Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The pros and cons of mom-and-pop bicycle shops.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The pros and cons of mom-and-pop bicycle shops.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 01:06 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
NPR seems to support your assessment
Check NPR's broadcast:There's A Gap Between Perception And Reality When It Comes To Learning

LISTEN·6:396:39QUEUE
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email
February 18, 20195:10 AM ET
"Increasingly, people feel they can master tasks simply by watching instructional videos like the kind you find on YouTube. But sometimes the gap between perception and reality can be deep and wide."

Here here. I've been around long enough to remember how we used to do things pre-internet and how we do them today. I get it, after 20 years in IT, I absolutely understand the value in having Google, or YT videos or forums to find quick and dirty answers but what some young folks don't seem to understand is these resources are starting points, not the end all be all. Is it difficult to figure out how to fix certain things on a bike? In many cases, not really, but you won't get nuanced experience from that 6 minute YT video. You won't hear me getting down on anyone who's spent 20 years of their life in the trenches at a LBS or as a master mechanic. They know which tools are meant for which tasks, or how a PF30 differs from such and such BB, or how Shimano does cranks vs SRAM or Campag etc.

I've seen this a lot over the years, kids come into the workplace thinking because they went to school for a few years they were smarter, more capable or could do the same job as me. I give them a few months to realize how wrong they were and they quickly come down to earth understanding that you can't earn 20 years experience in school. You can get a bit of a jump start but nothing trumps being in the dirt getting your hands dirty day in and day out for that long.
Old 02-18-19, 04:01 PM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me it is pretty simple. In the LBS, I am a Customer. All the others, I am the next Sale. I'll give you an example. When we were on a tour up the East Coast two of us were having bike glitches, one major, one minor. We stop in to a "chain" bicycle/sports store and the sales clerk is at a loss as to what might be the problem. His mechanic comes out and is next to clueless as well, and says he could get to it in two days. Clearly he would rather say, "next year." A mile further along and the LBS has real eye candy hanging in the window, street-side. The owner and mechanic are happy to see us, then diagnose the brake problem. the part is not in stock and it will be several days before an ordered part can arrive. So the owner has the mechanic pull replacement brakes off a new bike in inventory to get us going again. His inventory will wait for replacement part. While there, we found a few of other things we needed or wanted. We all decided to spend the night, staying at a nice hotel they suggested, and visited a restaurant they both agreed was both nice and a good value. We naturally told the hotel and restaurant where the referral began. We stopped into the LBS on the way out of town, thanking them again for their service. I find this level of service to be the norm, rather than the exception for LBSs.
Old 02-18-19, 09:43 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Be wary of the unknown LBS. Some of them are truly great, others are to be avoided. I wish I knew how to filter them out. One time in a reputable shop in a college town near me, I went in and asked about a sew-up. "Didn't they stop making those in the 60s?" was the reply. I asked about some headset tools and the question was beyond comprehension for the sales yacker. Same town, another reputable shop, seeing only 700 x 23 tires I asked about a 700 x 32 clincher, the TRULY CLUELESS sales person said "the hoop kind are downstairs". I wish I were making this up.
Old 02-19-19, 02:50 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
It's a different world. The only way forward is to embrace change, namely e-bike sales and repair. Who knows if brick and mortar stores can survive even if they do. There's a good chance direct to consumer sales will completely fold brick/mortar shops. Aren't the large manufacturers offering direct to consumer sales?

There are forums full of threads on DIY repairs and hacks for e-bikes. Even e-bike repair, upgrades and mods are relatively straightforward. This should be a clear sign that conventional bikes are far less complicated and the typical rider has even less need for a repair shop.

Meanwhile, cringe-inducing hysterical rants in defense of the necessity of bike shops in 3, 2, 1.....

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Jury is still out on whether a lot of these are going to end up barely used in the garage."

