Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

2018 Industry Figures: 78% Increase in E-Bike Sales$: All Other Categories in Decline

Old 02-04-19, 07:57 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I don't agree with the decision to move the thread. The data is for the entire industry, not just for e-bikes.

I'm interested in the rising popularity of gravel bikes as well for example. The roads around my parts are in increasingly poor condition. I'm starting to think I'd be better off buying a gravel bike like the diverge instead of going with a marginally wider tire on my road bike.

A bike like the diverge would allow me to ride in comfort on the broken up roads and paved trails, and also to ride on the relatively smooth off-road trails in my area. I think it would be a blast quite frankly. It looks like there is a diverge at the $2K price point which might be just up my alley. I might want to add a rack and turn it into an occasional day touring and errand bike as well. Quiver!

I was hoping we could have a semi-civil discussion on the changes in the bicycle industry but the trolls rushed in and forced the mod's hands.

Too bad cyclists on this forum are so fixed in their thinking that any changes are perceived as a threat.
Old 02-04-19, 09:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to get a gravel rig. Some of them get a little heavy, so keep an eye on that if weight matters to you.

My local Performance had a Marin Gestalt for $379 or so during their last week in business. I forget exactly which model, but it weighed 25 lbs, much better than the portly Four Corners which was 28 lbs, and just about the same price I think.
Old 02-04-19, 10:20 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...s#.XFRtlS2ZMy5... The average wholesale price of a bike in 2018 was up 15 percent, from $467 in 2017 to $537 in 2018.

Adding e-bikes to the mix contributed to the higher selling price. E-bike sales were up $54 million from the year prior, a 78 percent increase.

The average wholesale price was $2,033.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 02-16-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 12:35 AM
radroad

It's odd that the two segments of the cycling industry with the biggest sales increases are so unpopular on this forum.

E-bikes (5 viewing)
Gravel (28 viewing)

Vintage (135 viewing)

It seems like the forum is stuck in the past, unable or unwilling to keep up with a changing industry.
Old 02-05-19, 07:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
the forum has no control over what people post and read about. We dedicated a forum to recreational gravel bikes, but we can't force anyone to go in there that doesn't want to do so. It seems like a fairly popular forum.

Originally Posted by radroad
I don't agree with the decision to move the thread. The data is for the entire industry, not just for e-bikes.
This thread fits fine in here and seems a bit like trolling in other forums. We aren't interested in a thread that is an invitation for ebike bashing in the rest of the forum. ebike bashing in the ebike forum needs to be fairly limited or we will deal with it. Threads about using an ebike for touring, racing, long distance, gravel riding, mountain biking or folding all belong in here, and not in the rest of the forum. ebikers are certainly welcome to post in other forums with the caveat that they don't derail threads into discussions about ebikes.

This forum doesn't just have to be about dead batteries and other hardware topics. I look at the list of threads and don't see any that particularly interest me. I mostly just monitor this forum for spammers. People have fun on their ebikes, but I see little evidence of that in this forum.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-05-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 01:16 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Anyone who wants to see a useless forum go to MTBR where the so called super moderator allows the haters to run rampant. The cretins have scared most of the contributors who desire to discuss eMTB''s, components and other related issues away.

Last edited by 2old; 02-05-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 02:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Spoonrobot, it appears that you failed to read to the end of my post.
Old 02-05-19, 02:49 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Spoonrobot, it appears that you failed to read to the end of my post.
I did, quite on accident. It was the last post on the previous page and I missed it. I'll delete my post, I'm sorry for taking this offtopic for this forum.
Old 02-05-19, 04:07 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Don't worry, these electric bike thingies are a compete waste of time and won't last. They do everything a bike should not, as in use non-renewable energy for no benefiit to the planet whatsoever. I'm comfortable for people over 70, once they've been vetted and passed OK by their Drs, to be granted a permit to use these ill-begotten means of transport, but, apart from that, what's the point? What worries me more are the scooters and other two wheel devices you see on the pavements everywhere these days, weaving in and out of the pedestrian traffic. These devices should require a licence, and should either be restricted to the roads or cycle lanes.

The other point is, of course, that disposing of these things creates yet another pollutant we could well do without, in the form of the batteries.
Thank God I'll be 71 in a short while. I would hate to be in the wrong segment to use my eKit Bike ...
Old 02-05-19, 04:08 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's odd that the two segments of the cycling industry with the biggest sales increases are so unpopular on this forum.

E-bikes (5 viewing)
Gravel (28 viewing)

Vintage (135 viewing)

It seems like the forum is stuck in the past, unable or unwilling to keep up with a changing industry.
There are so many mostly unused existing bikes that new sales are kinda dumb ...
Old 02-05-19, 04:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...s#.XFRtlS2ZMy5... The average wholesale price of a bike in 2018 was up 15 percent, from $467 in 2017 to $537 in 2018.

