Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame with integrated sensors, dream of the future?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame with integrated sensors, dream of the future?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 09:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6209 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Standards within the cycling industry is not a thing. There's like 30 different bottom brackets, even more headsets, and probably 250 derailleur hangers. Standardized electronics? Never!
Agreed on the electronics. Imagine If electronics were integrated into the bikes in the 90s. We’d still be using Cateye Solars. Being able to use the computer I want is a plus.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You can acheive what you want with a Wahoo speed/cadence sensor combo. No magnets, just a couple rubber bands, and they will BT to your phone.
I like my Lezyne Mega XL. The battery life is close to 40 hours of use before charging and it comes as a “loaded” kit with all the sensors. I’m not familiar with Wahoo’s GPS but the Lezyne can take routes from your phone and is simple to use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-10-20, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6209 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I call it the nightmare of the future. Cycling philosophy is about simplicity transportation, and the world seems to have forgotten that. I've been riding bikes for over 50 years and NEVER EVER have I wished for sensors to be built into the bike, all that will do is increase the cost of purchasing a bike, and the cost to repair.
Cycling philosophy should be about simplicity...or at least as much simplicity as is reasonably possible. Unfortunately there are forces out there who are trying to make things more complicated so that they can sell more bikes by making the old ones obsolete. I’m not a complete Luddite and have gladly adopted new technology where it really made an improvement. Electronic devices are wonderful but I don’t want to be stuck with someone’s “brilliant” idea in 20 years.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-10-20, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Without sensors you won't know how much fun you're having.
Oh I kinda doubt that.
Old 06-10-20, 10:17 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,805 Posts
Just get a good powermeter. I like my powertap rear wheel, but pedals or cranks or whatever that you use to measure power should be able to send cadence to your cycle computer. If it's got gps, it'll tell you speed (mine uses gps to calculate wheel size and then uses rotational data from my powertap hub to calculate speed). No need for strapped on sensors or magnets or wires or anything. All integrated into your bike. Of course, it's not as cheap as a Garmin magnetless sensor.
Old 06-10-20, 11:09 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
My old but still running truck is a 1995. My dad got it when I was in high school and I bought it from him.

Imagine if it were integrated with the greatest technology. Mini disc player and the option to stop, plug into a phone cable and use AOL to get directions.

Sweet
Old 06-10-20, 12:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
I agree with njkayake...
​​​​​​
It would be far more expensive to design, undoubtedly heavier, less durable, have worse battery life, and be less accurate.

Most current sensors are cheap, less than ten grams, waterproof, can last over a year on one set of batteries, and don't have to worry about rain/mud/dust etc., obstructing the lense or field of view.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
In other words an Advertising and Marketing directors dream... Yet more planned obsolescence and lack of spare parts, with increased profit for them and depreciation for the rider.... Yeah, all is good!!!
Old 06-10-20, 01:04 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Interesting topic. I think we will start seeing more bikes come with crank mounted power meters/cadence sensors built in as the cost of these items starts to come down. SRAM has a version of Force/Red AXS with a built in power meter/cadence sensor. I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature become standard on future Force/Red crank sets, and available on lower tier group sets as well.

The Garmin style hub-based speed sensor is already cheap, unobtrusive, lightweight, wireless and simple to use. I guess it would be cool to have this sensor integrated into every wheel set I own, but it takes about 5 seconds to move it from one set to the other, so definitely not a priority.

I wonder how much longer chest-strap style HR sensors will be needed? My fitbit does a pretty good job with the optical sensor on my wrist but I don't think it can display live info on my Garmin Edge head unit. It would be cool to get other live bio-metric measurements as well like body temp, blood oxygen levels, etc.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-10-20, 04:50 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
The height of my bike sensor architecture was a very small ladies plastic led display watch that I had mounted on my handle bar. Universal mount, only required wrapping the strap around the bar and latching. Let’s say about 1972. It displayed only one piece of data, the current time. I could look at that and think about where I was in case I would need to alter course to get home “on time”. Where on time meant whatever I wanted it to mean. Good times for sure. The strap eventually broke and I took to looking where the sun was. And that’s what I still do.
Old 06-11-20, 10:01 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I wonder how much longer chest-strap style HR sensors will be needed? My fitbit does a pretty good job with the optical sensor on my wrist but I don't think it can display live info on my Garmin Edge head unit. It would be cool to get other live bio-metric measurements as well like body temp, blood oxygen levels, etc.
I am going to forget about heart rate, it would cost almost as much as what I paid for the bicycle. Those straps I've seen are made for runners and the readout goes to a watch on your wrist. It does all things, probably all you list, but it will cost you a bundle (it even measures the up and down movement or acceleration as your knees flex while you run and such like, which is good stat for your medic who looks after your knees or a trainer who looks after your running style efficiency...). It is luxury item that running yuppies out there will have. I am sure some are made for cyclists and read goes to your cyclo computer, but again, it gets rather expensive.

