Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something you need to understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-07-19, 11:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I try to use the streets just to be courteous to people similar/like the OP. The same mannerism is expected in return. Very rarely I'll ride the bike path or sidewalks. When I am using those areas, I mind my manners..
Old 08-07-19, 02:08 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Disc brakes are here to stay

Cyclists shouldn't wear kit

Cyclists shouldn't go fast

Cyclists don't need that many gears

Everyone should be on a bent

Sometimes winter weather isn't fun

Something dumb about MUPs

If you spend more than $5 on bike stuff you've been duped by the industry

Something dumb about lube

Triples

Did you know that sometimes people aren't very good drivers

Have I missed any?
Sock height. Steel is real/carbon assplodes.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 08-07-19, 04:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
That list is pretty interesting. I like the 3 week ban for "flagrant elbow." Gotta be a good backstory there.
Old 08-07-19, 08:34 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That list is pretty interesting. I like the 3 week ban for "flagrant elbow." Gotta be a good backstory there.
It was a jokey reference to Peter Sagan getting ejected from the Tour that year after getting tangled up with Mark Cavendish in a sprint. They said Sagan intentionally elbowed Cav. Much internet debate ensued.
Old 08-07-19, 09:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Interesting list. Some names I recognize. What does "sock" or "sock of banned member" mean?
Old 08-07-19, 09:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ksryder
It was a jokey reference to Peter Sagan getting ejected from the Tour that year after getting tangled up with Mark Cavendish in a sprint. They said Sagan intentionally elbowed Cav. Much internet debate ensued.
Oops! I missed the user name and didn't get the joke.
Old 08-07-19, 09:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Interesting list. Some names I recognize. What does "sock" or "sock of banned member" mean?
It's short for "sock puppet" . It's posting under a second user name and pretending to someone else.
Old 08-08-19, 05:32 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)
Old 08-08-19, 05:47 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I try to use the streets just to be courteous to people similar/like the OP. The same mannerism is expected in return. Very rarely I'll ride the bike path or sidewalks. When I am using those areas, I mind my manners..
Good advice.

Old 08-12-19, 11:22 AM
LTCPRO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Shouldn’t it be 24x7x52?
YES! YES!! YES!!! I've said this for decades! Finally, a kindred spirit! LOL!!!
Likes For LTCPRO:
Old 08-12-19, 11:27 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Wow. I guess I need to pay more attention when I am out. I've been riding bicycles for over 45 years, mostly as transportation, and still do at age 60. I'm not fast, and never tried to be. Success is getting to your destination in one piece (more or less). Most of the time, you would find me riding in street clothes on an old Huffy, or a low-end Schwinn. I have 9 bicycles, the newest being over 30 years old. I am perfectly happy with the way I ride, and what I ride.

I was not aware there was any controversy. I meet people wearing the lycra billboard clothes on new bikes all the time, and we usually wave at each other, admire each other's bikes, and sometimes even stop for a bite and talk. I've never experienced any 'snobbery', even at organized rides. In fact, everyone I've met has been very helpful. Bicyclists are some of the finest people I have ever met.

I think there is room for everyone. There's a lot of road out there, and if you want to ride like greased lighting, more power to you. As long as no one is forcing you to do something you don't want to, I don't see the problem. Is it possible that maybe it could be the concerned party's attitude? It's been my experience that animosity breeds animosity.

Just my opinion. I don't have a dog in this hunt.
Old 08-12-19, 12:30 PM
grote

Bikes: Valoria the Giro 20, and Edward the Bridgestone mountain bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seconded.

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
I think there is room for everyone. There's a lot of road out there, and if you want to ride like greased lighting, more power to you. As long as no one is forcing you to do something you don't want to, I don't see the problem. Is it possible that maybe it could be the concerned party's attitude? It's been my experience that animosity breeds animosity.
Seconding this. The only flak I've gotten out on the road in 25 years of cycling across 17 states and 5 countries has been from DRIVERS. I wave at cyclists, they wave back. On a tour in weird territory, we often stop and talk about the road conditions, etc.

Do what you want, folks. Don't give a thought to what the internet thinks.
Old 08-12-19, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
Just my opinion. I don't have a dog in this hunt.
I pretty much agree with every word of your post, but can't help but notice how funny this phrase is coming out of your screen name.

Great screen name, by the way.
Old 08-12-19, 12:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,270 Times in 7,223 Posts
Originally Posted by grote
The only flak I've gotten out on the road in 25 years of cycling across 17 states and 5 countries has been from DRIVERS.
You're fortunate. Earlier this year I got yelled at by a salmon because I pulled all the way over to the right on a busy, two-way street. He was mad because I made him pull out to the right to get by, putting him closer to oncoming traffic. Seems I should have been the one increasing my risk in response to his bad (and illegal) action.

