Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Extra spokes: do you carry any?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-08-19, 11:13 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
But the spoke you're most likely to break is that which is under the most load and that is rear drive side - hence you'll need a chain whip, cassette tool and large wrench which are hardly the kind of tools you'll fit in your saddle bag. And spoke count is important - not because they make a stronger wheel but because with a higher count you can most likely just open your brakes and keep riding till you get back to civilization whereas a broken spoke on say Campagnolo Shamals or Rolf Vectors is a long walk.
The spokes most likely to break from fatigue are actually non-drive side because the % of load cycle is larger in comparison to the low tension/load the spoke is under.

Old 02-08-19, 11:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
But the spoke you're most likely to break is that which is under the most load and that is rear drive side - hence you'll need a chain whip, cassette tool and large wrench which are hardly the kind of tools you'll fit in your saddle bag. And spoke count is important - not because they make a stronger wheel but because with a higher count you can most likely just open your brakes and keep riding till you get back to civilization whereas a broken spoke on say Campagnolo Shamals or Rolf Vectors is a long walk.
​​​​​​Another way disc brakes make life better.
Old 02-08-19, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Ohhh.....so close. I was with you until there.

I think I have a blog post about spoke failure modes but in general spokes fail for a few reasons: Inclusions/defects or contaminants in the metal is one. Seldom an issue anymore as alloys and quality have gotten a lot better but it still shows up in less expensive spokes often. It did happen in a run of Sapim CX Ray spokes about 2 seasons ago. We skirted any major issues with only a handful of spokes being affected but some wheel companies took a bath on it.

Next is induced stress risers. Similar to an inclusion this would be a place along the spoke where it's been nicked or otherwise had it's shape changed causing the geometry of the cross section to change. Can also result in a small crack. This is caused, as was mentioning in the post, impacts. These can sometimes not result in immediate breakage (plastic deformation to failure) but allow the stress riser to lower fatigue life. The beginning of the threads and the bend in the j-bend head are the two "included" stress risers.

Eventually all spokes will fail through normal use. that failure is what we refer to as a fatigue failure. Everyone should already know what a fatigue failure is. Bend a cheap metal back and forth until it cracks - fatigue failure.

Fatigue life is the term we use to describe how long it will take for a product to fail from fatigue. Fatigue life is expressed, usually, in terms of the number of load cycles the part has gone through.

Factors that affect fatigue life include: material properties (stainless steel has a higher fatigue life than aluminum for instance), Shape of material (the cross sectional area will affect the internal stress even with the same load applied), The maximal load in the load cycle as it relates to some material properties such as yield stress and finally the ratio of the change in load through a normal load cycle.

So......that's the ground work. Now let's take a wheel with spokes. All of them are run up to a tension or "load". As we ride them the spoke undergoes a loading and an unloading through one revolution of the wheel. This load and unload cycle is "loading cycle" that factors into fatigue life. In essence the lower the difference is between the low end of the load cycle and the high end the higher the resultant fatigue life (lower load ratio).

Stress risers can do exactly as the name implies. Engineers all know from statics calculations in materials that stress risers will increase the stresses seen in the materials at those riser locations. Traditional risers are things like holes in plate metal. Grab a piece of metal on both ends and pull and if there is a hole in the center the stresses around that hole are higher than the stresses elsewhere. As mentioned before the threads on a spoke and the head formation/bend are stress risers. Their overall load cycle is higher resulting in lower fatigue cycle life in those locations.

As I mentioned before the lower the ratio of loading to unloading is what has a huge affect on fatigue life. Spokes that are at too low of a tension for the geometry of the lacing and the rim/flanges/spokes count/rider weight will see a larger ratio of loading to unloading as a % of the total load they are under (spoke tension)- leading to premature fatigue failure. So yes....wheels that have too low spoke tension will have spokes break sooner. The cause is fatigue failure. Fatigue life was reduced by inadequate tension. So in this case the low tension causes the fatigue failure as you have mentioned.

....BUT....

fatigue failures also occur when spokes are at their correct tension. You see bicycle wheel systems with the spokes and nipples we use and the loading cycles they see are NOT systems that have infinite fatigue life. This means that all spokes will eventually fail from fatigue failure through normal use. They all have a finite life. That failure - if just from being at the end of normal fatigue life - will occur at either the thread base or at the bend in the head as those are always stress risers that reach fatigue life first. ALWAYS. If a spoke ever breaks anywhere other than the thread or the head then something else has caused the failure. Poor material, nicks, outright impacts from sticks, competitor's skewers, etc.

