Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle wedge stowage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle wedge stowage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 06:14 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Saddle wedge stowage?

is there a saddle wedge bag that's at least 9" internally long that contains a quick disconnect clip? Like this, but longer: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Aero-W...ick+disconnect

I do not want velcro being the latching part that is affixing it to the bottom of the seat rails, or it using the plastic child safety grocery cart clip bracket.
Old 09-03-18, 07:26 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
google.com
Old 09-03-18, 10:54 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by trailangel
google.com
you dont say?
Old 09-03-18, 02:14 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
is there a saddle wedge bag that's at least 9" internally long that contains a quick disconnect clip? Like this, but longer: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Aero-W...ick+disconnect

I do not want velcro being the latching part that is affixing it to the bottom of the seat rails, or it using the plastic child safety grocery cart clip bracket.
I have a couple of the Timbuk2 XT M, but they are in the vicinity of 7"...while poking around looking for the dimensions, I ran across this...
https://www.rei.com/product/117048/r...pack-14-liters
...12" long---it is big! Happy hunting.
Old 09-03-18, 03:41 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Not quite 9 inches, but would 8.3 inches do?

If so, there'a Topeak bad similar to the one that you linked to that uses Topeak's QuickClick system to affix to the saddle rails and seat tube.

It's this one here (check out the dimensions for the Large size):

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...ero-wedge-pack

You could go a lot larger by getting a Topeak beam rack that would fit to your seatpost like this one:

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...amrack-ex-(new)

And then fit any MTX Trunkbag onto it.
Old 09-03-18, 03:46 PM
Troul 

@Stormsedge 145!!! lol

I'm going to try the Topeak wedge QuickClick pack. It is close to meeting the size, & if it works, only 20.00, if not, then I'll have to modify it.
Old 09-03-18, 03:48 PM
Troul 

@taz777 Just posted that wedger. Great minds... Will see how it plays out!
Old 09-03-18, 04:16 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
If you haven't ordered already .. the large looks like it's 9.1

https://www.ortlieb.com/wp-content/t.../saddlebag.pdf

I just don't get why some people get so uppity on whether someone's "googled it enough" or not .... for me to find that bag took me absolutely hours, I would so have appreciated just posting it in a forum and someone else happening to know the answer and save me all that time so I could spend it with my wife, kids or cycling instead but I guess some people don't have anything better to do with their time.

Also there are new products out every day and if you don't want to help then just don't answer rather than having a pop at the person ... just my 2p's worth.

Last edited by Witterings; 09-03-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 05:10 PM
Troul 

@Wittterings I opt to ship in the large version.
Old 09-03-18, 05:39 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
@Stormsedge 145!!! lol

I'm going to try the Topeak wedge QuickClick pack. It is close to meeting the size, & if it works, only 20.00, if not, then I'll have to modify it.
LOL...it was pretty ridiculous. Glad you found something
Old 09-04-18, 10:59 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I may have a sample Quix bag sold by Proflex in that size. I use several smaller ones on my own bikes and will check to see if there's one in the garage that is the size you seek. Nifty clamp with QR that works well. I believe Jandd uses the Quix mechanism on their bags now, as pictured.
Old 02-16-19, 01:57 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings

I just don't get why some people get so uppity on whether someone's "googled it enough" or not .... for me to find that bag took me absolutely hours, I would so have appreciated just posting it in a forum and someone else happening to know the answer and save me all that time
I have run into many a "salty" person in asking questions that it would be much simpler just to answer. Some people are just like that, no good explanation as to why.
Old 02-16-19, 03:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have a bag with the Quix mechanism I swap between two bikes ... but i use a retaining strap because I don't trust the bag to hold up, bouncing all day on just the one connection.

