Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Windsor Carrera Sport - Sentimental value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 08:23 PM
evildoer
Loser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm fairly certain this is the bike I bought when I was 15 in 1979 based on the Zefal mount and the placement of the city of san diego license. I believe I paid 120 and it came with sew-ups that I replaced with first (and last) wheels I ever built. I replaced it with a Raleigh Technicum in 1990 at which time I recall my brother selling it to someone but neither of us can remember where it went. Apparently it turned up in a thrift shop recently where current seller acquired it.

I'm quite certain it isn't worth anywhere close to what the seller seeks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windsor-Car...frcectupt=true
Old 02-11-19, 09:33 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
This is an easy decision.

Buy it and build it up.
Old 02-12-19, 12:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax

Buy it and build it up.
It would be tough to turn down if it were a cool old bike I used to own even if the price might be on the high side.
Old 02-12-19, 12:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Oh, that's pretty. Is the frame local to you?

Try an "offer" + local pickup.

I see some cracking around the right seatstay.

It's probably nothing, but could be a sign of movement where there isn't supposed to be movement.
Old 02-12-19, 12:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
------

The Escondido location places it right near its original importer: Bicycle Parts Pacific of San Diego.

-----
Old 02-12-19, 09:16 PM
evildoer
Loser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nomadmax

Buy it and build it up.
Hard to argue with that. So far seller doesn't like my offer but I'll try again. Thanks.
Old 02-13-19, 06:27 PM
juvela

-----

Patience.

A cinch not to move at that number.

This is a one up from the bottom model constructed of hi-tensile tubeset.

Same machine also offered badged as Carabela.

My guess: top market value ~$90.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-14-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 08:28 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Nice looking frame with fairly good tubing but just OK build quality even with sentimental value I would say $125-150 or so local pic up shipping or more would say pass. These aren't actaully as rare as people think with some patience you should be able to get a whole bike in fairly good shape if that is what you want.
Old 02-16-19, 09:33 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Define sentimental. Depending how sentimental an item is to me, I’d gladly pay over market for it, particularly when it’s the EXACT item and not just something similar.

So its overpriced. That really doesn’t matter. It’s really how bad you want it. Some people spend that much in a month or two at Starbucks.
Old 02-16-19, 10:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I don't know about your current cash flow situation. My bike obsession is not based on market value but more a hobby with deeper meaning. I don't keep track of how much I put into my bikes. I have a 1976 Kabuki Diamond Formula that was top of the line back then, not much value today. I bought this bike new and remember the excitement of riding a racer in my 20's. I have period correct Super Record and Nuovo record on everything even the Titanium spindle pedals . The parts are worth way more than the build. Because this was my first serious bike back then it is at the top of my list in personal value . I ride it a lot and always get compliments. I have a nice bunch of bikes that are worth more $$$ but don't hold the same value to me. So go first with what you can afford and then with whatever personal value you will receive, IMHO Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

Last edited by Kabuki12; 02-16-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 08:21 PM
evildoer
Loser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don't know about your current cash flow situation. My bike obsession is not based on market value but more a hobby with deeper meaning. I don't keep track of how much I put into my bikes. I have a 1976 Kabuki Diamond Formula that was top of the line back then, not much value today. I bought this bike new and remember the excitement of riding a racer in my 20's. I have period correct Super Record and Nuovo record on everything even the Titanium spindle pedals . The parts are worth way more than the build. Because this was my first serious bike back then it is at the top of my list in personal value . I ride it a lot and always get compliments. I have a nice bunch of bikes that are worth more $$$ but don't hold the same value to me. So go first with what you can afford and then with whatever personal value you will receive, IMHO Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Thanks for the advice. I weigh the cost and the need, though I only have n bikes so I'm still one short. Always room for a couple more hooks in the garage too....
Old 02-27-19, 04:41 PM
juvela

-----

A couple of build tips on these early Carrera Sport frames.

If you get this one or another of this era there are a couple oddities with them to be aware of.

While the steerer is BSC ("English") its interior is not 22.2mm but rather .833" so you will need to find a stem of this diameter.

While steerer is BSC the bottom bracket shell is threaded Italian, 36mm X 24TPI. However the width is not the usual Italian 70 but rather 68mm. So when assembling a bottom bracket for the cycle one will require Italain dimension cups paired with a compatible spindle intended for a 68mm shell. The OEM chainset for this model at this time was a Sugino Maxy three bolt model with a fixed outer.

-----