Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-24-20, 06:44 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Woof. Is liquor delivery a thing in CO and will that still be available? MN has been very restrictive w/r/t alcohol sales and I don't have a handle on what the norm is.
Our alcohol has been kept flowing here in California.

For example, wine tasting rooms are closed but bottle sales are ok for winemakers.

And restaurants selling takeout food/meals are allowed to sell alcohol to go (in normal times, they could only sell alcohol for in-restaurant consumption).

I got an email from one of our local SoCal small restaurant chains last night. They’re selling a pantry kit for $40 now:

3 pounds chicken breasts
1 gallon whole milk
15 eggs
1 loaf bread
1 pound butter
2 pounds rice
2 pounds red potatoes
2 pounds carrots
2 pounds onions
3 rolls toilet paper
Old 03-24-20, 06:49 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

The dogs are detrimental to my bike fitness because they are such pleasant sleepers that lying abed in the morning is a very enjoyable activity.
Old 03-24-20, 06:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
That's pretty neat. I plugged in my home address and it spat out a 30 mile route that I think I have actually done

I looked at a few other suggestions and it routes me on to roads that I don't personally feel comfortable riding on, but I have seen other cyclists on before.

So, as always with algorithms, YMMV.
Kind of obnoxious that it's mobile-only, though. I don't use my phone for turn-by-turn navigation, most of the time if I'm riding a new route I will put a cue sheet together, either by hand or if it's a longer ride I will use the cuesheet feature on ridewithGPS.
Old 03-24-20, 06:51 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
The dogs are detrimental to my bike fitness because they are such pleasant sleepers that lying abed in the morning is a very enjoyable activity.
Our sweet calico kitty was right by my side from at least 3:30 this morning until I had to get up at 5:30

She is a very reliable cuddler.
Old 03-24-20, 07:06 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

For MoAlpha ’s amusement.

Yesterday I worked up a two year old dog for the presenting complaint of acute prechiasmic blindness after a month of stertor. Mass in the sphenoid sinus, extending through the skull into the olfactory lobes, compressing the optic nerves on the way. Weird thing, the radiologist thinks it will be a primitive neuroectodermal tumor. But we obtained biopsies rhinoscopically. Fungal and protozoal titers pending. Porotozoal is admittedly a long shot but I’m wanting to find something reasonably treatable in this dog.

I also saw a prechiasmic blindness in an 8yr old Lhasa Apso with a normal ERG from the ophthalmologist. Suspect optic neuritis, but sometimes a tumor like a meningioma in just the right place will cause these same symptoms. Owner is trying to gather funds for diagnostics, she’s currently out of work.

And then a 10 year old rat terrier with a 3 week history of dramatic cough and right hemiparesis. Supposedly screaming neck pain at home and his cervical posture looked painful to me, but I couldn’t elicit pain when I manipulated his neck. Supposedly trouble swallowing at home but his gag reflex was normal on my exam, and I watched him eat and swallow normally. He’s on doxycycline for the cough, so maybe that’s just making him gag since it tastes terrible. His cough sounds tracheal or bronchial and on chest/neck rads he has collapsing trachea and collapse of his mainstem bronchi. Enough to account for the cough but typically very chronic things and this owner swears up and down that this dog never coughed before three weeks ago. So Wed he will get a cspine MRI +/- CSF +/- bronchoscopy and tracheal/bronchial wash/culture.

Today I’m MRIing the cspine of a Rhodesian ridgeback with a pilonidal cyst. This came in through the surgery department and I’m easy as to who does the surgery, so I’ll do the planning MRI and they’ll do the surgery.
Old 03-24-20, 07:09 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Virginia is going into lock down mode at 1159 pm tonight. Only essential businesses will remain open. The liquor store made the list. I find this interesting. Is it open for true alcoholics that may go in withdrawal if alcohol gets harder to come by and could add people going to the hospital, or is open because it is state run and will help generate revenue.
Thoughts?
Liquor stores are in the same category as restaurants. Food and beverage stores.
Old 03-24-20, 07:12 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by BillyD
Fortunately I’ve got nowhere to go and it’s supposed to reach 51 today, so I won’t need to shovel at all.
I just had to shovel the entrance, since the plows made a mess and Mrs. rjones28 needs to get to the radio station.
Old 03-24-20, 07:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
That's pretty neat. I plugged in my home address and it spat out a 30 mile route that I think I have actually done

I looked at a few other suggestions and it routes me on to roads that I don't personally feel comfortable riding on, but I have seen other cyclists on before.

So, as always with algorithms, YMMV.
Yeah, on mine, it was routing me down some unfavorable streets. Not necessarily dangerous, but certainly neither ideal nor picturesque. I also have a feeling that some of the distance qualifiers might encourage shortcuts, but I'll need to play with it more.

Oh, also, you can select a starting point of your own - it doesn't have to be from your current location. This might be nice in my case, where navigating the metro, on the way to more open roads, is the tricky bit.

Kind of obnoxious that it's mobile-only, though. I don't use my phone for turn-by-turn navigation, most of the time if I'm riding a new route I will put a cue sheet together, either by hand or if it's a longer ride I will use the cuesheet feature on ridewithGPS.
Agreed. That was the first thing I checked. If I'm going to plan out (or even just scrutinize) a route, I want to be able to do it on a larger screen.
Old 03-24-20, 07:34 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Benson's all about getting the day started.
Old 03-24-20, 07:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Even though my Easter tour was rendered impossible weeks ago, Cape Henlopen State Park has closed its campground through May 15th, meaning I get a full refund of my $100+ reservation.

