Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eurovelo 8: From Angeles-sur-Mer to Avignon

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 05:09 PM
asiermila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
Some day ago I posted a new topic about the type of the pavement on Velodysee section between La Rochelle and Nantes. We are a family with two daughters (5 and 7 years old) with some cycling experience (Danube, Rhin, Garonne, Loire). We asked if the route mostly follows paved bicyle paths, or low traffic paved roads. What is the percentaje of unpaved paths? We are asking this because of the chindren. For them and specially for the youngest daughter, it is much more confortable cycling on paved paths.We received some helpul and kind responses. Someone recommended us to check in the web Cycle.Travel, which we did not know before. Just exploring teh web we found also interesting route to cycle the section Argeles-sur-Mar to Avignon following Eurovelo 8 at the mediterranean coast.
We tried to check information in the web eurovelo8.com, but information about the route is rather limited. Unlike Eurovelo 1 this seems to be less developed, with less bicycle lines.Coud anyboy tell me how is this aternative? is it easy to do with children (5 and 7)?

Thank you very much of your advices.

Asier and MIla

Old 01-29-19, 06:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
In 2011 my wife and I rode "Eurovelo 8" from Valencia, Spain to Avignon, France before we headed north toward Paris. We covered most of the route you are interested in.

None of the route was actually marked in 2011; at least we did not find any signs. There were several small segments that were on dedicated bike paths, but it seemed like the majority of it was on small roads. There were also a couple of areas that were on busy highways, but I think they were south of your starting point. We really picked our route up the coast as we went, so I couldn't tell you when or if we were really on the Eurovelo 8 or not. .

I would not take young children on the Eurovelo 8 Route unless it has been marked since then. With your experience the ride might be OK, but unless things have been improved you would still have to make your own route. Sorry, not much help.

If you are still interested, I'll get my wife's journal, and see if I can find out more about roads, bike paths, etc. She keeps pretty good notes

Are you on tandems or single bikes?
Old 02-04-19, 02:57 PM
asiermila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Doug64,

Thank you very much for your information. I have received similar reponses in other forums. So We have definitely decided to postpone this traver for the next year or further. This April we will ride from La Rochelle to Nantes, with seems to be much more friendly for children.

We go in single bikes. My children had their special sizes and very light bikes (about 7 kg). My daugther of 7 has a whoom bike of 20" wheel with my daughter of 5 has an early rider belter of 16" wheel.
My wife and me bring a followMe Tandem coupling for the moments the youngest (5) gets tired. If she is too tired she can go in a croozer for 2 kids. If it rain both kids go in the Croozers and their bikes coupled to our bikes. The Croozer goes cupled to Early Rider 16" and the this goes coupled to my bike.

Thanks again.