Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I know I am going to get flamed for this but I am prepared! :)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 01:21 AM
CyclingVirgin

Bikes: 1991 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am interested in some GREEN tires as I feel it will make my bike stand out and allow me to make it my own...I know there are BETTER tires out there but I am more interested in this green thing I have going right now...so on that note...can you help me pick the best tire out of these group of tires please?!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A16QDZ1XG7GVFM

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-13, 01:27 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like the first one - lime green. Hey, if you're going to go, go big or go home as they say!
Old 03-11-13, 02:23 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
When I was shopping for tires the Rubino Pros had pretty good reviews. If color were my priority I'd probably get those.

Reasonable aesthetic considerations don't seem that crazy to me, honestly.
Old 03-11-13, 02:39 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
green as in eco?
Old 03-11-13, 03:07 AM
TOTAL CONTROL
Banned.

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Hudson 4600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no tree hugger, but I do believe in climate change. The issue is, can we really affect/stop an entire planets climate from changing??

Man has been buring fosil fuel for approx 200 years give or take when you enclude locomotive tech. Yet earth is over 4 BILLION YEARS OLD! The very "tree hugger scientist that advocate climate change agree earth's climate has dramatic changed its course several times over the 4B year span.

In short......I have no doubt the planet will one day freeze solid & kill us all.......again. & life will thaw & begin again.......again. best of luck with your tire hunt.
Old 03-11-13, 03:11 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL
I'm no tree hugger, but I do believe in climate change. The issue is, can we really affect/stop an entire planets climate from changing??

Man has been buring fosil fuel for approx 200 years give or take when you enclude locomotive tech. Yet earth is over 4 BILLION YEARS OLD! The very "tree hugger scientist that advocate climate change agree earth's climate has dramatic changed its course several times over the 4B year span.

In short......I have no doubt the planet will one day freeze solid & kill us all.......again. & life will thaw & begin again.......again. best of luck with your tire hunt.
the Earth will always be fine no matter how we treat it.

it just might be uninhabitable for humans (as they've currently evolved) which is a different problem.
Old 03-11-13, 08:43 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
I like the first one - lime green. Hey, if you're going to go, go big or go home as they say!
I like this answer but we need to kick it up a notch. The tires you're looking at aren't .....well ..... BIG enough!
A larger tire will wear better, last longer and long term you'll end up creating less landfill relative to a skinny tire. Suggest you go for at least 25c's. (and even that's still roadie territory)
Old 03-11-13, 11:06 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd pick Vittorias and then Maxxis, based on
a) I've only ridden Vittorias of those brands listed
b) price

I have some white Schwalbe Luganos that seem quite nice for a colored tire.
Old 03-11-13, 11:29 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TOTAL CONTROL
The issue is, can we really affect/stop an entire planets climate from changing??
Human beings have a poor track record of assessing long-term risk but they are even worse at assessing catastrophic long-term risk. [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-11-13, 12:57 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubino Pros are the shizz.
Old 03-11-13, 01:02 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
IMO, it doesn't really matter what the dinosaurs did or did not do about the Ice Age that wiped them out. That was their call. They made it and there you have it. From the fossil record, they did not have nearly as much to work with as present day humanity. IOW, the dinosaurs can be cut a little slack for not being able to build domed cities or relocate coastal habitations or migrate to alternative forms of energy.

As I understand it, the last Ice Age crept... literally... upon the life that existed at that time. The rate at which humans are altering the Earth's atmosphere exceeds anything previously occurring naturally by a HUGE margin. Many have made a sticking point of the issue of whether the obvious changes in climate are man-made or not. My answer is: And? What if it isn't? What if Climate Change is completely "just the way it is folks, deal with it". Does that let a sentient... technical, civilization off the hook of accountability? Are we thus empowered to continue to mine oil (...we have to mine oil now... it used to gush from the ground on its own... finite supply... you think?), burn coal and otherwise party like its 1999 until the superstorms are battering inland areas on a monthly basis?

I'm doing what I can with being car free and mindful of energy and water usage but I can't fix stupid.

H

Edit: On Topic Content - Black is the only 'correct' color for bike tires, Burnt Sienna is the only 'correct' alternative color for bike tires.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-11-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 01:13 PM
wobbooze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with expressing yourself
Old 03-11-13, 01:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
IMO, it doesn't really matter what the dinosaurs did or did not do about the Ice Age that wiped them out. That was their call. They made it and there you have it. From the fossil record, they did not have nearly as much to work with as present day humanity. IOW, the dinosaurs can be cut a little slack for not being able to build domed cities or relocate coastal habitations or migrate to alternative forms of energy.