As to built in sensors, key word is 'standard'. Just because it is built in doesn't mean you will be stuck with Garmin computer or whatever. And those computers that take reading from those sensors can change, develop. It is like there is one Bluetooth or Ant+ and you can use what phone you happen to have with those sensors that have it.

BTW those suggestions about getting speed from GPS, I found that not impressive. The displayed speed fluctuates and lags somewhat behind the real situation, to the point it stops being a readout you are interested to look at while riding.

Last edited by vane171; 06-11-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-11-20, 12:07 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by vane171
I am going to forget about heart rate, it would cost almost as much as what I paid for the bicycle. Those straps I've seen are made for runners and the readout goes to a watch on your wrist. It does all things, probably all you list, but it will cost you a bundle (it even measures the up and down movement or acceleration as your knees flex while you run and such like, which is good stat for your medic who looks after your knees or a trainer who looks after your running style efficiency...). It is luxury item that running yuppies out there will have. I am sure some are made for cyclists and read goes to your cyclo computer, but again, it gets rather expensive.

As to built in sensors, key word is 'standard'. Just because it is built in doesn't mean you will be stuck with Garmin computer or whatever. And those computers that take reading from those sensors can change, develop. It is like there is one Bluetooth or Ant+ and you can use what phone you happen to have with those sensors that have it.

BTW those suggestions about getting speed from GPS, I found that not impressive. The displayed speed fluctuates and lags somewhat behind the real situation, to the point it stops being a readout you are interested to look at while riding.
I'm confused by this response, and maybe by the entire premise of this thread.
You can buy a chest strap heart rate monitor for less than $50 that will be compatible with almost any phone or wireless cycle computer that reads this measurement. They don't need to be brand specific and there are loads of display options for bikes that don't require a wrist-watch (you can just use your phone, which it sounds like you're already doing).

If you're unhappy with the accuracy of GPS for speed, you can buy a speed sensor that attaches to your rear wheel for less than $40 that will also pair with various apps that can display your speed on your phone, or pair directly with a cycle computer. Again, they don't need to be brand specific. You can use a Garmin speed sensor with a Wahoo computer, or pair to an app on your phone. Cadence sensors are equally cheap ($40 or so) and universally compatible.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-11-20, 02:50 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
???

$70.

Works with any ANT+ head unit and it supports BT.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/649059

???

The sensors are already standard. Supporting BT is fairly new but it's becoming the standard (it appears).

Garmin's current sensor supports both.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/641230

The problem with built-in sensors is that they make building the frame and the crank more expensive. To replace already standard, already-available sensors that are already cheap. It's not likely the built-in sensors would be cheaper than the current sensors.

The built-in speed sensors require magnets. That is, in that case, the sensors can't change (the new sensors don't use magnets at all).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-11-20, 09:10 PM
vane171

I checked with big shop that deals in the main with bicycle stuff (plus stuff for running and maybe something else, huge sales floor, several big outlets in town), selling all kinds of bikes, including top machines for 15k price bracket, and only strap they show online is for running for $180, or there is Garmin strap for $140 CAD, probably like $100 USD. It provides tons of data besides heart rate, but for those other numerous readouts, you need the watch that goes with it and then the cost climbs to 500, 800 easily. Maybe if you only want to get the heart rate readout from the strat, you can hook it up to a phone app (paid app very likely too), but for that I need to ask in store, it doesn't say online. Still looking at minimum $100 USD for it.

All in all, I looked at two big bike shops in my area, perhaps they are sold out. Anyway, from what I saw, I got the impression that maybe nobody buy that kind of stuff for bicycling, so they don't carry it (otherwise they show even sold out items, so if they don't show it, they don't carry it).

