Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Affordable track bike

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Affordable track bike

Old 02-14-19, 05:34 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Affordable track bike

It appears that many of the big Bike brands have stopped selling lower end track bikes.

What do you folks recommend for a new track bike under 1500$ ish dollars?

thanks
Old 02-14-19, 06:44 AM
Bigpond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What type of ride are you looking for?

Surly Steamroller, Wabi, All City Big Block and Soma Rush are a few good steel options with a nod to general riding.
Dolan precursa and All City Thunderdome are decent alloy frames with slightly less clearance.

Only the BB is available complete and comes in at 1k.

There are still plenty of excellent new frames in production it just depends what you’re looking to do.

I have to admit to being a little curious about the Cinelli Shark...

edit- tomorrow retrogression will be back online making this whole process that much easier!
Old 02-14-19, 07:01 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
When you say "track bike" are you talking something specifically to take on a velodrome? Or are you just referring to a fixed gear bike in general?

If you're looking for a fixed gear bike for street riding, you can get a lot of bike for $1500. The wabi special comes to mind right off the bat.

For true track bikes I guess the answer depends on the type of track bike you're looking for, NJS steel? Aluminum? Carbon? Are you riding for fun or racing?
As for big bike brands, Fuji made a mid range track bike called the track pro at least as recently as 2018 that's within your budget. Cannondale has the CAAD10 track. Giant makes one called the Omnium.
Dolan makes a nice line of track bikes that I've heard good things about.
This isnt really my area so Ill let somebody else take it from there.
Old 02-14-19, 08:59 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Track bike for track: Dolan Pre Cursa, Felt TK3 -- probably the two most widely used entry level track bikes that aren't made by street fixie brands. Both available complete under 1k.
Old 02-14-19, 12:05 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Thanks for the reply’s. I will be using the bike to get certified on a velodrome near my house. I will not be racing but mostly doing 40 or 50 laps for exercise when they have open track sessions.

I was set set on a Fuji Pro but that bike is not available this year. I should have bought it in November when I had the chance.

Building from a frame frame could be a great option.
Old 02-14-19, 12:44 PM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you won't have to look too hard to find someone selling a bike or frame in your size at the velodrome. You might also be able to score a deal on a used rental frame. If you're set on buying new, Retrogression has carried the Dolan Pre Cursa which is a very common velodrome rental bike in addition to several others.
Old 02-14-19, 12:46 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Thanks for the reply’s. I will be using the bike to get certified on a velodrome near my house. I will not be racing but mostly doing 40 or 50 laps for exercise when they have open track sessions.

I was set set on a Fuji Pro but that bike is not available this year. I should have bought it in November when I had the chance.

2018 is still around if you're dying for it. Can't reccomend it either way though.
https://www.citygrounds.com/products...nt=95331680281
Old 02-14-19, 01:03 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
https://feltbicycles.com/products/tk...bike-blkshadow

https://www.citygrounds.com/products...xoCuNsQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Philasteve; 02-14-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 01:22 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I appreciate and applaud your plan to ride on your local velodrome non-competitively. I used to regularly attend "Intro" nights at mine until they told me that it was time to stop it and move into their regular racing events. I didn't

The Prercursa that seau grateau mentioned is a well-regarded bike around here, that in the past was a pretty decent price, and nowadays they've added more customization "options" than they once offered. But you have to to factor in that shipping costs from GB have gone up a lot lately and also that you may have to jump through Customs hoops to get it in here, that may even likely even add import fees. Felt TK3 is also a nice entry-ish level real track bike that if you are the right left-over size you can find at big discounts on the interwebz.

If last years Fuji Track Pro is your heart's desire - there's still a couple on-line retailers still selling marked-down '18s. There are others, but IIRC City Grounds has a pretty good rep...
https://www.citygrounds.com/products/fuji-track-pro-usa-bike-2018?variant=95331745817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpjpou674AIViZyzCh3TngKmEAkYBCABEgKAJPD_BwE

Have you thought about inquiring in the real Track Racing sub-forum here? Check in the Racer's forum.

Have fun & good luck...