As I understand it, the last Ice Age crept... literally... upon the life that existed at that time. The rate at which humans are altering the Earth's atmosphere exceeds anything previously occurring naturally by a HUGE margin. Many have made a sticking point of the issue of whether the obvious changes in climate are man-made or not. My answer is: And? What if it isn't? What if Climate Change is completely "just the way it is folks, deal with it". Does that let a sentient... technical, civilization off the hook of accountability? Are we thus empowered to continue to mine oil (...we have to mine oil now... it used to gush from the ground on its own... finite supply... you think?), burn coal and otherwise party like its 1999 until the superstorms are battering inland areas on a monthly basis?

I'm doing what I can with being car free and mindful of energy and water usage but I can't fix stupid.

H

Edit: On Topic Content - Black is the only 'correct' color for bike tires, Burnt Sienna is the only 'correct' alternative color for bike tires.
population is asymptotic at 10B or so, just relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-11-13, 02:31 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you really want to stand out, get Michelin Pro 4 Race in hot pink.
Old 03-11-13, 03:09 PM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ironic that the OP thought that green colored tires would start a flame-off, but instead it's tires of a different green causing the chatter
Old 03-11-13, 03:15 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
the Earth will always be fine no matter how we treat it.

it just might be uninhabitable for humans (as they've currently evolved) which is a different problem.
That's what you want to think. The earth will forever bear the scars from the time when humans became industrialized and then technologically advanced. There is nothing biodegradable about shopping malls or nuclear powerplants. The various industrial solvents, to say nothing of the pharmaceutical wastes which pollute our oceans will be mutating and negatively affecting sea life for... maybe as long as there is an Earth.

H
Old 03-11-13, 03:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Of those, I have heard accolades for the Vittoria Rubino. But I go cheap on tires so I wouldn't know first hand.

As far as colors go, this being the Commuting forum rather than road bike or racing, you could probably paint your spokes and we'd cheer you on.
Old 03-11-13, 03:33 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That's what you want to think. The earth will forever bear the scars from the time when humans became industrialized and then technologically advanced. There is nothing biodegradable about shopping malls or nuclear powerplants. The various industrial solvents, to say nothing of the pharmaceutical wastes which pollute our oceans will be mutating and negatively affecting sea life for... maybe as long as there is an Earth.
H
The Earth won't last forever in any case.

Pharmaceutical waste and nuclear power plants are still part of the Earth, like it or not. Stardust that is. You just need to make a difference between the living world and the Earth, the Earth is much more than just a home to living creatures, and anyways humans probably will be gone before the red giant destroys our planet. However as a living creature i agree with you about the need to care for our environment as long as we exist.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CarlSagan.jpg (36.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mikhalit; 03-11-13 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 03:40 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing wrong with going for a color that matches your bike. I've got red walls on my road bike it looks great.

BUT, be aware. I've found that tire companies change colors from year to year. If you rip a sidewall or somehow prematurely destroy one, it can be very hard to impossible to find an exact match. So you end up with a mis-match or buying 2 new ones. It's happened to me with a dark blue set several years ago. That's why black is always a good bet, but sometimes especially with a new ride you want to just do it right and go color. I get that.

With that said. I'd buy the Rubino's. They are the best ones on your list for sure.
Old 03-11-13, 04:29 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avoid the Serfas tires, they flat very easily in my experience.
Old 03-11-13, 04:46 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZManT
Ironic that the OP thought that green colored tires would start a flame-off, but instead it's tires of a different green causing the chatter
I know! And then the discussion turned to global warming! It just doesn't get much better than this ...!

Green is a pretty good color for bicycle tires. It kind of goes along with the 'ride/commute, drive less, do your part to help the planet' idea. We're all doing it by commuting. No flaming in this post!
Old 03-11-13, 05:38 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jharte
I know! And then the discussion turned to global warming! It just doesn't get much better than this ...!
The friction from green bicycle tires significantly increases global warming.

Better than red tires I guess. I like the cool of blue tires better.
Old 03-11-13, 05:56 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread just got me thinking into getting a set of tires that match the color of my camelbak/jersey...
Old 03-11-13, 06:47 PM
Trower
Bus Stop Ratbag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've put about 2.5k on my Green Rubino's, couldn't be happier. They ride well, grip well and wear really well.