Also checked on Amazon.ca and didn't see a damn thing, maybe on '.com' US they might have something, usually I don't go there because most items can't ship to Canada plus exchange rate usually makes it more expensive. Anyway Amazon is for some reason more expensive on most bicycle items than my local shops. Would have expected that to be otherwise.
Old 06-11-20, 09:20 PM
njkayaker

i checked with big shop that deals in the main with bicycle stuff (plus stuff for running and maybe something else, huge sales floor, several big outlets in town), selling all kinds of bikes, including top machines for 15k price bracket, and only strap they show online is for running for $180, or there is garmin strap for $140 cad, probably like $100 usd. It provides tons of data besides heart rate, but for those other numerous readouts, you need the watch that goes with it and then the cost climbs to 500, 800 easily. Maybe if you only want to get the heart rate readout from the strat, you can hook it up to a phone app (paid app very likely too), but for that i need to ask in store, it doesn't say online. Still looking at minimum $100 usd for it.

All in all, i looked at two big bike shops in my area, perhaps they are sold out. Anyway, from what i saw, i got the impression that maybe nobody buy that kind of stuff for bicycling, so they don't carry it (otherwise they show even sold out items, so if they don't show it, they don't carry it).

Also checked on amazon.ca and didn't see a damn thing, maybe on '.com' us they might have something, usually i don't go there because most items can't ship to canada plus exchange rate usually makes it more expensive. Anyway amazon is for some reason more expensive on most bicycle items than my local shops. Would have expected that to be otherwise.
​​​​​???

?
?
?
Old 06-11-20, 09:22 PM
vane171

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The problem with built-in sensors is that they make building the frame and the crank more expensive. To replace already standard, already-available sensors that are already cheap. It's not likely the built-in sensors would be cheaper than the current sensors.

The built-in speed sensors require magnets. That is, in that case, the sensors can't change (the new sensors don't use magnets at all).
Thanks, will look at the tips, link you provided. Pretty well wrote that idea off last night after looking what at my three sources online.

I was just wondering, if there are such neat sensors, that are fairly cheap and small, even attach to your shoe, why do I see many quite sizable gizmos that require straps like plastic ties to attach around your bike and that look like sore? Maybe just people buy them because they don't know about the good ones, unobtrusive and cheaper ones?

Also, it should be clear to anybody that I am new to this stuff, last night was first time in my life I ever went to look up those straps and didn't look for too long at that.
Old 06-11-20, 09:26 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
What is this thread about again? My Garmin HRM-Dual strap cost me about $55. I'm not sure how it would be integrated into a bike frame.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-11-20, 09:31 PM
njkayaker

Thanks, will look at the tips, link you provided. Pretty well wrote that idea off last night after looking what at my three sources online.

I was just wondering, if there are such neat sensors, that are fairly cheap and small, even attach to your shoe, why do I see many quite sizable gizmos that require straps like plastic ties to attach around your bike and that look like sore? Maybe just people buy them because they don't know about the good ones, unobtrusive and cheaper ones?

Also, it should be clear to anybody that I am new to this stuff, last night was firdst time in my life I ever went to look up those straps and didn't look for too long at that.
It's really clear that you are new to this stuff.

What's odd is you talking like you know about the stuff you aren't clear about.

The sensors that attach to the frame are about 3 years old.

If you are looking at particular things, you should provide links to them. That way, people don't have to guess whatever it is you might be talking about.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-11-20 at 09:35 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-11-20, 09:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18365 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
A couple of years ago there was the SpeedX Leopard, on Kickstarter, highly integrated. Apparently a moderate success, although it may have had issues with Strava integration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...aero-road-bike

Then it was followed by the SpeedX Unicorn... What a name for a bike that never materialized.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...built-in-power

Interesting history, and a rather surprising reason why they went from boom to bust here.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/what...ned-to-speedx/
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-11-20, 10:27 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Interesting topic. I think we will start seeing more bikes come with crank mounted power meters/cadence sensors built in as the cost of these items starts to come down. SRAM has a version of Force/Red AXS with a built in power meter/cadence sensor. I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature become standard on future Force/Red crank sets, and available on lower tier group sets as well.

The Garmin style hub-based speed sensor is already cheap, unobtrusive, lightweight, wireless and simple to use. I guess it would be cool to have this sensor integrated into every wheel set I own, but it takes about 5 seconds to move it from one set to the other, so definitely not a priority.

This thought was floating about five years ago, but haven't really seen it...
Old 06-11-20, 10:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18365 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I think Cannondale shipped a few bikes with a free power meter crank (which one had to pay several hundred bucks to activate).

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...wermeters.html

I don't know if that is still happening. I see notes on the NG power2max, but not being supplied as a default on some Cannondale models. Interchangeable Spiders?
Old 06-12-20, 06:26 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,805 Posts
Anyway, from what I saw, I got the impression that maybe nobody buy that kind of stuff for bicycling, so they don't carry it (otherwise they show even sold out items, so if they don't show it, they don't carry it).
???Don't know if you're not asking for the right thing or your shops are garbage or what. Around here no one respects a Strava KOM or Zwift result unless there's a heartrate data attached to it (and even then who really cares about someone else's Strava or Zwift results?). Lots of serious cyclists have heartrate straps. It's pretty common gear.
Old 06-12-20, 10:17 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think Cannondale shipped a few bikes with a free power meter crank (which one had to pay several hundred bucks to activate).

