. I don't care what others think about my kit other than I don't stink up the pace line or flash a worn bib cractle zone at the rider behind me
I do solo double century's for fun now and then and the last thing I need is to have a sore butt for XXX miles and little else to think about other than a cheap slow to dry or saggy ill fitting kit. So far I have 5000+ miles on the Assos and they look and fit like new. The other bibs are just fine for the 25 miles a day I commute I have plenty of long rides in the ultras to know that they are just fine and that the Assos are a bit better. Lucky me! I let my buddy buy the $80 bottles of wine. I have a few favorites in the $20 range that I like. No sore butts about it.

And yes I find bibs to be more comfortable than shorts They never ever slid down or shift down when riding and no elastic waistband to dig in over time. Never had any issues with the shoulder straps other than forgetting to slip them on before putting a jersey on once or twice over the years. Washing can take life out of the materials used in cycling clothing. Heat is the primary culprit in the damage to the elastic a woven into the cloth used. Warm washing is fine but high dryer temps degrade the elastic. Regular wash every day's worth of use low temp dry and done. My HE washer spins so much of the water out of the bibs that they dry fast even at low temps.

Your opinion is not other people's fact.
Your rant neatly avoided addressing the issues that I posed. Well done!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-15-15, 01:01 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long do I have to return a performance item, and what is considered replaceable? I've got jerseys with pockets that are coming unstitched as well
Old 06-15-15, 01:05 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
How long do I have to return a performance item, and what is considered replaceable? I've got jerseys with pockets that are coming unstitched as well
Theoretically forever. It is a no-questions-asked return policy. Use your ethical compass to decide what is right for you.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-15-15, 01:12 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What rant? I was chilling out while waiting for the air pressure on a fire system to restore. You confuse your own opinions with issues.
Old 06-15-15, 01:21 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
My washer normally spins so much water out of the bibs that they dry fast on a hangar (over night). I haven't put mine in the dryer, yet.

GH
the HE front loaders rock. this is what the Dear Wife does with most of the clothing in the winter. Helps put humidity back in the house. She has strong ideas of How Washing is Done and I stay out of the way except I do most of my dressing in the laundry room. In the summer things don't quite ever get dry in wash DC area.
Old 06-15-15, 06:56 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So.. I can walk into my performance store with my damaged shorts, jerseys anything else they ever sold me and say it's not doing whatever and they replace it? It's a wonder they're still in business.
Old 06-15-15, 08:58 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seemed to me that your point was: if one says something is "worth it," it's worthwhile to find out if it really is, or if that's just something one tells oneself. A good point, and I think he DID address it, by finding out over the course of a few thousand miles that Assos bib shorts were significantly more durable than others. Of course, if someone is fashion conscious and doesn't ride more than a thousand miles a year, that person might discard the stuff before it has a chance to show signs of wear, and that person wouldn't know whether it was "worth it" on account of durability; in fact, durability might be the least of that person's concerns.

In any event, even for oneself one can't say with any precision or reliability whether something personal, like attire, is "worth $50 more" or "worth five times as much" or whatever, because priorities are typically much more abstract, not to mention variable.
Old 06-15-15, 10:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
MEC
Nashbar
Torpedo7
Anaconda
Decathlon
Old 06-15-15, 10:48 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Aerotech. 5 pair shorts,1 knickers,1 tights, jersey, gloves and all made in America with some products using American sourced materials and all at very reasonable prices.
Old 06-16-15, 12:38 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Steep and Cheap is worth watching. The site is owned by Backcountry.com, which also owns CompetitiveCyclist.com.

The post "sets" of all types of discounted outdoor gear for a few days at a time (annoying, but they do get me coming back to check) including cycling clothing and bike parts. Often these include some nice bits at good discounts (50% is not uncommon), although sizes can be limited.

For the next couple of days, they have a set called "Men's Summer Cycling Apparel," that includes some cheap stuff and some fancy stuff (Assos, Giordana) at a range of discounts.

No worries if you miss it, as it will likely be back in a slightly different form in a week or so.
Old 06-17-15, 03:56 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
To follow-up my earlier post below I just got one of these Performance Elite jerseys in the mail. Very nice, much nicer quality than a more expensive Pearl Izumi jersey I returned earlier this year. Simple, classy looking design IMHO from Performance for a change.

These are 15% off of $39.99 today.

Originally Posted by MagicHour
As everyone else said Voler and Performance house brand stuff, their premium lines are nice. Nashbar and Sierra trading post for clearance pricing of higher end brands, Italian stuff etc and rock the coupon codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
11-2081-BBK-ANGLE.JPG (6.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-17-15, 04:55 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
Performance Bike, Nashbar, Wiggle.
I have purchased what I called generic, or plan wrap cycling clothing from both Performance & Bike Nashbar for over twenty years. Both companies stand behind what they sell 100%, with what I called a no questions ask policy. They both understand customer satisfaction is more then two word on paper.

Wiggle is new to me but aftr looking at their web-site for couple of day they appear to have some wonder prices, and item in their inventory I can find no where else.