Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bent stays on a Brommie rear rack

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 10:52 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

My friend's Brommie rear rack has a bent stay (RH side, I think she said) which is also cracked near where it attaches to the frame near the rear wheel. This damage happened when it was in checked baggage on a flight. I figure it can be straightened and the crack can be repaired by a shop that does aluminum welding. The fender/mudguard was also bent but that was easily straightened.

Anyone have experience with this type of situation? Suggestions (aside from buying a new rack)? Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 11:04 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Most Brompton shops should have replacement stays. These usually aren't repairable; just replaced.

What type of luggage used; soft bag? I normally use the original cardboard box from Brompton.
Over a dozen trips over the years; no problems so far:
Old 02-07-19, 12:14 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Here in the Arabian Gulf (Dubai) there are no spare rack parts. Shipping from England is more than the part would cost, never mind how long the "new" dealer will take placing the order. The luggage is irrelevant as the damage occurred during an air flight it was in an Ikea dimpa bag and surrounded by bubble padding... The Brommie was purchased used several years ago and has been travelling in this dimpa bag with lots of bubble padding.

Hence, the question about welding.

FWIW, Porto V has certainly become "western" as compared to the sleepy Mexican town of the late 1970s. Might as well stay home instead of returning.

Last edited by tmac100; 02-07-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 12:29 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by tmac100
........ The luggage is irrelevant as the damage occurred during an air flight it was in an Ikea dimpa bag and surrounded by bubble padding... The Brommie was purchased used several years ago and has been travelling in this dimpa bag with lots of bubble padding.
How do you figure that packing in an Ikea bag didn't play a role in the damage? It may not happen every time;
but damaged roller arms and racks happens all the time when using soft luggage.
Old 02-07-19, 12:37 PM
tmac100

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
How do you figure that packing in an Ikea bag didn't play a role in the damage? It may not happen every time;
but damaged roller arms and racks happens all the time when using soft luggage.
The damage is done. I want it fixed. Not interested in this discussion of packing yadda. Next time this Brommie goes overseas it will most likely go in a harder type of bag/box/chest/??

Now back to the welding question which still remains unanswered.
Old 02-07-19, 12:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
got pics? what is the material it's made of?
Old 02-07-19, 12:52 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Aluminum can be repaired/weld by the right person/equipment. The question is if your item CAN be weld.
I think the rack stays are hollow. Don't have one so unsure. Another option might be to find a suitable replacement;
not a Brompton specific part. Same size with holes drilled in the right spot. Even steel will suffice I suppose; just
heavier.
Old 02-07-19, 01:07 PM
tmac100

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got pics? what is the material it's made of?
No pics. Re-read my original post about the material....
Old 02-07-19, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A welding shop can re weld the cast aluminum. the factory riveted on the struts to the rack , you May have to drill out that rivet, before turning it over to the welding shop..

do a lot of flying? consider a hard case or a Nitto steel tack plated so its pretty too..

https://www.perennialcycle.com/bromp...bags-rear.html

as cast aluminum will crack again in a roughly handled soft case.. or bag..

Old 02-07-19, 03:54 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The stays are alu tubes in my memory. You just need to get a tube of right diameter, cut it to length, flatten the ends and drill holes there. The original stays are attached to the rack with rivets and you need to drill out the one for the broken stay and replace it with a bolt.

I replaced stays for racks on other bikes, but not on Brompton. The Brompton rack stays got bent for me numerous time in travel. (In fact, early on nearly every time the bike was checked in.) The solution that appears to work for me is a more explicit triangulation, see this thread.