Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are limit screws JIS instead of Philips?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-27-16, 09:04 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a theory. I've often noticed that derailleurs limit screws don't quite... work with Phillips screwdrivers. I've tried #1s and #2s, but they never seem to work right in those limit screws.

So, my theory is that those screws are the JIS heads and not Phillips. Am I right? I mean, Shimano is a Japanese company...
Old 08-27-16, 09:24 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Correct. I've been meaning to get JIS #2 for them.
Old 08-27-16, 09:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Actually most of the "Philips" screws you see in the USA haven't been Philips for years. The last stronghold for Philips was in the electronics trades and other applications calling for nice cosmetics.

Otherwise, most of those screws today are a variant of "Pozidriv". The key difference is that Philips drivers come to a point, and the more modern variations don't. Forming screws with the full depth to accommodate the pointy drivers is more difficult, so they don't bother.

There's an easy fix if you have a bunch of Philips screwdrivers that aren't working for you. Just grind the point back so the driver can settle deeper until it's supported on the blades. This isn't a technically correct conversion to Pozidrive or JIS, but it'll do the job.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-27-16, 09:52 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
So, my theory is that those screws are the JIS heads and not Phillips. Am I right?
Yes, it does seem so, IME. If you try a JIS screwdriver, you will be impressed with how much better it fits with the limit screws on Shimano derailleurs.
Old 08-27-16, 10:28 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Shimano derailleurs are JIS-2. I expect that other brands are not.
Old 08-27-16, 10:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Shimano derailleurs are JIS-2. I expect that other brands are not.

Because you can't eat "JIS-1".

Sorry... bad pun.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-27-16, 10:35 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
A lot of limit screws will work with a bladed screwdriver as well, which gives you a better grip on the screw in my experience.

Old 08-27-16, 10:42 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
A lot of limit screws will work with a bladed screwdriver as well, which gives you a better grip on the screw in my experience.

Ugh. I feel just wrong looking at that picture. I can hear the words in my head "Using the wrong tool for the job will just end up making more work for yourself." Then again, I guess the phillips screwdrivers are also the wrong tool so...

I generally abhor flat bladed screwdrivers. I get annoyed when I have to deal with a flat headed screw, especially if it's one that I have to turn a lot. They're remnants of the past, and should only be used when absolutely necessary. But if you say they work better than Phillips, I may have to try it haha.
Old 08-27-16, 10:47 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Actually most of the "Philips" screws you see in the USA haven't been Philips for years. The last stronghold for Philips was in the electronics trades and other applications calling for nice cosmetics.

Otherwise, most of those screws today are a variant of "Pozidriv". The key difference is that Philips drivers come to a point, and the more modern variations don't. Forming screws with the full depth to accommodate the pointy drivers is more difficult, so they don't bother.

There's an easy fix if you have a bunch of Philips screwdrivers that aren't working for you. Just grind the point back so the driver can settle deeper until it's supported on the blades. This isn't a technically correct conversion to Pozidrive or JIS, but it'll do the job.

Interesting. I've noticed that most of my #1 Phillips are sharp, where most of my #2s are blunt.
Old 08-27-16, 10:48 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Ugh. I feel just wrong looking at that picture. I can hear the words in my head "Using the wrong tool for the job will just end up making more work for yourself." Then again, I guess the phillips screwdrivers are also the wrong tool so...

I generally abhor flat bladed screwdrivers. I get annoyed when I have to deal with a flat headed screw, especially if it's one that I have to turn a lot. They're remnants of the past, and should only be used when absolutely necessary. But if you say they work better than Phillips, I may have to try it haha.
Screws like the one in the picture are clearly made to use with either Phillips or bladed screwdrivers. I've never had a problem with a bladed screwdriver slipping or damaging the screw head. I've always found a Phillips to not fit right and honestly didn't know about the JIS standard for this. Learn something new every day here!
Old 08-28-16, 11:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Because you can't eat "JIS-1".

Sorry... bad pun.
Ha!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-28-16, 11:56 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Philips (and variants) should not be used for screws that adjust something, because you have to push on the screw to make the adjustment. Much better to use an allen head. I understand not wanting to force everybody to adopt a new tool, but those tiny philips heads on derailers and vee-brakes are a weird throwback, when every other screw on the bike has been modernized.
Old 08-28-16, 03:59 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Correct. I've been meaning to get JIS #2 for them.

Thanks....
Old 08-28-16, 04:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Interesting aside, many of those Phillips screw heads can also be turned using a Canadian invented Robertson screwdriver
Old 08-28-16, 04:09 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Interesting aside, many of those Phillips screw heads can also be turned using a Canadian invented Robertson screwdriver

Whut? Robertson is square drive.
Old 08-28-16, 04:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
Whut? Robertson is square drive.
90 degrees is 90 degrees. Pozidrive combines Phillips and Robertson. In Canada many consumer products allow you to use both and Robertson is mostly the default choice
Old 08-28-16, 04:44 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
Don'r forget Frearson aka Reed and Prince.
Old 08-28-16, 05:47 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Screws like the one in the picture are clearly made to use with either Phillips or bladed screwdrivers. I've never had a problem with a bladed screwdriver slipping or damaging the screw head. I've always found a Phillips to not fit right and honestly didn't know about the JIS standard for this. Learn something new every day here!

The dot in 1 quadrant is an indicator that it is a JIS screw and not a Phillips screw.
Old 08-28-16, 10:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Shimano used to put their logo on these Jis #2 screwdrivers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-29-16, 06:16 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This worked great - was working on a bike last night and grabbed a Philips screwdriver for an adjustment and of course it didn't fit. Remembered this comment and had a file sitting in my tool bag. Few strokes and removed the sharp point off the screwdriver and it fit perfectly.
Old 08-29-16, 08:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your Theory is Goofy. Its a Metric screw.

Spend Up on a Quality screwdriver , whose tips dont round off and so make a weak connection..

https://www.phillips-screw.com/pozidriv.php

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-29-16 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 08:13 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts

Well, a flat blade screwdriver is technically the wrong tool but limit screws require very little torque so the "wrong tool" does work and doesn't damage them. No harm, no foul.

Most hardware store flat screwdrivers are ground with a taper and tend to cam-out of the screw slot. Gunsmith screwdrivers are hollow ground and the tips are parallel. They stay put in the screw slot and are far less likely to damage the screw head.
Old 08-29-16, 12:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Your Theory is Goofy. Its a Metric screw.
./.

Whether a screw is metric or not has nothing to do with JIS. It has to do wit the shape of the screwdriver tip. The best phillips head screwdriver in the world will likely strip or "Cam out" the head of a JIS screw. Here is why...

Vessel makes outstanding JIS screwdrivers...

700/KIT-P123 | Screwdriver Sets | Screwdrivers | Hand Tools | VESSEL TOOLS

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-29-16 at 12:44 PM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-29-16, 12:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezalel
The dot in 1 quadrant is an indicator that it is a JIS screw and not a Phillips screw.
I had forgotten about this. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-29-16, 12:56 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
It's surprising that, AFAIK, Park doesn't make JIS screwdrivers. I've used a JIS screwdriver on Shimano limit screws, and it is clearly an "A" fit on Shimano limit screws, compared to the "B" fit with Phillips screwdrivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.