Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 08:56 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

In any event, I think that I'll take the opportunity to retire my Hutchinson's and mount my new Schwalbe Pro 1s - I've been eager to try them out and the roads are relatively clear, now.
Report back on those. I have mine inflated(without sealant) on a backup wheelset. It'll probably be another month before I need to actually use them.
Old 06-07-20, 08:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Mounted up the 28mm Pro1 Addix TLE.

They went on to the rims very easily, though it took a little work to seat the beads with my ****ty air blast canister. Significantly more narrow than the 28mm Hutchinsons - probably 4mm narrower - and actually measure about 26mm wide on my rims (Reynolds Assault SLG, 17mm ID). I guess that makes sense since Schwalbe said that the nominal size would be true-to-size on a 19mm ID rim. Strangely, they're only about 1mm shorter in height than the outgoing Hutchinsons.

Oh, one other thing - DT Swiss rim tape rocks, y'all.

I'd seen great reviews online, so I picked some up. It goes on so, SO much better than Stan's and the like. The DT Swiss stuff has just a little bit of stretch, and when you're pulling it on, it'll conform nicely to the rim, instead of wanting to crinkle and be stubborn like the non-elastic stuff.

Hopefully I'll get in at least a couple hours on the new tires on Wed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-08-20, 04:12 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Oh, one other thing - DT Swiss rim tape rocks, y'all.

I'd seen great reviews online, so I picked some up. It goes on so, SO much better than Stan's and the like. The DT Swiss stuff has just a little bit of stretch, and when you're pulling it on, it'll conform nicely to the rim, instead of wanting to crinkle and be stubborn like the non-elastic stuff.
It's the only TL rim tape I've used, but 21mm DT tape went on without fuss on my P1800's. It seems DT rims generally need two layers of tape for GP5000TL tires or they can be a little leaky. The rear P1800 bubbled a little sealant through the rim joint opposite the valve, so I shot DT support an email, and they promptly responded that some tires with a wider inner diameter can benefit from an additional layer. The wheelset came with only one layer.
Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-08-20, 04:50 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sfrider
It's the only TL rim tape I've used, but 21mm DT tape went on without fuss on my P1800's. It seems DT rims generally need two layers of tape for GP5000TL tires or they can be a little leaky. The rear P1800 bubbled a little sealant through the rim joint opposite the valve, so I shot DT support an email, and they promptly responded that some tires with a wider inner diameter can benefit from an additional layer. The wheelset came with only one layer.
Interesting. Their instructions said single layer for symmetrical rims and two for asymmetrical rims - didn't mention any other scenarios. I'll keep an eye on the pressures, though.
Old 06-15-20, 06:50 AM
WhyFi

Just a quick update on the Pro1 Addix TLEs - they're pretty damn nice. I was concerned that I'd be giving up some comfort vs the larger 28mm Hutch Fusion 5s, but that's not the case, even at 5psi higher. But they're not squishy. Likewise, they've got great grip... but seem to roll really, really well. Time will tell on the durability and longevity, of course, but if those are at least okay, these are stellar tires.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-16-20, 06:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
WhyFi Did you find a decent source for your tires? I’ll be in the market soon.

Old 06-16-20, 07:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I think that I got them from Merlin. They were ~$35 each at the time, IIRC.

Edit: $38 right now - https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...0c-187206.html
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-16-20, 07:36 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr

Merlin always has the best prices on Schwalbe tires. Stock up, and save on shipping.
Old 06-16-20, 09:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Just a quick update on the Pro1 Addix TLEs - they're pretty damn nice. I was concerned that I'd be giving up some comfort vs the larger 28mm Hutch Fusion 5s, but that's not the case, even at 5psi higher. But they're not squishy. Likewise, they've got great grip... but seem to roll really, really well. Time will tell on the durability and longevity, of course, but if those are at least okay, these are stellar tires.
Any opinions or thoughts on sidewall reliability/prone to cuts? I've had to bin 2 near-new Pro Ones after sidewall cuts (road reflectors), and that's got me wary of getting these.
Old 06-16-20, 09:36 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Any opinions or thoughts on sidewall reliability/prone to cuts? I've had to bin 2 near-new Pro Ones after sidewall cuts (road reflectors), and that's got me wary of getting these.
I'm not sure. I just know that the older ones were prone to cuts and wore relatively quickly. These are supposedly better in both regards, but I don't know how, specifically. I've never had a sidewall cut (I'm jinxing myself right thar) so I've never paid particular attention to that aspect, either.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-16-20, 06:31 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Thanks!