Edit...Dammit, I'm too long-winded lately - PeopleAreIdiots and Philasteve beat me to it...

Last edited by IAmSam; 02-14-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 04:11 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

2018 Fuji Track Pro $1079.97 free shipping. Looks like they have every size in stock:

Road Bikes | FUJI 2018 TRACK PRO | TRACK PRO | FUJI 2018 | BikeShopWarehouse.com | If you are serious about hammering around ovals then the <b>Fuji Track Pro</b> is here for you.
Old 02-14-19, 05:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

i see the bike listed here. Thanks. How do I know if these web sites are legit ? I’m comfortable buying through bikes direct but some of the other sites I’m not familiar with and am reluctant to try.

i was really wanting to go through a local bike shop but that may not be possible now although I can buy Felt products where I live.
Old 02-14-19, 08:14 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

i see the bike listed here. Thanks. How do I know if these web sites are legit ? I’m comfortable buying through bikes direct but some of the other sites I’m not familiar with and am reluctant to try.

i was really wanting to go through a local bike shop but that may not be possible now although I can buy Felt products where I live.
I would just search google. https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/houston/pr...-0915-90028493
Old 02-14-19, 09:00 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

It's actually the same owner as Bikesdirect .I bought a bike from them and they are legit
Old 02-15-19, 06:13 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by rms13
It's actually the same owner as Bikesdirect .I bought a bike from them and they are legit
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 02-20-19, 06:29 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
It appears that many of the big Bike brands have stopped selling lower end track bikes.

thanks
slick 15 hundy be a bunch of cash fir a fixie
many choices.
Old 02-23-19, 02:30 AM
fastkad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

thanks
I picked up a 2016 Canondale CAAD10 for $1k shipped few months ago. It was new in box with the stock specs (racing-ready, should you ever decide to). It has much better specs than Felt TK3 that I bought new around 2012.
Old 02-23-19, 07:48 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs look pretty similar. If anything, the the tk3 looks to be slightly more track focused than the caad10 but I doubt either would get too much attention at the velodrome. That said, omniums are pretty sweet!
Old 02-23-19, 01:12 PM
fastkad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigpond
Specs look pretty similar. If anything, the the tk3 looks to be slightly more track focused than the caad10 but I doubt either would get too much attention at the velodrome. That said, omniums are pretty sweet!
I actually had a TK2 which is more comparable to CAAD10. Frame aside, TK3 has more inexpensive parts from head to toes.

How do you mean by “track-focused”? Were you referring to bottom bracket height? I did laps on those 2 bikes and found few differences.

However, it’s true C’dale no longer makes tracks bikes while Felt still does. That fact barely changes the handling characteristics though
Old 02-23-19, 01:31 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i don't have much interest in the CAAD10's but when they were on clearance for $900 it was tempting. the wheelset and crank will set you back nearly the same amount if purchased separate. still some left out there but it's slim pickings. if you catch one in your size hard to go wrong.
Old 02-23-19, 01:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
CAAD10 track always struck me as kind of a half baked bike. The head tube angle is pretty slack for a track bike and it didn't really offer anything that couldn't be had for a better price, based on MSRP. 1k is a great deal for one though.

Also, cross-posting from the great deals thread, but there's some tight deals on Felts at the moment if you ride a 56 or 58. https://www.ebaystores.com/wheelandsp...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 02-28-19, 10:12 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

You would be better off asking in the track section.

Be careful you get a "real" track bike and not just a fixie. A real track bike has a high bottom bracket that will allow you to ride around a velodrome without pedal strike (how steep/long is your track anyway?).

Really, for what you described, a $500 bike should be fine. I started out on a KMS Flite (same design as bike direct's Kilo) and raced on that for a year or two before I was good enough to notice the difference with a good bike. For doing laps and general exercise, $500 is plenty for a track bike. You should be able to get a Felt, Trek, Fuji, or Bike direct in that price range. Spending more $$$ than that will get you a stiffer, lighter, more aero bike - but do you really care about that for what you are doing?

Another benefit of getting a $500 bike is that they are easy to sell if you decide to get serious and upgrade.