Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for Garmin Touring Edge Plus

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 11:26 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

So I’ve had the Touring edge plus for several months. I haven’t successfully delved into its features. Tried to initially load a RidewithGPS route. Lost patience. So have just used it for the basics. Now with winter upon us and some additional time to figure things out, I’m interested in loading routes, pairing it with a smart trainer, if possible, that was a Christmas gift, maybe HRM and etc. Any advice from those out there with this unit?
Old 12-30-18, 11:43 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
...Tried to initially load a RidewithGPS route. Lost patience....
We have no idea what problems you had doing this but it's not hard (especially, after doing it once). I'm assuming you are using MS Windows.

The Edges look like normal USB drives when plugged into your computer. The Touring will show-up as two drives.

* In RWGPS on the page for the route, click on "Export as Fit" (you can use TCX too).
This will save the file to your "downloads" folder.

* Copy/move the file from the "downloads" folder to the "\Garmin\NewFiles" folder (on either drive).

* Eject and turn on the unit.

* Find the course by going to "where to?" -> Saved -> Courses.

Creating routes on RWGPS is a bit more work. Start with a simple route around your neighborhood.

At the right of the route creation/edit page, there is "Follow roads", a few other things, and "Add/remove control point".

"Follow roads" => is the "extend a route" mode. This is the mode to use when first creating a route or extending (making it longer).
"Add/remove control point" => is the "change existing parts of a route" mode.

The white circles are the "control points". Think of them as pinning the red route line to the map. You can relocate the red line between the control points by dragging the red line.

With "Add/remove control point", you can add new control points by clicking on the red line. You can remove control points by clicking on the control point.

Don't create "too many" control points. RWGPS will draw a reasonable route between control points as long as they are not too far apart. (you can change the route later, if it ends-up not going where you want it to). And don't click on intersections (click a short way after the intersection).

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-30-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 11:51 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is a tutorial on the RideWithGPS website. Also on YouTube.
Old 02-03-19, 04:12 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I'm wondering if some of my initial lack of success is because I have a Mac? In the meantime since my initial post, I rode a 200k brevet the first of January and used a downloaded RWGPS route on my iPhone. Worked flawlessly. For piece of mind, at the same time I used a printed cue sheet, with my Garmin basically serving as a lowly bike computer for mileage. I'm thinking that will be my go-to navigation system as I head into Randonneuring season. If it performs flawlessly, then it will be my system when I do the Trans Am bike race. Thought about attempting to download the RWGPS maps on the Garmin, which was the purpose of this post, as further back-up. But after hearing fellow long distance riders complain about their Garmins, I'm holding off. Should know by the middle of April if I need to change the plan.
Old 02-03-19, 09:35 AM
njkayaker

I'm wondering if some of my initial lack of success is because I have a Mac?
No. RWGPS is a website and copying files is copying files.

You haven't provided any detail of the problems you had. It doesn't seem you did anything with the information in my lengthy post from over a month ago.

It's possible you just need someone to spend 15 minutes showing you what to do.

...used a downloaded RWGPS route on my iPhone. .
Did you use the RWGPS app?

You might also consider getting a "off line' map app (like Galileo or maps.me) and loading the routes (as GPX) into those as a backup. These don't require cell access to a cell network to work.

For piece of mind, at the same time I used a printed cue sheet, with my Garmin basically serving as a lowly bike computer for mileage.
I just use the 800. I don't use the cuesheets at all.

But after hearing fellow long distance riders complain about their Garmins, I'm holding off. Should know by the middle of April if I need to change the plan.
The Touring had some issues (I had one and replaced it). Some of those LD riders might not really know how to use them or how they work.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-03-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-03-19, 10:59 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Did you use the RWGPS app?

You might also consider getting a "off line' map app (like Galileo or maps.me) and loading the routes (as GPX) into those as a backup. These don't require cell access to a cell network to work.
On the RWGPS app you can download the map for off line use. Cell service is then not required.
Old 02-03-19, 11:13 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mibike
On the RWGPS app you can download the map for off line use. Cell service is then not required.
Yes. When I was trying it, that's what I did (it's probably what people should generally do).

