Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V brake problem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

V brake problem

Old 09-22-19, 05:43 PM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V brake problem

iam having a problem with these v brakes right here

The Problem happened to me recently while riding.it made a screeching noise i think because the pad on one side of the brakes was rubbing on the rim.but recently i cleaned them like i usually do before the problem happend and it was the front brakes not the back.when i tried adjusting the brakepads on the front side of the bike i made sure they were even and properly toed in(the front pad touches a little before the backside)and the clearance looked not too far or close to the rim but when i brake and release the lever, one brakepad will go back really fast and further than the other while that other one will stick almost to the rim and touch.

i have tried cleaning the brake wires by wiping them down and putting a little chain lube on the inner wire and i also made sure that the brakepad block nuts were correctly in position and had a little grease on them also the rim is in good true and the wheel is properly in the dropout.

a thing i also noticed is when i hold the brake lever down and release it the brakepad will be too close to the rim but when i lightly release the lever again the pad will have more space than before its kinda weird.

Last edited by shine2000; 09-22-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 06:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
First obvious thing is the photo is that of brake pads and not a V brake.

Squeal from brakes is generally the pad/rim interface grabbing and letting go so fast that it is at a squeal frequency. The shape of the contact (is there pad toe in or out?), the condition of the pad and rim's surfaces (wet, dirty, glazed), The flexibility of the system (cables and hangers/stops, caliper pivots and arms, cable casing stuff all are suspects). And the rim/pad materials are all aspects that can add or reduce squeals.

The lack of the pads' releasing from the rim equally on both sides is usually a pivot friction or pivot spring tensions thing. Sometimes the casing can act as a spring action on one side only, pulling or pushing one arm in or out.

So many believe that extremely clean pads and rims won't squeal is quite wrong. The likely great friction can stress a less then ideal system and there will be squeal. I have quieted down brakes many times by rubbing garden soil on the pads to reduce their grabbiness. But the bottom line is whether the brakes consistently and reliably stop the bike. All else is only frustration. Andy
Old 09-22-19, 06:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Disconnect the noodle and check the arms for free movement, correct if needed. Lube the pivots and also the return spring where it engages the notch in the rear of the brake arms. There are usually spring tension adjustment screws on the brake arms; if there are not or they do not work you can bend the springs a little to give more return tension to the weak side. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html
Old 09-22-19, 06:45 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Pad squeal on my hybrid comes & goes.
No point adjusting the squeal out of perfectly fine WORKING brakes just to have the problem return anyway.

It's the HARMONICS.
Old 09-22-19, 07:18 PM
shine2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Disconnect the noodle and check the arms for free movement, correct if needed. Lube the pivots and also the return spring where it engages the notch in the rear of the brake arms. There are usually spring tension adjustment screws on the brake arms; if there are not or they do not work you can bend the springs a little to give more return tension to the weak side. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html
Thats a good idea i have to try
Old 09-22-19, 11:34 PM
shine2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i think i had a easy fix to my problem after all.i used bike grease on the fittings of the frame such a easy fix!
Old 09-23-19, 12:08 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
V-brakes are finicky about the wheel being perfectly centered on the axle. If the wheel is dished a millimeter too far on either side of the center v-brakes don't work very well. Just adding this information for people in the future who experience v-brake issues.