Old 06-18-20, 09:46 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I have Reynolds R4 Carbon wheels and GP5000 tubeless wheels. I got about 1200 miles on tubeless when my rear had a sidewall blowout. I got a new tire and even Thor couldn't have enough strength to get that baby on. I tried every trick in the book including...the soap trick, hot water trick, laid them on hot cement...nada. I took it to the bike shop and it took them 4 hours and a lot of swearing. I am not debating whether tubeless is worth it when I know the only chance I have is to fill the hole with a filler. Does anyone have any tubeless tires that are possible to mount?
Old 06-18-20, 10:19 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sojodave
I have Reynolds R4 Carbon wheels and GP5000 tubeless wheels. I got about 1200 miles on tubeless when my rear had a sidewall blowout. I got a new tire and even Thor couldn't have enough strength to get that baby on. I tried every trick in the book including...the soap trick, hot water trick, laid them on hot cement...nada. I took it to the bike shop and it took them 4 hours and a lot of swearing. I am not debating whether tubeless is worth it when I know the only chance I have is to fill the hole with a filler. Does anyone have any tubeless tires that are possible to mount?
IIRC that combination has been mentioned as particularly tough, and I'm sure I've seen many complaints about Mounting tubeless on Reynolds wheels. Maybe WhyFi knows of a good combo.
Old 06-18-20, 10:29 AM
WhyFi

Your R4 probably have the same rim profile as my Assaults. Can't say that I've had difficultly mounting any tires that I've tried. That said:

The Schwalbe Pro 1 Addix TLE that I just got were very easy to mount - they ride really, really nicely, though I haven't had them long enough to comment on durability or wear. Merlin has these at $38 each right now.

The Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm were also very easy to mount. Good, but didn't feel quite as nice as the new Pro 1. Decent wear, though in about 4000 miles, they've taken two 1/4" cuts in the middle of the tread that were too large to close with just sealant - not sure if that's just bad luck or if the casing is to blame. If flint/glass isn't a problem in your area, it's probably a non-issue.

Schwalbe G-One Speed, 30mm - awesome tire if they fit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-18-20, 08:11 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Another vote for Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season. It was easy as pie to mount them on Shimano wheels.
Old 06-18-20, 10:15 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I took it to the bike shop and it took them 4 hours and a lot of swearing.
Surely they didn’t charge you for 4 hours of labor?

If everyone went tubeless today, would shops be able to just eat this kinda labor cost? It’s absolutely absurd that this is a problem in 2020. TL has been around for 2 decades in the cycling industry.
Old 06-19-20, 12:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
A tubeless anecdote - I have really enjoyed the ride on my Spesh RapidAirs, which is one reason i have stuck with tubeless so far. The other day, as i was pumping the tire for a ride, i noticed a sidewall cut and the usual sealant spray. I put a newspaper under the tire, turned the wheel so it was hole-at-6 and then left it overnight. Seems to have sealed up ok - was holding 80psi the next day.

Not bad, i gotta say.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 06-19-20 at 05:16 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-19-20, 09:46 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've been tubeless on the road for the past couple of years. It's just better in every way. In only the past year or so, the main thing I've noticed is that the setup has become much, much easier and much more reliable. A couple of weeks ago, I mounted some new GP5000TLs on my road wheels with my bare hands and a floor pump in about twenty minutes total during lunch. This is on Giant SLR 1 Disc wheels. They've been holding air since then. I had a similar experience recently with both some Maxxis Ardents on my trail bike (Mavic XA Elites) and some Jumbo Jims on my fatbike (the notorious Mulefut 80s). Basically foolproof installs. The industry finally seems to have figured out how to make this easier with better bead profiles and better tolerances, at least with certain setups.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-19-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 06:34 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I took my wheel back to the lbs and they said I needed a new valve and new tape. I had them tape it and on my first ride, my valve was leaking. I had 100 psi when I left and by the time I got home, I had 40 psi. I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the lbs and have them fix it or just scrap tubeless and go back to tubes.
Old 06-21-20, 07:04 PM
WhyFi