So low tension CAN cause premature spoke fatigue failure but all spokes will eventually fail from fatigue even when tensioned appropriately.

Here's the big kicker though: with modern alloy rims that allow us to reach higher tensions than in the past, better alloys and processes and quality control on the spoke wires and production we quite simply live in an era where if you actually start reaching the natural end of fatigue life for spokes and the wheel was built properly then you've really gotten your money's worth as you've ridden it way beyond where most people walk away from the wheelset and want something new. Most of the hubs on the market that are on most wheelsets under $600 or so (or carbon at or under $1200 or so) won't last long enough for spoke fatigue to start kicking in....then again cheap wheels are probably built poorly as well so all bets are off.

All of this goes to explain why I most likely said above that there's absolutely no reason in this day and age to ever carry a spoke unless you're touring meaning you have the possibility of hitting something that will break a spoke.

Apologies for the lengthy explanation and almost no one will read it but someone will and someone will get something from it I hope.
I think a lot of us appreciate the science you drop.
Old 02-08-19, 11:19 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Indeed. Rider came in to me minutes before a race and was like "I hit something and now the wheel isn't true".

"So what...it's disc and they're lining up. Have a good race."

Old 02-08-19, 11:28 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
For randonneuring I carry a few spokes stuck in a wine cork in my seatpost, a fiber-fix, a Stein mini cassette lockring driver and a bunch of other tools and spare parts that I’ll probably never use.
Old 02-08-19, 05:39 PM
Art Odd

Bikes: 2001 Cannondale R4000si

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
For randonneuring I carry a few spokes stuck in a wine cork in my seatpost, a fiber-fix, a Stein mini cassette lockring driver and a bunch of other tools and spare parts that I’ll probably never use.
Is the Stein tool safe for use on carbon frames?
Old 02-08-19, 06:57 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Art Odd
Is the Stein tool safe for use on carbon frames?
I probably wouldn't risk it. My randonneuring bikes are steel.
Old 02-09-19, 09:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

The spokes most likely to break from fatigue are actually non-drive side because the % of load cycle is larger in comparison to the low tension/load the spoke is under.
While I'm sure you are correct, most of the broken spokes I see on long-distance rides are from people who didn't have their RD adjusted properly at some point and shifted into the spokes which chewed them up on the drive side of the rear wheel and created weak points that eventually failed.
Old 02-09-19, 10:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by kingston
While I'm sure you are correct, most of the broken spokes I see on long-distance rides are from people who didn't have their RD adjusted properly at some point and shifted into the spokes which chewed them up on the drive side of the rear wheel and created weak points that eventually failed.
Yup - that's impact damage. Covered that here:

Originally Posted by psimet2001
.....Next is induced stress risers. Similar to an inclusion this would be a place along the spoke where it's been nicked or otherwise had it's shape changed causing the geometry of the cross section to change. Can also result in a small crack. This is caused, as was mentioning in the post, impacts. These can sometimes not result in immediate breakage (plastic deformation to failure) but allow the stress riser to lower fatigue life. The beginning of the threads and the bend in the j-bend head are the two "included" stress risers....
In shear numbers the largest amount of spoke failures from normal use will almost always be nds.

Old 02-12-19, 08:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

Yes, but only because one of my bikes came with them. I figure they make a nice chainstay paint protector.

Old 02-12-19, 11:26 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Yes because I'm riding an '84 Pug (bought it new) with the original Helicomatic rear end and they're known for breaking spokes. I can r&r a rear spoke faster than I can change a flat tire.
Jon
Old 02-12-19, 11:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Thanks, Psimet2001, for the best treatise on spoke breakage I've ever seen. I like that you include inclusions. The wheels I built in my racing days (mid '70s) were laced with Robergel Sports, the zinc plated ones because 15-17s were as light as anything out there, not very expensive and quite strong and reliable - except 3 spokes per wheelset broke in the early miles; almost always. 4-5 spokes per box of 100. Replace those three and the rest went 'till the wheel had to be rebuilt for other reasons. (Now those spokes had other quality control issues. Lengths, depths of threading and actual thickness varied. The thickness seemed not to matter much, The rest? It took well over an hour longer to start a build with Robergels than the later Wheelsmiths where you could start each nipple 3 turns and have a nearly true wheel. DTs the same. Best part was that I learned to true by ear really early. Second best part - the revelation of building wheels with uniform spokes later.)

