Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Unusual Loads Have You Found On The Street and Carried In Your Pocket Back Home?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What Unusual Loads Have You Found On The Street and Carried In Your Pocket Back Home?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 04:56 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebeerdedbiker
I lived right down the road from there and now I live in SD California. I absolutely love that bike ride! It is so beautiful! Just brought me back!
Heh, you brought me back, too. I miss my biking days before my knees went to heck. Wow, can't believe it was that long ago...
Old 01-22-19, 12:46 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Of the things small enough to fit in a pocket, nothing "unusual". The occasional tool (pliers, a small combo wrench, etc). A Planet Bike taillight. Gloves/mittens. A Packers toque. But this being the commuting section, I reckon most of us have more than pockets for carrying things. We have found a few whole bikes (yes, marked "Free" with tape) off a local MUP.

Most unusual "find" wasn't on the street, and most certainly wasn't carried in a pocket. Coming home from the farmers market one day, some people hanging around a garden apartment (read: basement) window well, look down there and lo and behold, an opossum stuck down there. Can't climb the sheer concrete sides. I go home and get a live-trap and set it in there. Come back an hour or so later, and he hasn't taken the bait. His nose is pointed toward the cage door, but he's not moving. Eff this, I'm not gonna wait all day. I start sliding the trap his way, and poking him in the behind with my pump. That got him into the trap. Okay, now what? I'm up here with the bike, and the possum in the trap. Oh, what the blank, it's only about a mile, so I strap the trap to rear rack and ride home, and let him loose in the back yard.
Old 01-22-19, 10:18 AM
Bat Guano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of most of the stuff I've found over the years:

Not sure why I picked some of that crap up; rusty railroad spike, homemade shiv, phone that doesn't work... go figure. No, I didn't find the rest of the Buick - just the nameplate.
Old 01-22-19, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I even found things too big to carry in my pocket , picking up a $20 bill is always Nice, Picking up a Rusty 10p nail in my tire is Not..