I took my wheel back to the lbs and they said I needed a new valve and new tape. I had them tape it and on my first ride, my valve was leaking. I had 100 psi when I left and by the time I got home, I had 40 psi. I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the lbs and have them fix it or just scrap tubeless and go back to tubes.
There are plenty of known-good tires that fit and taping/installing a valve stem is super easy. If you can't be bothered to figure out those two things, yeah, going back to tubes might be a good idea.
Old 06-21-20, 08:16 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
This is like confirmation bias on steroids. As a non-user, and by its very nature, you'll only notice tubeless when it doesn't work for someone else - it's like taking a survey but only accepting the negative results.

I can guarantee you that 90% of the guys that I ride with don't know that I run tubeless and have been for longer than the three years that I've been riding with them. I've never had a flat while with them, but I know that I've taken punctures in their presence. Despite that, if I should take a Goldilocks puncture and go flat the next time I'm out with them, whenever that is, it'll automatically be an indictment against tubeless in their minds, because it'll be their only data point (as the successes went unnoticed).

The other thing with road tubeless, in particular, is that it's still relatively new, not all sealants seem to be appropriate for road pressure and user experience/skillset is... varied, to put it gently. Is a certain rim/tire combination really impossibly tight, or is it just that the person installing them was not yet practiced enough to do all of the little things to ease the process? Does sealant in general not work above a certain pressure or was the person using stuff better suited for MTBs?

This is why I think that it's important to talk about rates of punctures, before and after the move to tubeless, and the specifics of actual user experiences, rather than to lean on observations of failure or, even worse, parrot third-hand "experience" from those online or friends-of-friends.

Revisiting this topic because I am having my first issue with tubeless set up ever...I am mainly a MTBer and have never had an issue with setting up a tubeless combo. I got a new set of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V for my new Domane last week. When I went to set them up with a new set of Continental Terra Speeds (I know...gravel tires...but I ride this bike on multi surfaces...), they would not hold air...I did the soapy water thing and found a few small punctures in the sidewalls of my tires. The thing is, there was 90ml of Stans sealant in the tire...It would not seal these little punctures. The sealant came out of a brand new, sealed bottle. I use Stans on my MTBs and have never had an issue...It's strange. I ordered some Orange Seal Endurance and will try that tomorrow....
Old 06-22-20, 06:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Revisiting this topic because I am having my first issue with tubeless set up ever...I am mainly a MTBer and have never had an issue with setting up a tubeless combo. I got a new set of the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V for my new Domane last week. When I went to set them up with a new set of Continental Terra Speeds (I know...gravel tires...but I ride this bike on multi surfaces...), they would not hold air...I did the soapy water thing and found a few small punctures in the sidewalls of my tires. The thing is, there was 90ml of Stans sealant in the tire...It would not seal these little punctures. The sealant came out of a brand new, sealed bottle. I use Stans on my MTBs and have never had an issue...It's strange. I ordered some Orange Seal Endurance and will try that tomorrow....
The more strange part is that the Terra Speeds are new and but came with a few small punctures?
Old 06-22-20, 07:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sidewalls are just more permeable. I've had some tires weep sealant from the sidewalls for several days before finally sealing, sometimes requiring multiple rides. IME, any tire that requires sealant needs a ride or two to seal completely. This is why folks can mount a tire, set the bike down, and the next morning the tire is flat. Whenever I mount a set of new tires, I ride the bike around the block immediately afterward. Nine times out of ten that's enough. But things like skinwalls tend to leak a lot at first.
Old 06-24-20, 07:50 PM
WhyFi

OooOoooh! I kinda want these - bar end tubeless plug tools from Effetto Mariposa -

They'd be more quick/convenient to access than getting stuff out of the tool roll. If you can store them with a bacon strip loaded that would be really sweet.
Old 06-25-20, 06:06 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

WhyFi I just mounted two Pro1 Addis TLE tires (25c) a few minutes ago. No soap or lube, just mounted them with my heroic grip and hit them 150 PSI. I’ll pull the valves and put sealant in tomorrow. They are currently “resting” at 100 psi.

I used your Merlin link, ordered them Monday night and they came today. Shipping was a little high but the total price was still decent.

Likes For Trsnrtr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.