Agreed. I suspect a lot of like new used e-bikes will be available in a few years.
Wishful thinking. This is like hoping for the return of the horse and buggy in the era of Tesla.
Old 02-19-19, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Abbey
For me it is pretty simple. In the LBS, I am a Customer. All the others, I am the next Sale. I'll give you an example. When we were on a tour up the East Coast two of us were having bike glitches, one major, one minor. We stop in to a "chain" bicycle/sports store and the sales clerk is at a loss as to what might be the problem. His mechanic comes out and is next to clueless as well, and says he could get to it in two days. Clearly he would rather say, "next year." A mile further along and the LBS has real eye candy hanging in the window, street-side. The owner and mechanic are happy to see us, then diagnose the brake problem. the part is not in stock and it will be several days before an ordered part can arrive. So the owner has the mechanic pull replacement brakes off a new bike in inventory to get us going again. His inventory will wait for replacement part. While there, we found a few of other things we needed or wanted. We all decided to spend the night, staying at a nice hotel they suggested, and visited a restaurant they both agreed was both nice and a good value. We naturally told the hotel and restaurant where the referral began. We stopped into the LBS on the way out of town, thanking them again for their service. I find this level of service to be the norm, rather than the exception for LBSs.
All of us who tour a decent amount likely have similar stories. When I was on the road for three months with a group of 13, several shops dropped what they were doing to help out individuals, including myself, when we rolled into town. I also get that sort of treatment for emergencies here at home from shops that I have close ties with. During a day ride I lost a chain plate. I was near a LBS that had, among other things, built me new wheels (giving me the CK hub set at cost). Instead of hopping the train home I limped to the shop. They happily installed a new link and only changed me for the part. Was in and out of the shop in no more than 15 min. A few years later I bought a custom ti bike from the shop. (The shop's owner is the man behind Engin Cycles.) When I buy new tubeless tires for that bike the shop installs them for free.

Out of curiosity, where was the shop that hooked you up?
Old 02-19-19, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
It’s not that one can’t figure many things out via YouTube or Google Fu but to say that everyone is equipped or desires to do everything themselves is disingenuous. But hey, ignore everyone else’s needs to form your opinion.
So many people on this site have self-centric views of the world. "Because I have the time and money and space and desire and ability to work on my own bikes, LBS serve no function.", omitting the "to me" from the end of that sentence. Sad commentary on society.

I refer back to my busy, beater-riding grand student living in a small, third-floor walk up example.
Old 02-19-19, 08:38 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
It's a different world. The only way forward is to embrace change, namely e-bike sales and repair. Who knows if brick and mortar stores can survive even if they do. There's a good chance direct to consumer sales will completely fold brick/mortar shops. Aren't the large manufacturers offering direct to consumer sales?

There are forums full of threads on DIY repairs and hacks for e-bikes. Even e-bike repair, upgrades and mods are relatively straightforward. This should be a clear sign that conventional bikes are far less complicated and the typical rider has even less need for a repair shop.

Meanwhile, cringe-inducing hysterical rants in defense of the necessity of bike shops in 3, 2, 1.....

Wishful thinking. This is like hoping for the return of the horse and buggy in the era of Tesla.
The only way forward? Seriously bro, can you be more cluelessly dramatic?
But I am curious which e-bike you ride or bought recently?
I mean you must own and ride one as you are such a visionary and proponent of them.
Pictures please.
Old 02-19-19, 03:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Speaking of hysterical rants.....
Old 02-20-19, 09:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzlyPeaks

Lol man you have heart. But you need to just realize it isn’t that serious. There’s a reason ppl don’t get paid good for what you do. Nothing wrong with it just the facts. There’s a reason you get paid way more to clean teeth, be a doctor, lawyer, electrician, construction worker, social worker, accountant, medical assistant, you name it. There all jobs requiring actual skill that is in DEMAND and isn’t easily learned. Tell me how did you learn to do what you do ? By just going out and doing it. The bike was invented WAAAY long ago and remains in principle the same. And you are wrong. Anything that could go wrong with a bike is learnable through forums/internet. For Christ sake my dad and I restored a whole ass 70 Chevy pick up from frame up, in our garage. We learned how to swap the ENGINE in our 99 power stroke diesel, and We learned how to install fuel injectors, oil pump, and fuel system OURSELVES through YouTube and diesel truck forums. Bikes ARENT that serious man for real give it rest. People self teach computer engineering/coding completely online redd!t/YouTube. And you think a silly bike is more complicated than coding and engine rebuilds/modifications? Man you need to wake up smell the coffee.
Cleaning teeth is somehow more difficult then working on bikes day in and day out? I am not saying there isn't skill in cleaning teeth but to say that requires skill and bike wrenching some how doesn't is ridiculous!

Oooh your dad and you worked on a truck, cool. I wonder how long it took you and how much was spent trying to get it working? Obviously that was probably a fun project to do with your father and there is nothing wrong with that but fixing a car is not practical to do quickly in your home with limited tools and having to watch a bunch of videos and the various other issues with fixing cars at home.

