Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

So I took the lane...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 12:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Talking So I took the lane...

There's a nice busy downhill outside of work, lined with parked cars, so after reading all you guys saying 'take the lane' I took the lane, pedaling as fast as my little legs would go. Vehicles still insisted on passing me, using the turning lane. I'm thinking there's no winning this one.

At least I didn't risk getting doored!
Old 10-27-15, 01:45 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did the right thing. I'd be fine with cars still passing me. I never ride in the "door" zone because going down a hill at speed and getting doored is an extremely bad thing. I generally ride in the right tire track unless there's no room to pass, then I'll ride in the middle of the lane/left tire track.
Old 10-27-15, 07:34 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
There's a nice busy downhill outside of work, lined with parked cars, so after reading all you guys saying 'take the lane' I took the lane, pedaling as fast as my little legs would go. Vehicles still insisted on passing me, using the turning lane. I'm thinking there's no winning this one.

At least I didn't risk getting doored!
If they passed you safely, I'd call that a win. The point is not to keep motorists from passing at all, it's to encourage them to do it safely and to have more space to compensate for the ones that don't.

If it's a busy street, taking the lane will make it easier for drivers getting out of their cars or driving out of the parking space to see you than riding in the door zone. Also, the motorists evidently have space to pass you, so you're clearly not delaying them.

That said, you can see this thread where there are many motorists that believe they have the right to pass bicyclists, regardless of other drivers or traffic lights.
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...encourage.html

In my experience, passing is a reaction to the bicycle. Motorists generally seem fine when I drive my car at the speed limit, but try to pass even when I exceed the speed limit on a bicycle. They get most upset when I ride slowly in city traffic, because the drivers in front of me won't drive more than half the speed limit and get out of my way.

Be happy if they drive safely, and remember your axiom.
Old 10-28-15, 12:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Thanks guys; I usually ride out of door range, which puts me on the side of the lane, but I did feel more visible in the middle. It's still a bit intimidating, but I'm working on it.
Old 10-28-15, 12:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
In my experience, passing is a reaction to the bicycle. Motorists generally seem fine when I drive my car at the speed limit, but try to pass even when I exceed the speed limit on a bicycle.
My thoughts exactly. I have too many times that I am riding past the speed limit and a car will force a pass, 'cause bikes (?). So odd.

Earlier this month I was descending a steep hill, doing 35+ MPH in a 30 MPH zone and I'm taking the lane. As the descent turned to a small climb, I slowed below 30 MPH and move to the right to the narrow bike lane/shoulder, I did this so that all all TWO cars behind me to pass and the guy in the second car shouts "GET OFF THE ROAD" as he passes - really!? At no point did I cause this driver to slow. I waved and blew some kisses, then we hit the next down hill and the car in front of him caused him to ride the breaks (staying at the speed limit). I was right on his bumper, and getting excited to talk with him at the upcoming red light. However, he went to take a right and completely failed to stop before making his turn on red. I was so disappointed to miss the chance to tell him what a loving and intelligent person he is. /rant
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-28-15, 03:22 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
In my experience, passing is a reaction to the bicycle. Motorists generally seem fine when I drive my car at the speed limit, but try to pass even when I exceed the speed limit on a bicycle. They get most upset when I ride slowly in city traffic, because the drivers in front of me won't drive more than half the speed limit and get out of my way.
I've been passed in my town when I'm driving my car and other times on my motorcycle, in the morning. The speed limit is 20 all through downtown and out past the high school to the edge of town, and with pedestrians, horse riders, and stray pets around I definitely stay under 25 mph, but I've been passed 4 or 5 times over the years.
Old 11-03-15, 02:33 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If drivers make the decision to pass me illegally, then that is their problem, not mine. If they have a wreck, or cause me any problems, they will be held responsible for their actions. One thing I like about living and riding in Georgia (US) is that, according to state law, a bicycle is a vehicle, with the same rights and responsibilities as any other. I have every right to use public roads, and minimum speeds are illegal here. You drive as slow as you need to for the prevailing conditions, and what makes you comfortable. There are yellow signs with bicycles on them, and the words, "Share The Road" everywhere. And, if you door a bicyclist, it s your fault, unless the rider was breaking the law, and you can be fined up to $150.00, plus being sued for damages to the bike and rider. On the downside, you can be charged with DUI for riding a bike while intoxicated. It's the same penalty as for an automobile driver...suspension of license, if you have one, and up to 6 months in jail...and our jails are horrible...Dark Ages stuff.
Old 11-10-15, 11:35 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
On the downside, you can be charged with DUI for riding a bike while intoxicated. It's the same penalty as for an automobile driver...suspension of license, if you have one, and up to 6 months in jail...and our jails are horrible...Dark Ages stuff.
As is only right and proper. Rights and responsibilities.
Old 04-08-16, 06:30 AM
dcwldct

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
If drivers make the decision to pass me illegally, then that is their problem, not mine. If they have a wreck, or cause me any problems, they will be held responsible for their actions. One thing I like about living and riding in Georgia (US) is that, according to state law, a bicycle is a vehicle, with the same rights and responsibilities as any other. I have every right to use public roads, and minimum speeds are illegal here. You drive as slow as you need to for the prevailing conditions, and what makes you comfortable. There are yellow signs with bicycles on them, and the words, "Share The Road" everywhere. And, if you door a bicyclist, it s your fault, unless the rider was breaking the law, and you can be fined up to $150.00, plus being sued for damages to the bike and rider. On the downside, you can be charged with DUI for riding a bike while intoxicated. It's the same penalty as for an automobile driver...suspension of license, if you have one, and up to 6 months in jail...and our jails are horrible...Dark Ages stuff.
NC has the same thing as far as bikes being legally vehicles. The DOT here says cyclists SHOULD take the lane when there is inadequate room for motor vehicles to safely pass or when necessary to avoid the "door zone."