Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

No-name aluminium MTB frames

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-25-19, 01:14 PM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,
In the past few years, especially recently, there have been far more no-name mountain bike frames hitting the market, mostly from China. I know that there have been many long discussions debating the quality of knockoff carbon frames, but would there be any issues with using a knockoff aluminium frame? Knockoff aluminium frames are basically what you would find on a mid-range big box bike, and I've never heard of anyone breaking a big box aluminium frame under normal conditions.

Does anyone have any experience with these cheaper aluminium frames?

Thanks,
novecho_delta
Old 01-26-19, 11:05 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not so much the frame as everything that comes with it... Make sure you get 1-1/8" steer tube. Hydro-formed aluminum is nice if you can find it at your price point ...
Old 01-26-19, 04:49 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Bikes Direct has a large selection of lesser known, pretty solid quality stuff: BIKES DIRECT
Old 02-01-19, 12:35 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are you sure they are from China and not Taiwan? Most aluminum frames, regardless of what name appears on the, are made in Taiwan by Giant.
Old 02-03-19, 07:59 AM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen aluminium frames from both China and Taiwan. I'm looking for a light-ish frame with disc brake mounts and a tapered head tube. I don't really want to purchase a complete bike, as I have some extra parts lying around that I would like to use. I also like customizing my bikes to my taste and don't really want to waste money on components I don't like.