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...wermeters.html

I don't know if that is still happening. I see notes on the NG power2max, but not being supplied as a default on some Cannondale models. Interchangeable Spiders?
Cannondale has several bikes listed on their US website that come with power meters. Their top end road bikes (SystemSix and Supersix Evo) have Dura Ace Di2 with built-in power meters. I know you can get SRAM Force and Red AXS with built-in power meters too.

Interestingly (and relevant to this thread), Cannondale sells a few bikes that come with a built-in wheel sensor that attaches to the front wheel hub that records speed, time and distance. The sensor syncs to an app they've developed. My understanding is that the sensor is also compatible with Garmin, so probably connects via Ant+ or BT and could work with other devices too. It appears on several different varieties of C'dale bikes.

I've not heard about this pre-installed power meter that needs to be activated. Interesting idea, similar to how Tesla equips cars with hardware for certain features that can later be unlocked for a fee.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-12-20, 03:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
a SIM card inserted somewhere in the frame & a monthly subscription/fee could become a thing....
Old 06-12-20, 04:20 PM
vane171

Originally Posted by himespau
Lots of serious cyclists have heartrate straps. It's pretty common gear.
That;s encouraging, thanks.
Serious cyclists are a minority though, you get much many more ordinary people riding on all kinds of levels. Problem might be that I am looking at shops in a big city, Toronto. I doubt many serious cyclists live and train here, and the shops adapt to that.

Even I don't cycle here, at least not in any serious, sporting sense. Even if you put your bike in a car and drive behind town, there are no appealing roads for riding a bike in the area unless you drive far out, and even then. Best cycling around here is in ravines on cycle paths, but there you can't do serious biking. Normally I live in EU for late spring, summer and early fall, and I do all my cycling over there.

You know where people from Toronto go downhill skiing if they go out for a day? There is a hole in the flat country somewhere near by, and they ski down into that. LOL That tells you everything. Although I am sure somebody from around here if they are on the forum, will prove me wrong, always there is somebody who finds everything just OK.
Old 06-12-20, 05:12 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Oddly enough, downhill skiing is extremely popular in the US Midwest as well. Sure, I've been skiing in Colorado, and there's nothing like that in Wisconsin. But people love to ski. The local and regional slopes are a completely different vibe. It's something you can do on a whim, just go to the hill after work, or in between other activities on weekends. You meet your friends there, and begin to recognize the regulars. There are extensive weekend programs for teaching kids to ski. We don't use fancy equipment, because it gets trashed.

About technology, I work in the tech industry, notably I design chemical analysis equipment. Obsolescence is a huge issue. Naturally, capabilities and efficiency improve with each generation. But a bigger problem is that the interfaces are not documented or maintained. It's costly to support an old interface for the sake of a few customers. You might have a perfectly functioning sensor on your bike, but the manufacturer of the computer has no idea or interest in figuring out how to communicate with it. And manufacturers make it hard, with proprietary interfaces intended to lock you into a particular brand, and so you have to upgrade on their timetable and not yours.

A potential solution to this problem is the adoption of open standards, but the industry is unlikely to go along with this. For instance, I can still read the data from a Palm Pilot, not because Palm Computing still exists, but because hackers figured out the interface and created free support software.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-12-20, 06:43 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
It's costly to support an old interface for the sake of a few customers. You might have a perfectly functioning sensor on your bike, but the manufacturer of the computer has no idea or interest in figuring out how to communicate with it. And manufacturers make it hard, with proprietary interfaces intended to lock you into a particular brand, and so you have to upgrade on their timetable and not yours.
???

There's a lot of talk from people that have no idea what the situation with sensors for bicycles is.

============================

There's an old (and still current) standard for sensors called ANT+. Bluetooth is another standard that's becoming more common. It seems any new "higher end" sensors support both ANT+ and BT.

The proprietary wireless sensors tend to be for cheaper systems. But if you want a standard, you'd choose ANT+ (and/or BT). You'll pay more for it.

Most of the head units that use these sensors are somewhat expensive and don't have long battery life.

There are a few head units that are basic and that have long battery life. They are expensive as far as basic head units go.
Likes For njkayaker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.