Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Free Camping

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Free Camping

Old 01-26-19, 09:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
I've spent inner city nights in the back of UHaul trucks at the rental lots before. It is safer than any park you'd find when in an unfamiliar city after dark. Just roll up the (always) unlocked door and slide in, closing it for a safe dry spot.
That seems harmless enough, but I would be concerned that someone in the law enforcement community might view it differently. I wouldn't want to face breaking and entering charges for something like that. I'd have the same concern about using the Home Depot sheds.
Old 01-26-19, 07:58 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I only tour in Australia, so just virtually camp anywhere, the thing being now though, is most listed Free Camping places are becoming Self Contained, so if you don't have at least a toilet on board, you cannot camp there. That makes it hard if you roll up on one late in the day, and you can't camp there and must move on. Riding on Australian roads at night is just not safe anymore, with inattentive drivers here. So more and more tourers, and RVer's that are not self contained are sleeping wild in the bush. Some of these people are grubs, and leave a mess where ever they go and this will eventually make it hard for Stealth, wild, and freecamping in the future.
Old 01-28-19, 08:07 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
U-Haul is another interesting idea. But for both, you have the bathroom problem (I'm female) and while there would be no breaking laws broken, there would be the entering one. I'll definately keep these in mind for when it's raining (I usually don't have a tent with me).
Old 01-28-19, 08:43 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
U-Haul is another interesting idea. ....and while there would be no breaking laws broken, there would be the entering one.....

depends on state statutes. there is often no requirement for physically "breaking" a lock or window when entering, and the entered space doesn't necessarily need to be a building.
you'll probably be safe from the burglary charge; i believe that requires "intent" to commit other crimes.
misdemeaners. regardless, if the owner presses charges, you could be setting yourself up for a fine or up to a year in jail.
Old 02-04-19, 02:57 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
depends on state statutes. there is often no requirement for physically "breaking" a lock or window when entering, and the entered space doesn't necessarily need to be a building.
you'll probably be safe from the burglary charge; i believe that requires "intent" to commit other crimes.
misdemeaners. regardless, if the owner presses charges, you could be setting yourself up for a fine or up to a year in jail.
There's also trespassing. But it doesn't really matter. If someone (like the cop) doesn't like you being there, you can get charged with all kinds of things, like destruction of property, etc. Doesn't matter if you're innocent, you'd still have to deal with the fallout and go to court. Is that risk worth it?
Old 02-04-19, 04:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
If there's not a sign that says "no trespassing"...then I don't think they can successfully prosecute you...as long as you don't go opening doors or go into a fenced area.
Both the dumb U-Haul idea and the dumb Home Depot idea require the "opening of doors". It may not be a store door but you are going into a closed area without permission or ownership.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-04-19, 05:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
...then I don't think they can successfully prosecute you...
"You might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride!"
Old 02-04-19, 05:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
I'm not huge a fan of diddling around at the end of the day trying to find a place to camp, but for others that's part of the touring experience. It's all good.

Free is never refused, but I'm not going to route my tours away from points of interest or eschew riding scenic country lanes just so I can stop over at a known free campsite. I'm always only too happy to pay my way at a campground offering potable water, shade, peace & quiet after hours, toilets and even (gasp!) showers. At the other extreme, though, I'm not a fan of paying 'RV with electric and sewer hook ups' prices to roll out my bivy.

If you wander into any small town bar late at night on your bike (in the Midwest USA) someone will find a place for you to camp.
Or contact the Catholic or Protestant church in that small Midwest town. Or the VFW Hall. Or fraternal organizations (many of which have a sign as you enter the town limits).
Old 02-05-19, 06:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
If there's not a sign that says "no trespassing"...then I don't think they can successfully prosecute you...as long as you don't go opening doors or go into a fenced area.
Uncorrect, as usual.