Thanks for your input on BF.

Ben
Old 02-13-19, 12:50 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
So low tension CAN cause premature spoke fatigue failure but all spokes will eventually fail from fatigue even when tensioned appropriately.

Here's the big kicker though: with modern alloy rims that allow us to reach higher tensions than in the past, better alloys and processes and quality control on the spoke wires and production we quite simply live in an era where if you actually start reaching the natural end of fatigue life for spokes and the wheel was built properly then you've really gotten your money's worth as you've ridden it way beyond where most people walk away from the wheelset and want something new.
So IOW, fatigue failures will be caused by low tension.

Didn't Jobst Brandt get 300,00km out of 72 crappy old 15/16g SS spokes from BITD, wearing out the rims three times? Elastic spokes FTW.

Says to me, fatigue failures are going to be caused by low tension. Or maybe manufacturing defect, or poorly done holes or seating in rim or hub together with wheelbuilding fail. Or maybe even wheel design fail. But usually, almost certainly, not enough tension.

Last edited by Kimmo; 02-13-19 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 10:21 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But then you still have a fugly looking bike that weighs more!
Old 02-14-19, 12:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Fiberfix. No need for a cassette breaker for DS. OTOH, except for one spoke damaged in a crash, I've never broken a spoke in 65 years of riding. Tension, tension, tension, and by the meter, not by sound. We run CX-Rays on our tandem, ~325 lbs. all-up. I carry the Fiberfix anyway.

Rim brakes on all my bikes. I re-use the spokes when I replace rims. Makes it easy.
Old 02-15-19, 11:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Nope. I didn't take spare spokes on my bike on PBP, or on any tour to date. So I especially don't bother on club rides within 50 miles of home.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-15-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 12:42 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
So IOW, fatigue failures will be caused by low tension.

Didn't Jobst Brandt get 300,00km out of 72 crappy old 15/16g SS spokes from BITD, wearing out the rims three times? Elastic spokes FTW.

Says to me, fatigue failures are going to be caused by low tension. Or maybe manufacturing defect, or poorly done holes or seating in rim or hub together with wheelbuilding fail. Or maybe even wheel design fail. But usually, almost certainly, not enough tension.
Low tension can accelerate (reduce) fatigue life. Not "cause" fatigue failures as fatigue failures will also occur at proper tension just at longer intervals.

You can interpret that any way you want but to say that fatigue failures are caused by low tension would be factually incorrect. A more correct stance would be to blame all spoke failures on the fact that there is threading and/or a j-bend head. These are actually the cause of all fatigue failures.

In general I don't care for the writings of Jobst. I've talked to a publishing house a few times about writing an updated wheel building book for the modern era that deals with the realities we deal with and not flexy tiny box rims with poor grade materials and spoke counts so high they'd be considered illegal in even Colorado (weed reference).

Old 02-18-19, 04:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
As a scientific guy, Jobst Brandt should have known to be more careful about taking trends and theories and making absolutes out of them. He could have avoided quite a few Usenet flame wars if he had phrased his points as "well, this is what evidence tells me is the root cause in most instances..." or "this is what I've observed, but it is only limited to the riding experience of my buddies and me..."

But then he wouldn't have been Jobst Brandt.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-18-19, 04:58 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
As a scientific guy, Jobst Brandt should have known to be more careful about taking trends and theories and making absolutes out of them. He could have avoided quite a few Usenet flame wars if he had phrased his points as "well, this is what evidence tells me is the root cause in most instances..." or "this is what I've observed, but it is only limited to the riding experience of my buddies and me..."

But then he wouldn't have been Jobst Brandt.
yup.
Old 02-18-19, 05:19 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

In general I don't care for the writings of Jobst. I've talked to a publishing house a few times about writing an updated wheel building book for the modern era that deals with the realities we deal with and not flexy tiny box rims with poor grade materials and spoke counts so high they'd be considered illegal in even Colorado (weed reference).
I wish I'd known. I just built a set of randonneuring wheels with box-section rims, 36 alpine III spokes, and I'll probably still carry a few extra spokes with me. I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy. Hope to never have to abandon a brevet because of a mechanical.