Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Etap AXS review and pricing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Etap AXS review and pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 08:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
My LBS, which has serviced a ton of etap bikes hasn’t seen a single “sleeping derailleur”. And mine, which have been through the early life mortality phase of electronics, haven’t ever done anything except operate perfectly. So it’s just not an issue and I don’t anticipate it ever being an one.
I'm quite surprised that your LBS hasn't seen the issue, but not surprised that you haven't had an issue with your groupset. SRAM might have fixed the issue, but we'll never know for sure. They don't even admit that there is/was an issue

Fact is though, the issue does exist.

. Certainly you can see use cases where it is successful. It certainly must be successful on a market level though - they sell a ton of it. Undeniably, it’s probably the best way to upgrade a frame built for mech with elec shifting.
It's the best way to upgrade a bike with external routing, but very few mid/high end framesets are still manufactured using external routing.
Old 02-19-19, 09:29 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm quite surprised that your LBS hasn't seen the issue, but not surprised that you haven't had an issue with your groupset. SRAM might have fixed the issue, but we'll never know for sure. They don't even admit that there is/was an issue

Fact is though, the issue does exist.

It's the best way to upgrade a bike with external routing, but very few mid/high end framesets are still manufactured using external routing.
Obviously you don’t like it. But your characterization of it is also not accurate. The stuff sells well, it’s used professionally, it’s relaible, virtually every signficant bike manufacturer offers a bike with it, and a lot of people like it. Would that happen if it was too expensive, unreliable, and error prone? No, absolutely not. By any measure, it’s been a very successful product.

There isn’t a product that was ever made - past or present - that did not have a problem. Nor will there be such a perfect product in the future. Heck, I’ve had warranty claims on a Shimano shifter. Shimano replaced it without out comment - notable that the LBS had seen several of them. Sound familiar? I also had a Shimano RD replaced under warranty when it failed. That’s what manufacturers do when they have a problem that is well within the acceptable error rates (typically classified as early life failures), they replace the part without fanfare and move on. It’s not possible to be perfect. Such is the case with your “sleeping derailleur” I’m sure. Acceptable rate of failure is why it’s not plastered in headlines everywhere.

That all said, I’m a Shimano fanboy - I like the stuff. Imagine my surprise when I converted a couple of mech bikes to eTap and discovered I liked it better. Some of the options that it opens up for frame builders are pretty interesting too.

So I’ll be interested to see how this new eTap AXS plays out. I’m not on board with the 10T based cassettes or with the one piece chainring/power meter set up. The price is high but that’s fungible based on market acceptance etc... and I’m sure that’s going to change relatively quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them follow this up with 11T cassette support at some point or maybe that’s part of what we’ll see in the Force rollout in April. 11T and 50-34 support would be welcome, I think.
Old 02-19-19, 10:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Obviously you don’t like it. But your characterization of it is also not accurate.
Here's a little reading for you. I realize that some people have problems with Di2 as well, but usually it's a setup/user issue. With eTap it's an equipment defect/flaw.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...id-ride-2.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...leeping-2.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ink-again.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-problems.html
Old 02-19-19, 12:11 PM
john.b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't want a 10T. Prefer tighter spacing in the middle of the cassette where I spend most of my time.
Precisely what I like about Shimano’s 11-34 11 speed cassette for 2x. Smaller gaps in the middle and wider range gaps at the ends, especially at the top.

I can’t imagine buying a cassette with a bunch of 1-tooth gaps at the small cogs, even on their so-called “wide-range” 10-33 cassette.
Old 02-19-19, 02:46 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Here's a little reading for you. I realize that some people have problems with Di2 as well, but usually it's a setup/user issue. With eTap it's an equipment defect/flaw.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...id-ride-2.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...leeping-2.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ink-again.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-problems.html
That’s entirely consistent with my prior post about defect rates. This is meaningless unless you compare it to other similar products in the industry and with outgoing factory defect rates of electromechanical assemblies.