Cool.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-20, 07:46 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by rjones28
Lol Puppy Love would sleep in until 10 every day quite contentedly. Sometimes if you try to get her up earlier, she remains sleep-floppy when you pick her up.

Baby Ash just gets up when we get up. Although sometimes if you’re trying to lounge in bed half awake, she takes notice and enthusiastically greets your entire head. It’s quite an assault.
Old 03-24-20, 07:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Even though my Easter tour was rendered impossible weeks ago, Cape Henlopen State Park has closed its campground through May 15th, meaning I get a full refund of my $100+ reservation.

Cool.
Old 03-24-20, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Virginia is going into lock down mode at 1159 pm tonight. Only essential businesses will remain open. The liquor store made the list. I find this interesting. Is it open for true alcoholics that may go in withdrawal if alcohol gets harder to come by and could add people going to the hospital, or is open because it is state run and will help generate revenue.
Thoughts?
Sales of both wine and hard liquor in Pennsylvania are mostly controlled by the state through what we call "state stores." The state closed those stores a while ago.

Some grocery stores have wine and beer licenses under a law that was passed a few years ago. Problem is, those stores still have to buy their wine from the state, and the state ain't delivering. I was in a grocery store on Sunday. Inventory was very low. Went to Whole Foods this morning. It literally had four bottles of some sparkling wine left. Beer isn't a problem because retailers can buy it directly from distributors.
Old 03-24-20, 08:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
The same with Venus, she can’t wait to get out and chase some squirrels off her property.
Old 03-24-20, 08:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Fortunately I’ve got nowhere to go and it’s supposed to reach 51 today, so I won’t need to shovel at all.
Me and Chuck ...

Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-24-20, 08:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Telemedicine visits are interesting. We are using an intermediary called doxy.me that I suspect is kinda like Zoom or Skype, but is HIPAA compliant. Sometimes it works seamlessly, but sometimes the connection is slow and it does not work.

By and large, most patients are appreciative of the ability to "see" me and be "seen" by me without having to come in to the office.
Old 03-24-20, 08:19 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Lol Puppy Love would sleep in until 10 every day quite contentedly. Sometimes if you try to get her up earlier, she remains sleep-floppy when you pick her up.

Baby Ash just gets up when we get up. Although sometimes if you’re trying to lounge in bed half awake, she takes notice and enthusiastically greets your entire head. It’s quite an assault.
Getting the day started consists of a walk and breakfast. Breakfast being key. After that it's nap time.
Old 03-24-20, 08:21 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
It would be nice to ride, while I can, but it's raining. Again.
Old 03-24-20, 08:22 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Telemedicine visits are interesting.
From my YouTube feed.

Old 03-24-20, 08:31 AM
WhyFi

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sales of both wine and hard liquor in Pennsylvania are mostly controlled by the state through what we call "state stores." The state closed those stores a while ago.

Some grocery stores have wine and beer licenses under a law that was passed a few years ago. Problem is, those stores still have to buy their wine from the state, and the state ain't delivering. I was in a grocery store on Sunday. Inventory was very low. Went to Whole Foods this morning. It literally had four bottles of some sparkling wine left. Beer isn't a problem because retailers can buy it directly from distributors.
Oh yeah - I'd forgotten about that wrinkle with VA. VA has state stores, too, but they're only hard liquor - wine and beer is sold at grocers. See, this is where the weirdness of MN tangles things up for me - wine and real* beer cannot be sold outside of dedicated liquor stores (hence, if liquor stores don't stay open, riot in the streets).

*MN is the last state (I think) to sell the abomination known as 3.2 beer, available in grocers, a holdover from our recently-repealed Sunday liquor sales ban.
Old 03-24-20, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

*MN is the last state (I think) to sell the abomination known as 3.2 beer, available in grocers, a holdover from our recently-repealed Sunday liquor sales ban.
I remember getting that I CO on Sundays while I was hanging out with some people after a long tour in 2000. Except I didn't know it. The girl I was dating finally explained to me that the grocery store beer you could buy on Sunday was low-alcohol. That explained the lack of a buzz.

I remember beer being really cheap in MN during my 1999 cross-country trip. But then again, coming from Philly, beer seemed less expensive everywhere. The oddest thing was seeing it sold in gas stations when we stayed in Idaho. I had never seen that before. Left me wondering "Is this really a good idea?"
Old 03-24-20, 08:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
At one time, 18 years old and above could legally buy 3.2 beer in Colorado. We had 3.2 bars and nightclubs that had such things as "drown night". 6 bucks, all you could drink. Of course, you've all seen the pics and vids of of my favorite haunt, otherwise known as Lookout Mountain. Guess what was up on top of that, back in the day? Sams on the Hill... A 3.2 joint that did nights such as drown night, and other promo's. How in the hell did we survive?
Old 03-24-20, 08:55 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
At one time, 18 years old and above could legally buy 3.2 beer in Colorado. We had 3.2 bars and nightclubs that had such things as "drown night". 6 bucks, all you could drink. Of course, you've all seen the pics and vids of of my favorite haunt, otherwise known as Lookout Mountain. Guess what was up on top of that, back in the day? Sams on the Hill... A 3.2 joint that did nights such as drown night, and other promo's. How in the hell did we survive?
Geez, makes me wonder if it was the water content or the alcohol content that would get you intoxicated first.
Old 03-24-20, 08:59 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Geez, makes me wonder if it was the water content or the alcohol content that would get you intoxicated first.
Oh, believe me, you can get drunk on that ****.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-24-20, 09:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
no. He works in stock dept. different building. No direct contact.
That's good to hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.