I learned wrenching on bikes from other mechanics teaching me for the most part, I also have been reading Gerd Schraner's Art of Wheelbuilding but mostly for fun. I have also worked on a fair deal of different bikes rather than just one or two of my own. That is the better way to learn and grow. Watching videos is fun but won't give you a ton of knowledge sometimes that is useful in dealing with a variety of problems one may encounter on different bikes. I would love to see you and others like you try to work on a variety bikes quickly and efficiently day in and day out. That would be a good test of skills that many fail unfortunately. Maybe you might get lucky some do but I have had a lot of ex-coworkers who just cannot do the dance.

You all are fine living in your delusional world that you can do anything anytime without any knowledge and tools. People are free to believe what they want. If you want to think the Earth is flat go for it. If you want to believe rasins are dried ants go for it. Hey people have a whole lot of crazy ideals and conspiracies and delusions, it makes the world fun sometimes
Old 02-21-19, 09:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I learned wrenching on bikes from other mechanics teaching me for the most part, I also have been reading Gerd Schraner's Art of Wheelbuilding but mostly for fun. I have also worked on a fair deal of different bikes rather than just one or two of my own. That is the better way to learn and grow. Watching videos is fun but won't give you a ton of knowledge sometimes that is useful in dealing with a variety of problems one may encounter on different bikes. I would love to see you and others like you try to work on a variety bikes quickly and efficiently day in and day out. That would be a good test of skills that many fail unfortunately. Maybe you might get lucky some do but I have had a lot of ex-coworkers who just cannot do the dance.

You all are fine living in your delusional world that you can do anything anytime without any knowledge and tools. People are free to believe what they want. If you want to think the Earth is flat go for it. If you want to believe rasins are dried ants go for it. Hey people have a whole lot of crazy ideals and conspiracies and delusions, it makes the world fun sometimes
Most bicyclists who can keep their bicycles operating day in day out have no need for an expert mechanic who is interested in wheel building, has a ton of bike knowledge, or can fix a variety of bikes, let alone fixing a ton of bikes. Fixing a flat tire and tightening bolts on their own bike covers most of the maintenance needed and they don't require the services of an expert bicycle mechanic skilled in fixing arcane components and classic cycles from days gone by.

But if you want to believe otherwise , feel free to do so.
Old 02-21-19, 08:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Most bicyclists who can keep their bicycles operating day in day out have no need for an expert mechanic who is interested in wheel building, has a ton of bike knowledge, or can fix a variety of bikes, let alone fixing a ton of bikes. Fixing a flat tire and tightening bolts on their own bike covers most of the maintenance needed and they don't require the services of an expert bicycle mechanic skilled in fixing arcane components and classic cycles from days gone by.

Yeah because all I mentioned was arcane components. Of course learning Di2, EPS, eTap, working on hydraulic brakes and how to work on eBikes and all the intricacies and so many other things are not part of being a mechanic. Sure fixing a flat shouldn't need a mechanic but people keep coming in day in and day out
Old 02-22-19, 06:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yeah because all I mentioned was arcane components. Of course learning Di2, EPS, eTap, working on hydraulic brakes and how to work on eBikes and all the intricacies and so many other things are not part of being a mechanic. Sure fixing a flat shouldn't need a mechanic but people keep coming in day in and day out

Ahh, no one does that. You're just going to work every day talking to imaginary customers. LOL.

I've been bailed out of mechanical problems during more than one century, and it's definitely not something I could do roadside with or without videos.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and stop arguing with this nonsense.
Old 02-22-19, 07:24 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts

Most people can install a new water heater or toilet. It really doesn't require special skills. Or paint their own house. Or do any number of tasks that aren't really that complex and don't necessarily require great knowledge. But we pay other people to do these things because we'd rather go out and ride our bikes. When I was young, I did most all my own work. Now, I'm glad to drop the bike at my LBS and let them take care of it while I spend my time on some other activity. Of course I fix my own flats and I'll tighten a bolt if it needs it, but most anything else I let the shop do it. It's not a great expense and it saves me the bother.

Often I'll play golf while my LBS does the needful. When my golf clubs need new grips, I leave them with the pro shop to take care of the job. It isn't that hard. I could do it myself. But that would be an hour or two I could have spent on my bike.
Old 02-22-19, 07:48 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I enjoy visiting and dealing with the local bike shops. Recently I have visited many in Austin/Dallas/Houston/Fredericksburg while searching for my next bike. Fortunately I travel these areas for business so my access to them is vey convenient.