But I doubt you have any such knowledge except what comes across in front of you. I don’t know either with specifics about these products but I’ve spent a lot of time working on engineering issues in the electronics industry and understand how manufacturing quality and warranty replacement works.
Old 02-19-19, 03:55 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You guys are saying "I don't even want a 10 tooth cog" while ignoring the fact that the largest chainring you can use is only 50 teeth.
The people for whom this is attractive are the same people who buy 10-15,000 dollar bikes. Ie, not very many of us.
I love the logic though - we've shrunk the chain but by making it ugly it's just as strong. Uh, no... I don't believe it for a second. 8 spd > 9 spd > 10 spd > 11 spd and now the math is changing? Unlikely.
Not what I was saying. I don’t want a 10T is because I had looked at the gearing range charts and don’t want more top end, I’d rather that range went lower. That’s largely true across the board with their charts. The max gear ratio of about 4.5 or so (50x11) is more than enough for me, I’d prefer that the range be extended on the low end. And when that gets low enough, I’d prefer that the extra cog be used to break up one of the larger steps remaining between cogs. Here’s the chart that’s interesting:

From a cost perspective, I don’t really want to replace my 50x34 cranks and power meter either. So I see limited benefit in going to a smaller cog at the top end even with smaller chainrings on the crank. I suspect they are going to get some pushback on that and we’ll see some support for 50-34 chainrings (ie. Cassettes 11-xx) show up presuming there is something that can be done to make that work with 50-34 crank spacing as a configuration item.

It’s going to be interesting - apparently the Ceramic Speed/Friction Facts guys are saying that there is a fair body of evidence that a smaller cog size has a significant cost in power. Not sure exactly what that is, but I’m sure it will play out over the next several months.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 02-19-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:57 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Timely thread - am looking to get a superbike for myself to commemorate a key life event later this year, and was thinking of eTap 11 vs 12. I didnt realize AXS was such a proprietary system: and yes, that is a deal breaker for me.

I wonder - assuming Shimano and Campy do go the 12 gear route down the road, will that increase compatibility across brands?
That sounds nice. Congratulations on whatever it is.
Old 03-12-19, 05:32 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
It appears 12s will be even less cross compatible than 11s. Not only does it appear that 12s road Campy, Shimano and SRAM are different in any way imaginable, but even 12s offerings form the same company, SRAM, are said to be incompatible. That is you cant mix n match Eagle and the newer AXS offerings. Layers of confusion is added and in sure the forum will have fun dukeing it all out. For now im on 10s and im staying. My usual cassette is - eighteen - times cheaper than a XG-1290, haha! :-)
Old 03-12-19, 06:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It appears 12s will be even less cross compatible than 11s. Not only does it appear that 12s road Campy, Shimano and SRAM are different in any way imaginable, but even 12s offerings form the same company, SRAM, are said to be incompatible. That is you cant mix n match Eagle and the newer AXS offerings. Layers of confusion is added and in sure the forum will have fun dukeing it all out. For now im on 10s and im staying. My usual cassette is - eighteen - times cheaper than a XG-1290, haha! :-)
Yea...the next time I'll up speeds is when something breaks and I don't have much of a choice. Otherwise I'll wait for Shimano to get more active about IGH Di2. Derailleur drivetrains are going silly.
Old 03-12-19, 11:43 AM
JohnJ80

Agree on 12spd - I'm doubting the others go 10T. But remains to be seen.

Not sure about your 11 spd cross compatibility claim though. In particular?

J.
Old 03-12-19, 01:43 PM
Racing Dan

Agree on 12spd - I'm doubting the others go 10T. But remains to be seen.

Not sure about your 11 spd cross compatibility claim though. In particular?

J.
What claim do you think I made?

Shimanos 12s hub body does take a 10t, but yeah, it remains to be seen if it carries over to road.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-12-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:17 PM
JohnJ80

What claim do you think I made?

Shimanos 12s hub body does take a 10t, but yeah, it remains to be seen if it carries over to road.
Did you mean current 11 spd compatibility with new 12 spd or 11 spd with other 11 spd? Wasn't clear to me. But I see what you mean now.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 03-12-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 11:02 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
so for 1x you kind of have to go eagle RD? but 11-50 is bit excessive but 10-33 is too low, they need a 11-40, that would be perfect for 1x
Old 03-13-19, 11:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
This isn't fully correct.

