Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Citizen bikes - any good?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Citizen bikes - any good?

Old 01-06-17, 07:48 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by zoom26
Not to be rude, but is it possible to get the tokyo to about 18lbs? I think the changing saddle and the seatpost would shed you off some weight too. What stem do you have with that handlebar because it looks extended
Sampson titanium bottom bracket and Sugino LP cranks with aluminum chainring, the combo weigh significantly less than OEM steel B/B and steel chainring/chainguard.

I used a Bontrager alloy stem/super light Race handlebar, cut off 1 1/2" from both ends to narrow the bike for my commute. Plenty of other stem/handlebar combo that can be lighter.

I replaced the OEM freewheel with a Sachs Regina alloy freewheel, that is also significantly lighter.
OEM brakes were replaced with 1st gen Shimano LX V-brake, lightest and likely the most noisy brakes under the right conditions.
OEM brake levers were replaced with Avid Dial7, OEM rear derailleur replaced with XT; all parts I have laying around in my basement.. all lighter than OEM.

Wheels/tires I leave OEM until they wear out.

I can probably fit a $60 16" Chinese carbon fork and change the OEM headset for lighter unit also.

Brompton pentaclip would be nice, but I rather have a one-piece seatpost.

For now, I'll keep everything as is until stuff breaks during my commute.

Last edited by cat0020; 01-06-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 04:28 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Actually a pentaclip is the same as what you have only aluminum.
Old 01-06-17, 07:46 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Yes, and I want a seatpost with clamp that's one piece.. not seat clamp that separates from the post.
Old 01-10-17, 09:09 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Another reason not to use 28T rear sprocket freewheel: Ground clearance.

Below image is a 23T rear sprocket with added chain links (added weight).
Lower pulley of the rear derailleur is about 1" off the ground.

Using a larger rear sprocket would require longer chain (add more weight) to avoid the lower pulley dragging on the ground while riding.. or just go with a shorter cage rear derailleur to maximize ground clearance.

BTW, swapped out the B/B and cranks to Rival alloy/Red carbon crankarms and EXO B/B for additional weight saving.

Last edited by cat0020; 01-10-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 11:35 AM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Another reason not to use 28T rear sprocket freewheel: Ground clearance.

Below image is a 23T rear sprocket with added chain links (added weight).
Lower pulley of the rear derailleur is about 1" off the ground.

Using a larger rear sprocket would require longer chain (add more weight) to avoid the lower pulley dragging on the ground while riding.. or just go with a shorter cage rear derailleur to maximize ground clearance.

BTW, swapped out the B/B and cranks to Rival alloy/Red carbon crankarms and EXO B/B for additional weight saving.

I have a Dahon Speed p8 that is at 29lbs without the water bottle yet, but has a saddle bag with a multi tool and 3 lights, an upgraded octalink ultegra crankset, schwalbe marathon kevlar guard tires, rear rack and skx fenders. I think the fenders,racks,tires and the seatpost pump with the wtb saddle are major factors why my bike is heavier. Also I swapped out the telescopic handlepost for a 27cm fixed fnhon outside fold handlepost ( lower position). I think I can get the bike at leasts 5lbs lighter by switching out the weight factors, but them it would be a less of a commuter lol
Nice looking bike btw, thinking of getting a tokyo for international travel
Old 01-11-17, 05:58 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Thanks.. My little Citizen Tokyo is a pure commuter, have other bikes to ride for travels or performance oriented rides.
I keep the bike minimal without bags or water bottle cage because I have to walk along the bike to get it through NYC subway and PATH train turnstile entrance:

Luckily, I still have a slim figure with all the pedaling that I do, I can fit through with the bike.
Old 01-12-17, 09:34 AM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.. My little Citizen Tokyo is a pure commuter, have other bikes to ride for travels or performance oriented rides.
I keep the bike minimal without bags or water bottle cage because I have to walk along the bike to get it through NYC subway and PATH train turnstile entrance:

Luckily, I still have a slim figure with all the pedaling that I do, I can fit through with the bike.
Even though my Speed is my commuter, it still gets most of the mileage, though for weekend riding I'll hop on my trek 7.2fx for added comfort. I'm on the heavier side at 210lbs and with the double crank set-up, I can tackle New York tolerably. Sometimes people that I rode with, either on road bikes or fixies, are surprised that such a small machine can keep up with theirs (Just don't go past 25mph on the flats because I'll be struggling by then) haha
Old 01-12-17, 04:46 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by zoom26
(Just don't go past 25mph on the flats because I'll be struggling by then) haha
25 mph in NYC is just accident waiting to happen... not only if impact occurs, but if you run over a nice pothole, cobblestone or sheet metal cover w/sharp edge.. flat tire, taco wheel.. ride to survive.
Old 01-13-17, 09:28 AM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25 mph in NYC is just accident waiting to happen... not only if impact occurs, but if you run over a nice pothole, cobblestone or sheet metal cover w/sharp edge.. flat tire, taco wheel.. ride to survive.
True that, I really avoid any metal while riding since tires don't have any traction on them especially when they're wet. If I do go beyond 20mph, it's really me putting a lot of effort, I just cruise within 10-18mph. I agree with ride to survive, I would always slow down or stop whenever I'm in a turning street or someone from incoming traffic is gonna make a turn since I've had experiences when drivers either don't see me or just think they have the right of way always. Ride safe always!
Old 06-08-17, 12:11 AM
Sabrina mn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctg492
Citizens Gotham 24-7 review. I love it for exactly what I bought it for. Toss in the back of the car and ride whenever and where ever I want. I have found it to be a nice ride. My usual cruising speed is 11.5 on my other bikes. This little bike same average. I would have no problem taking it on a 50 mile ride to be honest and hope to soon. I can fold or unfold in less than 30 seconds. Honestly I can not name one fault that this bike has.
I know it's been awhile, but was just wondering if you still like your Gotham 24-7, and if it's able to go up smaller hills (paved trail) without having to walk it up? I've got a 3 speed hybrid bike now, and always have to walk it up anything that looks like a hill. Am interested in this one so I can keep it in the car and hit the paved trails in the area, all are a little hilly.
Old 01-30-19, 09:46 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I'm on my 3rd Citizen bike now,

Previous two bikes were both stolen.
One while stored in lock basement, the other stolen from a school yard and I could not chase down the thief on foot.
Sometimes I hate NYC.
Old 06-30-19, 10:42 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Lots of good info on folders in here, especially Citizen. I take it you guys like them?