Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I throw away this belt?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 07:39 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

I inadvertently caught some fabric between my gates timing belt and one of the CDX sprockets while putting our bike into the car. Before I realized it, the belt had shifted off of the center track. Not much force was used, I run our belt at pretty low tension, maybe 40 Hz when strummed. The belt only has about 4000 miles on it and has been trouble free. I know rolling a belt off the sprockets is a big no-no, so I replaced it with my spare. I closely inspected the belt and can’t see any evidence of even the slightest damage. In fact, other than a little faded, it looks new. Should I keep it as a spare and risk a dangerous break if I ever need to use it, or just throw it in the bin now?
Old 01-26-19, 05:55 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
That’s a tough call. We had a stick thrown up under the belt which rolled off the sprocket. We had no choice other than to roll it back on under tension. We’ve been using it for a season with no issues, but I inspect it before each ride.

In the end it comes down to your comfort level. The reality is that almost, if not everyone on this forum doesn’t know, and if asked, Gates would recommend replacement.
Old 01-26-19, 12:01 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
That’s a tough call. We had a stick thrown up under the belt which rolled off the sprocket. We had no choice other than to roll it back on under tension. We’ve been using it for a season with no issues, but I inspect it before each ride.

In the end it comes down to your comfort level. The reality is that almost, if not everyone on this forum doesn’t know, and if asked, Gates would recommend replacement.
Thanks for the reply. You’re right that no one really knows, but your experience with the stick helps me feel better about keeping the rolled off belt as a backup spare.
Old 01-26-19, 12:12 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns

Thanks for the reply. You’re right that no one really knows, but your experience with the stick helps me feel better about keeping the rolled off belt as a backup spare.
If it were me, I would put the original belt back on and carry the spare on rides for the next 500-1,000 miles or so. After that I would feel confident that it is okay and leave the spare at home. Then you still have a new replacement belt for when the time comes. On our bike, Santana, the eccentric can be loosened with a single 4 or 5? mm allen wrench, we carry a multi-tool with both, and I have put alignment marks (with a Sharpie) on our eccentric and it's housing. Thus replacement and proper tension (or close enough) can easily be done on a ride.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 S&S Santana Beyond
Old 01-26-19, 12:59 PM
reburns

Originally Posted by Chancy
If it were me, I would put the original belt back on and carry the spare on rides for the next 500-1,000 miles or so. After that I would feel confident that it is okay and leave the spare at home. Then you still have a new replacement belt for when the time comes. On our bike, Santana, the eccentric can be loosened with a single 4 or 5? mm allen wrench, we carry a multi-tool with both, and I have put alignment marks (with a Sharpie) on our eccentric and it's housing. Thus replacement and proper tension (or close enough) can easily be done on a ride.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 S&S Santana Beyond
Thanks. I also am set up for fairly easy roadside belt replacement, but my fear is that if the belt has been weakened such that it might fail catastrophically, that would most likely happen while we were hammering up a hill out of the saddle, thus probably causing a crash. In 13 years of tandeming I have yet to put the bike down, and I’m nervous that once I do that my wonderful stoker will be reluctant to get back on the saddle.
Old 01-27-19, 11:21 AM
TooMany

Bikes: See user name...

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some experience with a belt coming off. We also got a stick caught between the belt and the ring that derailed the belt to one side on the rear. I didn't replace it at the time as there was no damage I could see on the belt. We used the belt for another 2000 miles or so without any issues until one ride it started making a terrible noise similar to if you run your fingernail up a string instrument - combination of scrape and warble. We still didn't see any damage, but we replaced the belt and the sound went away.

Summed up (1 data point!), we didn't have our belt fail suddenly and were able to use it without consequence for a while longer.