The RWGPS app sort of lets you do what RWGPS thinks is reasonable to do.

The other apps are a more basic form of map. They also don't require a subscription. And you can load multiple routes onto them. I do this as a supplement to the Garmin (it's much easier to review routes and maps on a smartphone).

You can set up the other apps well before the event and be certain that you have everything you need. (How the process works in the RWGPS app is a bit more opaque.)

Nothing wrong with the RWGPS app but knowing about the other apps might be useful.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-03-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 10:13 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I got this for my wife. I download RideWithGPS files for her all the time and they work really well. BUT you need to download ones that have turn by turn directions.
Also, and I'm not sure about this, I don't think that unit can connect to a heart rate monitor.

Good Luck!
Old 02-10-19, 08:20 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cccorlew
I got this for my wife. I download RideWithGPS files for her all the time and they work really well. BUT you need to download ones that have turn by turn directions.
Are the "turn-by-turn directions" she gets the ones with big white arrows?

There are actually two types: one Garmin calls "course points" and then other Garmin calls "turn guidance".

"Course points" are in the file (either tcx or fit). The Touring doesn't really support these (they are still there but what the Touring does with them isn't useful, unfortunately).

"Turn guidance", the big white arrows, is actually calculated by the device (why the device says "Calculating..."). The Garmin actually generates a second route that follows the roads on the map installed on the device.

The only thing "turn guidance" uses in the file is the track points. That is, you'll get the same white arrows with a GPX track file). That is, you can use any file on the Touring (or any of the devices that use "turn guidance") as long as the file is a track.

(Rwgps provides a gpx "route" file, which contains very few points. This file won't work on the Edges.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-10-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 03:37 PM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE=njkayaker;20787590(Rwgps provides a gpx "route" file, which contains very few points. This file won't work on the Edges.)[/QUOTE]

RideWithGPS also provides GPX Track, TCX Course, and FIT Course. Any of them will work on an Edge.
Old 02-10-19, 08:24 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mibike
RideWithGPS also provides GPX Track, TCX Course, and FIT Course. Any of them will work on an Edge.
Yes. They all work for "turn guidance". These are all track files.

Edges that doesn't use maps (500/510/520) don't provide "turn guidance". They use "course points". You won't get "course points" with GPX. You will with TCX or FIT.

The RWGPS gpx route file doesn't work on any Edge.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-10-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 11:17 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I think what I meant was that she gets the names of streets to turn on and not only arrows.
Old 02-11-19, 06:10 AM
njkayaker

I think what I meant was that she gets the names of streets to turn on and not only arrows.
​​​​​​
The street names are part of what the unit is calculating.

BUT you need to download ones that have turn by turn directions.
What the files have are "course points". The Touring doesn't use "course points".

​​​​​​You can use files without "course points" on the Touring.

The turn directions (arrows and street names) are calculated by the device by "walking" the track.​​​​

All of the units that use maps work this way. Generally, you can turn it off (maybe, not on the Touring).

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-11-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 09:17 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Unfortunately the Garmin stuff doesn't last long, which sort of upsets me because my touring model only lasted 3 years then it died, that's a lot of money for 3 years of use, but when it worked it was great, though sometimes it took some time for the routing to come up, but it had everything I wanted in a touring computer. But the cost of these things combine with the relatively short life span I went to waterproof maps from Adventure Cyclists and my phone if I need it. I know people who tour like myself, and most of them have reported the same short life span with theirs, so it's not a fluke, in fact it's a fluke if one lasts a long time!

I am thinking of trying the Garmin ETrex 30, I ran into some who use this device and they all say they've been very reliable and the battery lasts far longer plus they're just AA bats so you can buy them anywhere and not worry about having to send it back to Garmin to get the bat replaced.

Last edited by greatscott; 02-20-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 09:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Curious why the OP doesn't use Garmin Connect and the mobile app ?.

Course generation is as nice as RWGPS, once saved it'll be available on the Connect App for a painless BT sync to the device.