Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride the Rockies this year?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-27-19, 04:13 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone looking at Ride the Rockies this year? The route includes a lot of places I haven't been to before (which is kind of a sad commentary, considering that I live in Colorado).
https://www.ridetherockies.com/route/
Independence Pass and Monarch Pass are the big name climbs, neither of which I've done.
Old 01-27-19, 05:57 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's only a dream for me right now. Need to get into much better shape. Someday I'd like to do a Jasper to Banff ride.
Old 01-27-19, 09:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve looked over the route but I’m not sure I can attend this year. All the overnight towns are nice and can handle the group except for Hotchkiss. However RtR usually has vendors and a nice band at the fair grounds there. I’ve climbed Independence Pass a few times but it’s always been from the Aspen side. Monarch Pass always felt tougher for me than the numbers for some reason. It’s one of my favorite tours but my wife has scheduled family time at the beach starting the Saturday the ride is finished. It’s at least a two day drive back to NC so she will probably want me to not go. Plus I’m still recovering and just don’t know if I’ll be ready by then.

i hope you decide to go.
Old 01-31-19, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
I drove up the east slope of Independence on the way to spending a few days in Aspen. During my stay I cycled up and back down the west slope. Even though I had been out west the entire summer, much of it riding, the altitude still got to me. (The summit sits at over 12,000'.) The descent was fun. During the more curvy parts there were some Harley riders in front of me. I rode behind them and took the lane. The guy immediately in front of me was nice enough to point out rocks and other debris in the road.

Monarch I did east to west fully loaded. Had a hard time with it, but that may have been due in part to doing both Hoosier from Breckenridge and Trout Creek from Fairplay the day before.