Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Using Sun XCD Components? The new Suntour!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is Anyone Using Sun XCD Components? The new Suntour!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 10:06 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
^Great looking product and boldly offering for the classic market. Something Shimano, Sram and Campagnolo don't seem to target.

As for Microshift, this company is making very robust and affordable shift systems. For the aftermarket, their new 1 x 11 MTB clutched derailleur group cost a fraction of Sram and Shimano. Though oddly for the U.S., Microsoft can't sell even at dirt cheap bargain as demand for aftermarket shift systems is very poor just as new bike sales. 2019 is going to be a rough ride for the bike industry.

Anyways, hard to believe this company is already two decades old.
Old 02-20-19, 01:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
that's a nice looking hub!
I assume the OLD is 130mm?

Steve in Peoria
They also make a 120mm OLD. Covered in a previous thread.
You can put on whatever kind of cassette you can build.
I seriously considered it for my Titan, and still think about it for my International.
Great flexibility. I called them and you can order them from dealers.
Old 02-20-19, 01:44 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
They also make a 120mm OLD. Covered in a previous thread.
You can put on whatever kind of cassette you can build.
I seriously considered it for my Titan, and still think about it for my International.
Great flexibility. I called them and you can order them from dealers.
that's interesting! I just assumed it was designed only for modern cassettes. Presumably, a hub built for 120mm would require a narrower freehub, leaving the user to figure out what he or she can stuff into the available space. Probably very helpful for those who like indexed shifting but don't want to spread the rear end on their vintage bike.

I wonder how many of these they sell... hard to imagine there is any lack of old hubs, and there's no shortage of freewheels (right??).
OTOH, I can see that it would be really handy when you expect to have a lot of weight over the rear axle.

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-20-19, 02:22 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In reference to Microshift I have one bike running full Microshift drive train and another with shifters/front derailleur mixed with shimano rear derailleur, the compatibility is perfect and appreciable price difference, I cannot talk about longevity
I know at least three Spanish teams with Microshift groupsets, mounted on quality frames CKT, KTM and Guercciotti. frames,
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/produ...r-cassette-hub.
As said above this is a nice hub for C&V frames.
Old 02-20-19, 06:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoBianchi
In reference to Microshift I have one bike running full Microshift drive train and another with shifters/front derailleur mixed with shimano rear derailleur, the compatibility is perfect and appreciable price difference, I cannot talk about longevity
I know at least three Spanish teams with Microshift groupsets, mounted on quality frames CKT, KTM and Guercciotti. frames,
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/produ...r-cassette-hub.
As said above this is a nice hub for C&V frames.
That's cool. Ive been tinkering the idea of taking a mid 1990s atb and fit with the Microshift 1 x 11 kit. The package is extremely attractive priced including the monster range cassette. Only concern is the rear derailleur closer proximity to ground. I still like the simplicity and lightweight old school cantilevers but adding a 1 by would sweeten up a svelte fancy 90s hardtail.
Old 02-20-19, 07:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I got a Microshift MTB RD out of the BoC7 and it looks fine to me. No bike needs it right now so I haven't tried it.

I have 1x11, 11-42 on my modern commuter MTB and I think it's the cat's pajamas, as long as you have knobby tires and no hope of going fast in the first place.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-20-19, 07:25 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Not to raise a long dead thread back to the land of the living but who cares. I agree that Microshift is making the SunXCD under contract. But if the product is good what does it matter. Microshift also makes Gevanalle/Retroshift.

Microshift is becoming a player, albeit a small one. It wasn’t too long ago that SRAM went around and bought up companies all over the world to become a powerhouse. Who would have thought that? I see the same future for Microshift.
I'm pretty sure Microshift actually lost market share with 11 speed. I used to see some low end bikes that came stock with their shifters. I haven't seen any bikes with their new ones. As far as aftermarket, if I remember correctly QBP isn't cheap and the big chain store that used to rebrand them has gone under. I think it's a RD-R51 by the way.

Last edited by Kuromori; 02-20-19 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 07:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SRAM is clearly making some deals with the OEM's for NX sets.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-21-19, 03:57 AM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
That's cool. Ive been tinkering the idea of taking a mid 1990s atb and fit with the Microshift 1 x 11 kit. The package is extremely attractive priced including the monster range cassette. Only concern is the rear derailleur closer proximity to ground. I still like the simplicity and lightweight old school cantilevers but adding a 1 by would sweeten up a svelte fancy 90s hardtail.
Nice plan! Something like that would be my idea for my Trek 950 when her drive train lasts.