With that being said, I have found a great value in visiting and talking with knowledgable people and hearing about their experiences. Most shops here offer a year of maintenance with a purchase.I see a tremendous value in that alone. I am in favor of supporting small local business even at a higher cost in most cases where I see a value added service and they have the product I want.

The internet is a great place to obtain knowledge and is a good resource but my need and desire for a LBS is not decreased by the stroke of a key pad.
Old 02-22-19, 08:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jon c.
Most people can install a new water heater or toilet. It really doesn't require special skills. Or paint their own house. Or do any number of tasks that aren't really that complex and don't necessarily require great knowledge. But we pay other people to do these things because we'd rather go out and ride our bikes. When I was young, I did most all my own work. Now, I'm glad to drop the bike at my LBS and let them take care of it while I spend my time on some other activity. Of course I fix my own flats and I'll tighten a bolt if it needs it, but most anything else I let the shop do it. It's not a great expense and it saves me the bother.
What kind of bicycle maintenance tasks fall under "most anything else" that require trips to and from your LBS to drop off your bike for service? Are they like house painting or toilet/water heater maintenance and infrequently needed?
Old 02-22-19, 08:04 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by CodyDog
I enjoy visiting and dealing with the local bike shops. Recently I have visited many in Austin/Dallas/Houston/Fredericksburg while searching for my next bike. Fortunately I travel these areas for business so my access to them is vey convenient.

With that being said, I have found a great value in visiting and talking with knowledgable people and hearing about their experiences. Most shops here offer a year of maintenance with a purchase.I see a tremendous value in that alone. I am in favor of supporting small local business even at a higher cost in most cases where I see a value added service and they have the product I want.

The internet is a great place to obtain knowledge and is a good resource but my need and desire for a LBS is not decreased by the stroke of a key pad.
If your bike has reliable components and frame/fork, the "free year of maintenance" is totally unnecessary.

If anything electronic components require even less maintenance.

Not to mention, a comparable bike online will cost thousands less negating any benefit from a $10 derailleur tune once a year.
Old 02-22-19, 09:42 PM
CodyDog

If your bike has reliable components and frame/fork, the "free year of maintenance" is totally unnecessary.

If anything electronic components require even less maintenance.

Not to mention, a comparable bike online will cost thousands less negating any benefit from a $10 derailleur tune once a year.
You missed my point. I enjoy visiting and dealing with local bike shops.
Old 02-23-19, 05:05 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
REI eliminates this concern.

-Tim-
yeah. Have you seen their prices for Shimano R501's? Damn Cheap
Old 02-23-19, 06:38 AM
radroad

You stated explicitly that one year of maintenance is a draw. You should try reading your own posts before commenting:

Old 02-23-19, 08:08 AM
CodyDog

You stated explicitly that one year of maintenance is a draw. You should try reading your own posts before commenting:
Okay 'Ill play with you. I don't have to go back and read my post. I already know what it stated. It was my opinion and what I value at a LBS. One year maintenance is something I value. It merely my opinion on a post. We have several bikes including e-bikes so free maintenance is a draw for me.

Dude, opinions aren't wrong. Opinions aren't fact. They're just opinions.

Last edited by CodyDog; 02-23-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 08:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Don't forget to bring cookies and/or beer to boost the ambience of the social visits while dealing with the bros.
Old 02-23-19, 01:28 PM
CodyDog

Don't forget to bring cookies and/or beer to boost the ambience of the social visits while dealing with the bros.
Beer, lots of beer.
Old 02-24-19, 04:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ahh, no one does that. You're just going to work every day talking to imaginary customers. LOL.

I've been bailed out of mechanical problems during more than one century, and it's definitely not something I could do roadside with or without videos.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and stop arguing with this nonsense.
Maybe so, some of these folks are just so delusional it feels like it is not worth it but if I don't defend my trade I will be doing myself and my fellow shopmates who work really hard a disservice.
Old 02-24-19, 06:47 PM
radroad

Maybe so, some of these folks are just so delusional it feels like it is not worth it but if I don't defend my trade I will be doing myself and my fellow shopmates who work really hard a disservice.
Speaking of delusional:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...p-closing.html
Old 02-25-19, 05:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The irony of posting a dead link with that caption is much appreciated.

What percentage of your posts are on this subject, Ahab?

Obsessive, much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.