I bought a couple extra connector units so I can ad them to other bags if I want----also bought so (I think) Topeak connectors. If I find a good bag and can add the quick-release
Old 02-16-19, 04:22 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ortlieb bags with roll down closure and quick disconnect. They are fantastic.
Old 02-17-19, 07:45 PM
Troul 

I went with the wedge pack qr. It's been serving me well for the places I ride.
Old 02-19-19, 04:15 PM
LesG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I'd like to mention Acorn bags here if the wedge pack you got doesn't work out or, if in the future, you want a different one... or for anyone else that might be interested. I have 3 of the Acorn saddle bags, two are medium sized (approx. 8 x 6 x 10 deep in inches) that also have zippered side pockets. The side pockets hold very small items (like a multi tool or phone) and one small one (approx. 8 x 5 x 7 deep) that has no side pockets. They also make a medium large and a large. These are very high quality waxed canvas bags.
https://www.acornbags.com/

The down side to Acorn is they are a small California based at home type company. I believe it is a man and wife. They can't keep up with demand so they make their products in batches of black, gray and brown and when those batches become available they sell out quickly, like 24 to 36 hours if that much. The various batches only become available every couple of months and you need to be on their email list for a heads up when the next batch will be available. They'll inform you right down to the minute a batch becomes available for online purchase. If you're willing to go through that you'll be rewarded with a very high quality bag that will last for years and built by folks that ride themselves. One other possible downside is the saddle bags are more made to attach to a Brooks type saddle with the hangers on the back of the saddle, which I have. My wife, OTH, doesn't have a Brooks saddle but we were easily able to adapt it to the frame of her saddle.

I don't have any affiliation with Acorn other than owning 3 of their saddle bags.
Old 02-19-19, 04:24 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Stowage ....

Old 02-19-19, 10:37 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Stowage ....
Old 07-25-19, 09:38 PM
kfried

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
@Stormsedge 145!!! lol

So I am reviving this thread from the dead, but was curious if you had any reflections on this bag. I am thinking of the large Wedge, but want to know what the capacity is like. I know the measurements, of course, but have difficulty in visualizing what that will actually fit. I am doing century rides and an aiming to put in two tubes, a tire, and whatever else I can fit in there. I currently just carry a backpack as I transition from shorter to longer rides. After looking for reviews, they seem to be few and far between. Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-19, 03:35 AM
Troul 

I can only fit 1 tube in it nothing else.
Old 07-26-19, 04:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
So I am reviving this thread from the dead, but was curious if you had any reflections on this bag. I am thinking of the large Wedge, but want to know what the capacity is like. I know the measurements, of course, but have difficulty in visualizing what that will actually fit. I am doing century rides and an aiming to put in two tubes, a tire, and whatever else I can fit in there. I currently just carry a backpack as I transition from shorter to longer rides. After looking for reviews, they seem to be few and far between. Any feedback greatly appreciated!
In ye olden days of touring and longer group rides we'd occasionally lash a spare tire to the outside of the bag, or under the saddle. Back in the late 1970s or early '80s, whenever the first folding bead clincher came out, I bought one as a spare for long rides in Baja and SoCal. Just lashed it underneath my saddle bag. Never needed it, finally lost track of it, no idea how those early folders rode.

If you can do without a quick release, Arundel makes some well regarded seat bags specifically to hold a spare tire in addition to tubes. The "Tubi" is aimed at folks who use tubulars ("sew-ups", tubs, etc.), but should work fine with 700x23 or so lightweight folding tires (I occasionally tote a Schwalbe One V-Guard as a spare tire, since it's the lightest, thinnest practical tire I've used).

Be sure to check out their demo video for tips on efficiently stuffing Arundel bags. As with the minimalist Lezyne Road Caddy, it can take a little experimentation to pack all the necessities, and maybe a little more. Personally I prefer the Lezyne for a single tube, but the Arundel Dual might do if I needed to carry more than one spare tube.

I notice that Arundel has added a weather resistant Gordo, Medio and Pico, which could be useful for folks who carry spare USB batteries or other stuff that needs a little more rain/splash protection.
Likes For canklecat: