Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 02-19-19, 03:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
Did you know the people in Washington State who are required to wear helmets exceeds the popultation of Iowa?

Did you know the people on US military bases (service personnel, their dependents, contractors, retirees etc) who are required to wear bicycle helmets exceeds the population of Iowa?

Those... ...nannys.

-mr. bill
Few, if any other U.S cities have decided to emulate Seattle's helmet nannying laws for adult cyclists; note that Seattle is still NOT Washington State.

I am well aware of military organizations' bureaucrats (i.e. nannys) writing arbitrary regulations because they think they have a "good idea", and they can get away with it, affecting personnel to include the length of their head and facial hair, sexual practices, location of tattoos, mandatory "training" on social issues, mandatory requirement for Anthrax inoculations and ingestion of questionable prophylactic drugs despite no evidence of any credible Anthrax threat, etc.

Writing and enforcing an arbitrary Regulation making bicycle helmet wear mandatory for adults, without any credible evidence of solving a problem or improving health or safety of affected personnel, is consistent with that scheme of personnel control.

Are the personal restrictions and regulations of DOD what you would like to be the standard for Massachusetts or anywhere else in the U.S.? If not, what the heck is your point besides hectoring other posters?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-19-19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 03:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by avole View Post
How do you feel about gun laws in your state, I-Like_To_Bike ? Do you think that banning guns would affect the figures of people entering hospital after accidental, or otherwise, wounds?
Take your Political rants/badgering to the appropriate list; this is a thread about bicycle helmets.
Old 02-19-19, 03:59 AM
avole
Logic free zone

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Take your Political rants/badgering to the appropriate list; this is a thread about bicycle helmets.
Political? I just wanted to see if you thought that was a similar issue, that's all. Does your nanny state apply to this, too?
Anyway, erased my post. You do seem to have a political agenda on this, though - how many times have you used the word nanny?

Last edited by avole; 02-19-19 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 08:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Few, if any other U.S cities have decided to emulate Seattle's helmet nannying laws for adult cyclists; note that Seattle is still NOT Washington State.
In fact, Dupont, Lynwood, Spokane and Vancouver all decided to adopt all-ages helmet laws after Seattle. Those... ...nannys.

-mr. bill
Old 02-19-19, 11:21 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Apparently, Seattle is loosening the enforcement of their helmet law to accommodate bike share users:
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sea...ents/802330070
Old 02-19-19, 11:48 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Apparently, Seattle is loosening the enforcement of their helmet law to accommodate bike share users:
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sea...ents/802330070
Seattle required Pronto (the failed bikeshare system) to have helmet vending machines at the docks, $2.00 per helmet rental. Best information is that about 20% of Pronto users used helmets, most their own helmets.

The dockless bike systems are not required to provide helmet vending machines, because where? Best information is that about 20% of the dockless bike users use helmets, all their own helmets.

BTW, it's still a requirement in Seattle for the brick and mortar bike rental companies to provide helmets as part of the cost of the rental.

Before you say but that just means that they fold the cost of the helmet into the rental, Timbuk2 offers rentals - for free. To make it clear, that's the bike, bike bag, lock, keys, helmet, and map - for free.

And the helmet law still does not have an exception for dockless bike users.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-19-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:01 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
(Arguing against claims that were never made.)

-mr. bill
All I said was that they apparently are loosening the enforcement, based on info in the link I provided.
But, please, do carry on.
Old 02-19-19, 01:06 PM
mr_bill

All I said was that they apparently are loosening the enforcement....
See if you can find the words "loose" "loosening" or "enforcement" in that article.
  • They simply interpreted how to apply a regulation to dockless bike share vendors -- left unchanged from pilot rules to final rules is the rule that bike share vendors have to provide a list of places to buy helmets.
  • Just as they interpreted how to apply a regulation to docked bike share vendor -- vendor had to provide a helmet vending machine at the docks.
  • And how to apply a regulation to brick and mortar bike rental vendors -- for rental bikes, shall offer to rent a helmet, for bike sales, shall offer to sell a helmet.
BTW, in Seattle, Pronto (who provided helmet vending machines) failed.

Spin and Ofo (who provided a list of helmet vendors) failed. Ofo failed EVERYWHERE. Spin is scooting away.

Lime and Jump (who provide a list of helmet vendors) seem to be doing OK in Seattle so far.

Lyft has applied to join them in Seattle.

Elsewhere, the helmet law also did not change in Massachusetts *NOR* was it "loosened."

In Massachusetts, bike share vendors are considered to meet the requirement in M.G.L Chapter 85 section 11D where the vendor "shall make available a bicycle helmet" by simply offering a list of places where you can buy a helmet. Same rational decision that has been made in many other jurisdictions.

Bluebikes (formerly Hubway) has a list of helmet vendors but also offers a discounted helmet over this new fangled thing called "the internet". I've never seen that helmet in the wild though, even though many people riding Bluebikes wear helmets.

Lime has a list of helmet vendors in each city/town in Massachusetts where they operate. (They also gave away 25,000 free helmets to the first 25,000 thousand US users who took the "Repect the ride pledge" and promises to distribute 225,000 (not free) helmets worldwide, location and timetable unknown.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-19-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 01:17 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Thank you for clarifying.
(Someday I will learn not to question you. ---Not sarcasm.) You tend to have your facts straight before posting.