I got to speak directly with the road group at SRAM last Friday. We also got to check out some intermixed groups. Any part in the AXS family will wirelessly talk to each other fine. You can mix and match RED AXS and Eagle AXS. The affectionately refer to this as a "mullet" setup like the old school v brake and disc combo. Short in front and long cage in the rear. Mechanically if you put a Eagle rear end on there then you run an Eagle cassette and chain. Red - Red cassette and chain. I believe the chainring ran under than as well. In other words you can run drop bars on your mtb or conversely flat bars on your road bike and everything will interconnect.

Old 03-13-19, 11:08 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Did you mean current 11 spd compatibility with new 12 spd or 11 spd with other 11 spd? Wasn't clear to me. But I see what you mean now.
Only half reading what was wrote so apologies if I am not following.

11 speed has been pretty much universal across all groups from all manufacturers. Mix and match component groupings with chains and cassettes.

12 Speed Shimano is on Microspline - first real departure form HG splined bodies since the mid-80's. I am not currently aware of how their spacing is. IIRC I believe the freehub body length is still in that 10 speed length range- building on Shimano mtb 11 using shorter freehub body and cantilevering large cogs off the back end as there is the spoke bracing clearance to do so.

12 Speed SRAM is XD and XDR. XDR will run XD or XDR cassettes. Only reason to still use an XD driver is due to being able to leverage like the Shimano style - giving you a stranger tension balance in the rear wheel but...not really needed. I would guess that almost all applications will see XDR bodies and be suitable for "road, cross, gravel, adventure, 'light' mtb"

Old 03-13-19, 11:21 AM
Racing Dan

Ok?

... but the AXS RED chain is different from an Eagle chain, and any other chain know to man, on account of a different size rollers and being too narrow for Eagle. Thus, at least in my mind, rear DR + cassette + chain + crank must be either RED or Eagle?

https://sram.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...le-drivetrain-
Old 03-13-19, 01:24 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Only half reading what was wrote so apologies if I am not following.

11 speed has been pretty much universal across all groups from all manufacturers. Mix and match component groupings with chains and cassettes.

12 Speed Shimano is on Microspline - first real departure form HG splined bodies since the mid-80's. I am not currently aware of how their spacing is. IIRC I believe the freehub body length is still in that 10 speed length range- building on Shimano mtb 11 using shorter freehub body and cantilevering large cogs off the back end as there is the spoke bracing clearance to do so.

12 Speed SRAM is XD and XDR. XDR will run XD or XDR cassettes. Only reason to still use an XD driver is due to being able to leverage like the Shimano style - giving you a stranger tension balance in the rear wheel but...not really needed. I would guess that almost all applications will see XDR bodies and be suitable for "road, cross, gravel, adventure, 'light' mtb"
Thanks - nice summary. That was pretty much my understanding, I thought I'd missed something so thanks for the clarification.

11 spd was nice for the cross compatibility in chains, cranks, hubs and cassettes. Looks like most of the that is out the window now but at least (if I understand this correctly) at the hub end it's just a new free hub body. Not great, but on most hubs, not a deal breaker either. What is a problem, I think is the 13T difference on the FD on AXS. That leaves behind all old cranks (both hardware and riders) with the ancillary expensive impact in replacing power meters. One would think they could have handled some of this in software, maybe a slower shifting speed for 16T difference or something. Too bad, but it pretty much cuts off the upgrade from a mech bike path that previous eTap provided. That had to be a not insignificant percentage of sales. I'd say at this point, if you wanted eTap AXS, it's largely a choice for a new bike. I guess the flip side of that though is that there are some nice deals out there for eTap (non AXS) upgrade kits.

Anyhow, I think the biggest miss is the lack of support for 16T difference at the crank end. Actually kind of hard to believe the engineering guys didn't build that in.

J.
Old 03-13-19, 03:18 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Ok?

... but the AXS RED chain is different from an Eagle chain, and any other chain know to man, on account of a different size rollers and being too narrow for Eagle. Thus, at least in my mind, rear DR + cassette + chain + crank must be either RED or Eagle?

https://sram.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...le-drivetrain-
Yes - you have to use the Eagle chain when mixing.