Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Pioneer SGX-CA600 really hard to see

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 02:59 PM
Reggieb

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Elite, 2009 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I pre-ordered this guy...because reasons I guess? Anyone else have this and find it's really hard to read out on the road? It's WAY too dim. I was riding with 3 computers on my first ride with it, just for comparison. My wife's Edge 810, my Hammerhead Karoo, and the CA600. The Edge and the Karoo were perfectly legible at about 50% brightness (gloomy day), but even after I found the control for the display brightness (in the bike profile menu - why the heck is it in there?) and cranked it, I still had to lean in to the thing and look hard to see it. Not exactly safe on the road.

I was trying to figure out if I have a dud, or if it would be possible for it to be upped with a firmware update, and Pioneer support says they don't know if it can be fixed. I guess they can't ask a product manager? The Pioneer brand manager at Clever Training is trying to find an answer, if a firmware update could allow for the backlight to be increased, or if it's always going to be like this. Interestingly, on my second ride, I had Oakley Prizm Train lenses, and they improved the contrast, and therefore legibility, quite a bit - plan to give some Prizm Road lenses a try this weekend.

Anyone else have the CA600? Do you feel the same way, or do you disagree?
Old 02-11-19, 04:00 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Never knew Pioneer made a bike computer so I did a Google search and checked it out. Pretty nice from what their web page is describing. I don't have an answer for you but I hope you find a solution to your issue with the brightness. I'm wondering if there is an option to reverse the screen and turn it into gray scale, if that would make it any better?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-16-19, 12:07 PM
deepheat

Bikes: Look 695, Felt SL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backlight issue on Pioneer SGX-CA600

I bought this unit to go with the Pioneer Power meter that will not be in until April for the size I want. My local bike shop ordered both the power meter and the head unit. Surprisingly, the CA600 device came in very quickly. I have been using it for several weeks now and have been generally pleased with it's operation. I have owned several Garmins, but decided to purchase this because I wanted to get all of the data from the compatible power meter. Regarding your issue with the backlight, when I received the device it was set on level 3 brightness. This is not very bright, but after I tried the various levels I settled on level 5. It is plenty bright enough for me to see in all but the brightest conditions.Level 10 is very bright, but I fear it would use the battery up. If I were you, I would contact Pioneer with your concerns. It's a relatively new unit and am sure they would not want you to be dissatisfied.
Old 02-16-19, 06:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I had known that Pioneer made cyclist monitoring gear but it has been a long time. They had to merge with Onkyo, the audio/video business has been that down for them but they always made really good optical (CD/DVD) drives for computers.

Good to hear that it is well liked.