Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TJ's Tour and Future

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 03:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
between tvg and the riders of rohan (dennis) departing, bmc can kiss the ttt wins goodbye.
Old 08-11-18, 05:07 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Anybody watching this young American, Sepp Kuss, in the Tour of Utah?

Wow, laying waste to everyone in the mountains, all while wearing the yellow no less. He has a great relaxed style on the bike that reminds me of Thomas Voeckler. He plays very well with the fans to. Not sure if he's going to the Veulta. Hope so.

TJ? Ummm, not so good...
Old 08-11-18, 05:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
---------------SPOILER ALERT---------------------
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Thomas Voekler made better faces when he rode. And his crazy long attacks rarely worked.

This guy has nailed it twice from long range---very impressive. In a way i think it is more what Americans expect from bike races. this is the land of the hero, and the guy in yellow is supposed to be the best.

Watching the Euro races, the teams beats up everybody and the leader sometimes breaks lose on one or two stages in the last few hundred meters. he doesn't "lead" the team ... the team carries him to the door step.

Kuss kicked down the door and ran through and disappeared up the mountain. granted his team pushed the pace, but so did BMC and drapac.

I think it was a really mature move, in fact. Drapac would have attacked him every minute or two until he was cooked. if he had stayed in the yellow-jersey group he would have lost the jersey. he had the legs and the .. . saddle bag to attack while the other riders were just warming up ... caught them all napping.

One of the announcers said he was making the race boring. news flash---a lot of sports are boring a lot of the time. But those moments of excitement and emotion when some guy does something special ... like dropping all the GC contenders on the stage on which they had all planned to gang up on him ... is Not boring.
Old 08-11-18, 10:18 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well a truly disappointing day for Tejay today as he dropped 15 more places down to 18th today at the TOU. Kuss shot off for the stage win and it looked like Tejay hit his brakes. The whole pack just went by him. I don’t know what happened to his “Diesel engine” but he just hasn’t performed in the mountains like he should have. I was excited for his prologue win but after that, noting to write home about.

The only thing I’m thinking is that BMC will be at the Vuelta next and this was just a race to get in some training and not blow yourself out before the last GC of the year.
Old 08-12-18, 04:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Could be he is just tired. He has raced a long time and he hasn't got a big win in a long time. he has raced a lot of miles this year and bad luck and fatigue prevented him from earning accolades. He looked tired on the early climbing stages at Utah, and I think he is just physically and mentally worn out.

Sadly, I don't expect much at the Vuelta. I don't think he has much left.

I am hoping that come next year, with a mostly U.S.-based team and schedule, Tejay will find some success, win some races, maybe go to Europe fro some major one-week races ... which seem to be what he is best suited for.

He has been draining himself riding Grands Tours with very little to show for it. Wrong tool for the job, the tool get torn up. I hope next year will see him revitalized somewhat.

EDIT: the while BMC team seemed worn out at Utah, in fact. Too many miles in the legs. That also makes me think they won't be tearing it up at the Vuelta.
Old 08-12-18, 07:08 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by JT Burkard
The only thing I’m thinking is that BMC will be at the Vuelta next and this was just a race to get in some training and not blow yourself out before the last GC of the year.
I have to agree.

There is no way that a rider as experienced as he is should look so bad against such a young peloton unless he is just getting in some miles. He did say before the TOU, it was either race here or put in training miles, which makes it sound like he wasn't to serious about winning here. At least I hope he is sandbagging.

Travis McCabe - world class sprinter? Looked very good here and was always in the right place.
Old 08-12-18, 08:46 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Anybody watching this young American, Sepp Kuss, in the Tour of Utah?

Wow, laying waste to everyone in the mountains, all while wearing the yellow no less. He has a great relaxed style on the bike that reminds me of Thomas Voeckler. He plays very well with the fans to. Not sure if he's going to the Veulta. Hope so.

TJ? Ummm, not so good...
Yeah, he's been mighty impressive in the climbs. I recorded stage 5 and watched it this morning.

How is Kuss at sprints and TTs? Does he have what it takes to ever be a serious contender in a major?
Old 08-12-18, 11:23 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Yeah, he's been mighty impressive in the climbs. I recorded stage 5 and watched it this morning.

How is Kuss at sprints and TTs? Does he have what it takes to ever be a serious contender in a major?
So much has to go right in any athletes career to be "contender", so who knows? But he is heading in the right direction and he has left a real impression on everyone who's been watching

He is no sprinter for sure, and while he is getting better at TTs, he still has a ways to go as his early career has shown terrible TT results. He has a lot of international experience which of course is a good thing, and he's only 23, so I think he has a lot of potential to make a mark on the Pro circuit.
Old 08-12-18, 07:54 PM
Giacomo 1 

SPOILER ALERT
Wow, this kid is for real. Remember his name in the future, Sepp Kuss, winner of the TOU. He beat the stuffing out of this field and easily out classed everyone. He turns it on in the mountains with ease, leaving everybody behind. I really enjoyed watching this kid. Hope he's going to the Veulta.

I actually enjoyed the whole tour. Coverage was pretty good, best I can remember. Kudos to Fox Sports, they really stepped it up this time.
Old 08-12-18, 08:50 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I didn't see the last two stages as I am traveling cross country but if Tejay looked as bad as some are saying on the climbs along with slipping down to 18 in GC I have no clue why he's riding the Vuelta.
Old 08-12-18, 08:52 PM
Maelochs

From what they said on the site, Sep Kuss was supposed to do the Colorado Classic later this week, but is going to the Vuelta .... hopefully instead, and not after, the Classic.

it will be his first Grand Tour.
Old 08-13-18, 05:04 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
I didn't see the last two stages as I am traveling cross country but if Tejay looked as bad as some are saying on the climbs along with slipping down to 18 in GC I have no clue why he's riding the Vuelta.
I really don't think TJ was riding to win.

TJ said before the race he had to either get in training miles or he could just ride the TOU. Doesn't sound like this was much more than a training ride to him really.

Also, the announcers and crew picked stage winners everyday just like they do in the TDF, and none of these 5 guys picked TJ as their guy in the mountain stages. That's kind of odd as TJ should pretty easily outclass this field. My guess is they were told or had information that he wasn't riding to win. As a-matter-of-fact, they didnt even mention TJs name at all in that last stage.

Great news on Sepp going to the Veulta. I hope he can snag a stage or at least be competitive there.
Old 08-13-18, 08:15 PM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sepp put in an incredible ride, for sure. He is going places, and I look forward to watching him race in the future.

As far as TJ goes, I tend to feel that it's partly due to him leaving gas in the tank for the Vuelta, and partly due to being worn out due to a heavy schedule. The heat was brutal at TOU, to say the least, and that wasn't helping matters. I agree that he would probably be best in a one-week rotation - it will be interesting to see what JV does with him. Looking forward to seeing what he is doing in Girona when the training season starts, that will say a lot for his future.

Just for fun, a few shots I took on Stage 2, which was the only one I made it to this year. Had plans to attend the prologue and finish as well, but I got caught up in stuff at home. Did have a very fun day chasing the peloton around on my bike and in my vehicle, even got a few cool water bottles.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Vegasclimber; 08-13-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 08:39 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good pics...thanks for posting them !

Tejay ? Has really shown nothing that he can compete and win a GT ! I was hoping he could compete in this six day race but once again failed ! Maybe he is the only one NOT doping ? If not, he should ....LOL !

2 to 1 odds Sepp places higher in the Vuelta !
Old 08-17-18, 10:40 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
He never really came to prominence like everyone thought he would as the next great American GC rider. Perhaps he should just be a domestique and focus on stage wins.