Adding e-bikes to the mix contributed to the higher selling price. E-bike sales were up $54 million from the year prior, a 78 percent increase.
The average wholesale price was $2,033.

Interesting stats.

So road bike sales are staying steady in numbers, and far greater numbers than E-Bikes (Other).

Mountain Bikes are still king.

In Dollars, Road bikes are up there (and increasing).
E-Bikes (Other), are also really expensive, and taking up a huge chunk by total cost. Cargo Bikes? Trikes & Recumbents?

I thought I was seeing a lot of prices on carbon fiber road bikes crashing, but apparently the average price is still going up. Odd????
Old 02-05-19, 04:41 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting stats.

So road bike sales are staying steady in numbers, and far greater numbers than E-Bikes (Other).

Mountain Bikes are still king.

In Dollars, Road bikes are up there (and increasing).
E-Bikes (Other), are also really expensive, and taking up a huge chunk by total cost. Cargo Bikes? Trikes & Recumbents?

I thought I was seeing a lot of prices on carbon fiber road bikes crashing, but apparently the average price is still going up. Odd????
Not really. The article explains that the uptick in road bike sales is accounted for primarily by gravel bike sales. Otherwise, road bike sales are in decline.
Old 02-06-19, 09:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm disappointed that ebike sales are so flat. I know there is heightened interest in them. Sure, it might pull sales from trasit/fitness and leisure bikes. Maybe a little from road.
Old 02-06-19, 11:00 PM
radroad

I'm disappointed that ebike sales are so flat. I know there is heightened interest in them. Sure, it might pull sales from trasit/fitness and leisure bikes. Maybe a little from road.
As per the story and headline:

"E-bike sales were up $54 million from the year prior, a 78 percent increase."
Old 02-07-19, 08:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's a lot of money, but I'm just looking at the graph and thinking that ebikes should be a lot bigger percentage of total sales
Old 02-15-19, 10:02 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It seems there are a lot of big players getting into e-bikes. GM, Yamaha, BMW, etc. This isn't just about the changing bicycle market. If the future of cars is auto-piloted Uber type vehicles, how will people just go for a Sunday drive?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/14/1...s-price-europe
Old 02-15-19, 10:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

wasn't it lyft that said the future of short trips is ebikes and scooters?
Old 02-16-19, 04:34 PM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm disappointed that ebike sales are so flat. I know there is heightened interest in them.
Sure, it might pull sales from trasit/fitness and leisure bikes. Maybe a little from road.
We are way behind Europe in this regard... E-bike sales are now projected to grow dramatically in the next few years
Old 02-16-19, 09:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I really think there is a lot of interest, but the money is too much and there aren't enough dealers.
Old 02-20-19, 02:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If this keeps up, the high-end bikes will be those with lightweight powerful motors, and our feather-light carbon fiber race bikes will be looked at as manually operated beaters, in the shape of a bicycle but with no power, and adequate for short trips for those who can't afford a real bike or don't appreciate the performance of powerful motors.
Old 02-20-19, 02:44 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
We are way behind Europe in this regard... E-bike sales are now projected to grow dramatically in the next few years
No, we're not. US e-bike revenue is up 78%.

In one year.

The cognitive dissonance is very interesting. People are just blanking out the info in the title.
Old 02-22-19, 09:28 PM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
No, we're not. US e-bike revenue is up 78%. In one year. The cognitive dissonance is very interesting. People are just blanking out the info in the title.
I think you are confusing Revenue with Unit Sales.

I stand behind by comment... We are way behind Europe in this regard... E-bike sales are now projected to grow dramatically in the next few years
Old 04-01-19, 05:38 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 342 Posts
We are all better off with more two wheeled vehicles - pedal bikes, ebikes, motorcycles, balance bikes, etc... - on the road because that puts pressure on towns, counties, states, etc... to accommodate us. This “healthier-than-thou” divide helps no one.
Old 04-09-19, 08:50 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
E-bike sales would probably be doing even better if there weren't so many haters. As if their popularity is in some way threatening to those using manual bikes..

I have to say though, i only see this on forums. I use an e-bike daily, and i get no hate at all, people love it. Especially when my kid's on the back.
Old 04-09-19, 12:58 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
IMO, most (all) of the haters are on forums. I've been riding e-bikes (both on and off road) for four years and have never had a negative interaction. The major problem in "the OC" is the superintendent of county parks has prohibited e-MTB's from all trails and many state parks prohibit too. This is incongruous to me since many parks are very sparsely populated especially during the week. There are at least 10 local areas where I encounter another rider (not a group, one rider) less than 20% of the time. The haters may have influenced prohibition in some areas.
The resultant is my LBS has had difficulty selling them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.