Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Revenge of the Cycling Gods

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-20, 06:37 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

Juneteeenth was my 74th birthday and on every birthday I do my 6 mi. TT. Actually, I do it a couple times a month generally but always make sure to do it around my birthday just to see where I'm at. My best ride in this TT is 19.1 mph. So, today I went out at 6 AM to beat the heat. The route is 3 mi. out to an intersection/turnaround at our Town Hall. There's an .8 mi. Strava segment that is flat and ends at the Town Hall turnaround. My PB on that segment is 24.6 mph. Today I was feeling really good and felt like I had smoked that segment. Hoping I had cracked 25 mph. Got down to the turnaround only to be stuck there for about 4-5 minutes thanks to a dozen cars at the 4-way stop. I had forgotten that all the workers go through there to a local and HUGE farm. So, I sat. And, I sat. Finally got started back and rode well back to home. Uploaded my dated to Garmin Connect which sent to to Strava. I had done my TT at 17.7 mph but that was with at least 2 minutes being tacked on to the segment by Garmin. So, that run at 25 mph became 12.2 mph on the data sheet. It clocked me at 4:08. My best is 2:03 and I know I was, at least, close to that. So, I subtracted 2 minutes from the ride and am guessing I did my TT at well over 19 mph. But, no data....no PB. Curse you cycling Gods!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3652914391

Last edited by bruce19; 06-22-20 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 07:04 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Try again next week. Even if it's not your birthday you can still go have a great ride, or at least a chance at one.

Oh and
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-22-20, 11:25 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
One of the trails by me opened up for the first time since quarantine, and I completed a segment the other day, putting out perhaps 25% more power than my previous best effort. Strava reported it to be my slowest attempt to date. I had struck up some conversation with another rider at the turnaround point, so I wasn't upset about it--just kind of confused. Turns out that the computer hadn't autopaused and was just silently recording 10 minutes of me yammering and not going anywhere. Oh well
Old 06-22-20, 11:29 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Got down to the turnaround only to be stuck there for about 4-5 minutes thanks to a dozen cars at the 4-way stop.
You couldn't go around the cars?
Old 06-22-20, 01:54 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You couldn't go around the cars?
No. It's a 4-way stop with a blinking light and there were quite a few cars from all 4 directions. I'm trying to spin around in the intersection and cars can't anticipate what I'm doing. It's out of the norm. I thought by stopping my Garmin would go on "pause" but it didn't seem to do that according to stats.
Old 06-22-20, 02:35 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Garmin Edges don't seem to pause by default, I had to enable it for my profiles. Also, Strava apparently goes by elapsed time for segments, so if you stop and take a break the clock is running as far as they're concerned.
Old 06-22-20, 06:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sometimes I run both my bike computer and phone with Wahoo Fitness to compare data. The differences in auto-pause/resume, along with how Strava interprets data, will influence the overall average speed, although segment times/speeds tend to be consistent.

Occasionally one computer/app will say I've averaged around 15 mph while another says 17 mph. Usually it's less than 1/2 mph difference.

If you permit Google Maps Timeline to run by default on a smartphone, it automagically records all activities (private by default -- it's just between you, Google, the NSA... China.... Russia... some kids in Macedonia...). It's pretty good at detecting the differences between bicycling, walking, etc. And often more accurate than other GPS tracking.

So if all else fails, check your phone for Google Maps Timeline to restore a bike ride if it's important for a ride or to check the time/speed on a segment or overall route.
Likes For canklecat: