Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just got a used 2007 Brompton- any mods recommended?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Just got a used 2007 Brompton- any mods recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 08:07 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Thanks. I never considered buying a used Brommie from the UK and having it shipped to the US because I thought shipping charges would be prohibitive. Then there's the issue of customs charges. I think you get a personal exemption on items up to $800 but not sure.
Customs charges are usually low, but the shipper may add on fees for presenting your item to the customs and these can dwarf the customs charges. One more issue is that theft of Bromptons is rampant in UK and being outside it may be hard to separate out legitimate sales from unloading of stolen property. While most stolen bikes likely go down the Gumtree some presumably leak out to Ebay.
Old 01-21-19, 09:38 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Dang. I never thought of that.

I was looking at sellers with a good, long track record.
Old 01-22-19, 01:53 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Dang. I never thought of that.

I was looking at sellers with a good, long track record.
I'd stay relaxed. The more as you can't do anything now. The bike has been registred at uk bikeregister (very common in the uk) as one can see from the red and white sticky on the frame below the saddle clamp. So in case it was stolen you can find it out quickly and should contact them anyway for registering it to your name. Other than that Brompton offers a stolen bike finder as well. Again I'd recommend either registering it at Brompton or - in case it has already been registered - to let the registration being rewritten to you. Might be a bit of a hassle as you possibly did not buy it from the original owner but worth it.
Old 01-22-19, 02:01 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Its German Abus made Bordo bike Locks https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu.../Folding-locks
One should have in mind that there are three variants of the Bordo out there: light, standard and Granit. Granit does not fit into the place behind the seat tube and is heavy, light is an invention to thieves. So possibly standard is the way to go for most people. You can however mount the Granit on top of the top tube or put any of the locks in the side pocket of a front bag. Trouble is: neither of them is very safe and one should have this in mind. Even the Granit version is easy to forcefully open if people know how to do it. When you look at the list of stolen Bromptons in the francophone Brompton forum you'll see that quite a few of them were secured with a Bordo.

I have been using the standard version from time to time on various bikes for a couple of years now but with the Brompton I prefer to not leave it alone in public places. In the end it is a folding bike - it goes with me where ever I go. Works flawlessly (even better with the rack-version the OP has bought) and I do it in 98% of the cases. Depending if bike-theft is an issue in your area or not this might be the best strategy. Once more the small footprint of the folded Brompton shines.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 01-22-19 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 03:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK glad I don't live there, I guess

Have the 6500 pouch where the bottle cage bosses are on the Bike Friday..s Top Tube .

Sailor had the Local shop Overhaul His B, he had flipped the rear latch over, so the smaller 6000 (or less ) fit in described space behind the frame seat tube..

Bike went on his Sailboat with him.. ,, Long voyage from here to any French Seaports..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-22-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 10:15 PM
mlau

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
I'd stay relaxed. The more as you can't do anything now. The bike has been registred at uk bikeregister (very common in the uk) as one can see from the red and white sticky on the frame below the saddle clamp. So in case it was stolen you can find it out quickly and should contact them anyway for registering it to your name. Other than that Brompton offers a stolen bike finder as well. Again I'd recommend either registering it at Brompton or - in case it has already been registered - to let the registration being rewritten to you. Might be a bit of a hassle as you possibly did not buy it from the original owner but worth it.
I may try that in a few weeks.

Been having my hands fill organizing school outreach for past few weeks. Will also be flying to Arizona for intensive implant training next week. And getting 3d scanner training next month.

In another note, I finally got on the bike. The shifters are really crappy. Ride is okay. Fold is pretty great. Love the Dynamo.

Only one thing drives me nuts..... the integrated bell sucks.
Can I unbolt it, and replace it with a crane bell?
Old 01-23-19, 11:02 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
In another note, I finally got on the bike.
Only one thing drives me nuts..... the integrated bell sucks.
Can I unbolt it, and replace it with a crane bell?
Congratulations!! Personally I am in favor of rotary bells, as producing a more persistent sound, and I have Mirrycle Brass Duet mounted on the RHS.
Old 01-25-19, 01:50 PM
mlau

I brought my Swift and Brompton to a friend who's' recovering from a heart attack.
We rode together.
It was fun.

I gave/loaned him my Swift.

The Brompton doesn't ride as nice as a Swift, but puts a big sloppy smile on my face.
I definitely plan to get/make a front bag....thinking of getting a frame, and attaching my Maker's bag in front.
It's nice that stuff just works!

On a side note, i tried checking the bike registry, but couldn't get in.
The serial number is partially scraped off.