Back in June I was touring in Montana. Conditions were not great. Cold, rain and fog. Relatively narrow shoulder. 70 mph speed limit. Some big ups and down. Concern of deer coming out of the woods at any moment. I am all alone, concentrating on the task at hand, trying to stay safe, when some D.B. on a road bike buzzes me, saying nothing until he was right in my ear. Turns out he was part of a relatively small, organized tour. The next couple of people who passed me also gave me no heads up. I finally gave a courtesy lecture to one guy, comparing myself to a semi and him to a Mazda Miyata, noting that he was the one who was going to get the worst of it.

I got plenty of other D.B. cyclist stories I could tell.
Old 08-12-19, 01:55 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm,

Originally Posted by 55murray
Well, I only wave back at folks on real bikes.
I'd say OP was directly speaking about people like you, what an attitude.
Old 08-12-19, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by phillman5
I'd say OP was directly speaking about people like you, what an attitude.
OP has a long history of posting absurd stuff about the alleged horribleness of double-diamond bikes and how everyone who says they're comfortable on an upright bike saddle is lying. When he does stuff like that, he should probably expect some ribbing about the recumbent.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-12-19, 02:46 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Ride any way you want but making an employee be on-call 24x7x365 is immoral. A company which does this is abusive. I would never allow an employeer to treat me unjustly like that.

My my manager once tried this. “We are a 24x7 shop” he said in a big meeting. I replied right to his face, “We are a 24x7 shop but I am not a 24x7 employee.”

-Tim-
Tim,
I agree with others here, if 24x7z52 was in place and known when you signed up, its your problem. If a company switched after that you always have the option to find another employer, or at the very least not participate if its optional. However, many single and/or childless people I know like it, for they are usually quite well compensated for those sort of hours. In the health field (two sons, two daughter-in-laws, are doctors) this is very common.
Old 08-12-19, 02:53 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I pretty much agree with every word of your post, but can't help but notice how funny this phrase is coming out of your screen name.

Great screen name, by the way.
I like to restore old Schwinn bikes. I had to come up with a screen name, and that just seemed logical.....

Right now I only have 3 Schwinns, because every time I restore one, someone talks me into selling it to them. I currently have a 1986 Sidewinder. 1974 Paramount, and a 1962 Varsity. All three are in close to perfect condition and are wonderful mounts for recreational riding and transportation.
Likes For Schwinnhund:
Old 08-12-19, 02:56 PM
grote

Bikes: Valoria the Giro 20, and Edward the Bridgestone mountain bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You're fortunate.
I got plenty of other D.B. cyclist stories I could tell.
That explains why you're here!
Old 08-12-19, 03:19 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Some cyclist need to understand where some of us come from and why the attitude we have. I for instance worked as a service rep on office machines. I was on call 24/7/365. It was always hurry, now, immediately, fast, and it has to be done this way. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the job, but now I am retired.
I think that this post is unintentionally provocative because the "between the lines" message seems to be that the OP thinks competitive cyclists are too dense or immature to realize the diverse nature of all cyclist - and their reasons for cycling.

After fifty years of cycling, and meeting thousands of cyclist along the way - I'm hear to say there are competitive jerks as well as "laid-back" jerks. And something we all need to understand - is that no matter where your interests lie in cycling, respecting others and their current path in cycling is the prejudice we all should practice.
Old 08-12-19, 03:46 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
What's this thread about?
Old 08-12-19, 04:44 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Ride any way you want but making an employee be on-call 24x7x365 is immoral. A company which does this is abusive. I would never allow an employeer to treat me unjustly like that.

My my manager once tried this. “We are a 24x7 shop” he said in a big meeting. I replied right to his face, “We are a 24x7 shop but I am not a 24x7 employee.”

-Tim-
I went self (un)employed back in '91, providing on site service and network support to several small businesses that were trapped between being unable to afford a full time IT guy and support services that started around $95/hr. I'm retired now. For a lot of years I worked insane hours to make sure a bunch of small business owners just like me had the tools they needed to do their job.

Tried hiring help now and then. I guess they all thought my business model was unjust, immoral and abusive. F' 'em.

They had an Ironman Triathlon going on here last Sunday.
https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/eve..._GWqz82eH7qlNY
I was on the other end of the island riding my 3 spd.
Life is good.

Last edited by JoeKahno; 08-12-19 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 05:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
What's this thread about?
Same as his last one and the one before and the one before....
Old 08-12-19, 05:32 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by caloso
Shouldn’t it be 24x7x52?
Excellent pick up!

Mike Ayling
Old 08-12-19, 07:33 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I was out this morning on my old Peugeot, just cruising along and a homeless type pushing a loaded shopping cart, waved and said "Good morning". I was so shocked that I didn't have a wave or reply ready. He probably thinks I'm an elite bike snob for it. Human interaction happens every time we ride our bikes. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around whatever happens on a bike. It's just part of life. If you think about it, give a wave, if you don't, its not the end of the world. I've been riding over 50 years, and never had a problem with guys on Huffys in street clothes, or the racer types on modern carbon. Don't over think it, just enjoy the ride. It's not always about you.
Likes For Slightspeed:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.