Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake pads for rod brake bikes from Lovely Bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 05:26 PM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

has anyone used these folks? Rod Brake Pads for classic Bikes | Parts | Brakes | Lovelybikes.com

These could answer a lot of people's prayers. I stumbled across them while trying to find a polished rear rack similar to the style that came with my 1979 Puch. I also like that they have a repro Bakelite type rod brake guards and a few other possibly useful items.
Old 05-18-17, 05:45 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Renngrrl
has anyone used these folks? Rod Brake Pads for classic Bikes | Parts | Brakes | Lovelybikes.com

These could answer a lot of people's prayers. I stumbled across them while trying to find a polished rear rack similar to the style that came with my 1979 Puch. I also like that they have a repro Bakelite type rod brake guards and a few other possibly useful items.
I don't know anything about what Lovely Bicycle is selling. Maybe that's my phone's fault? Whatever, I'd like to know more.

I do know KoolStop offers pads for rod brake stirrups, and I've found their quality to be excellent (though I haven't tried these).

https://www.koolstop.com/english/rod_pull.html

Based on my ignorance ofthe former and familiarity with thelatter (which may be prejudicial) I'd go with the latter.
Old 05-18-17, 06:07 PM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I don't know anything about what Lovely Bicycle is selling. Maybe that's my phone's fault? Whatever, I'd like to know more. I do know KoolStop offers pads for rod brake stirrups, and I've found their quality to be excellent (though I haven't tried these). Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Based on my ignorance of the former and familiarity with the latter (which may be prejudicial) I'd go with the latter.
This was a first for me as I thought everybody used the koolstops. It says they manufacture their own. The images are from their ad. zapatas_freno_varillas_14.jpgretroclassic_4_4.jpg
Old 05-18-17, 06:28 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How I found these people is because I was trying to track down this rack. It's the closest rack I've seen to the brochure photos.Chroming Rear Rack 28" | Accessories | Racks | Lovelybikes.com Lovelybikes.com
Old 05-18-17, 08:08 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I've used a lot of different pads over the years and salmon Kool Stops are the best I've found for steel rims. Although I've also been satisfied with black Fibrax pads. The Kool Stops are inserts and fit into your existing holders. The Fibrax are complete units. It's not difficult to punch out the old pads and press in the Kool Stop inserts. You'll get different opinions on this, but I find a bit of improvement in mounting the pads leading the stirrup rather than trailing. You'll see both leading and trailing methods used on the later Raleigh style rod brakes with offset arms on the front brake.
edit:
in any case, keep track of your original pad units. You may want to use pad inserts at some point.

roadster brake.JPG

Last edited by BigChief; 05-18-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 08:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
JBI - Product Details

These are basic black "rubber" pads. Our shop would sell them at about $5 a pair but would need to order them, no shipping if gotten in our weekly order. The CA warehouse has them in stock. Andy
Old 05-18-17, 08:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...rod brakes don't work well anyway, so whatever you use, wear tennis shoes so you can drag your feet to stop.
Old 05-18-17, 08:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...rod brakes don't work well anyway, so whatever you use, wear tennis shoes so you can drag your feet to stop.

They could work if a lot of details were done better. Like round rims and slop free rod connections. Then there's the leverage factors... maybe some one will introduce a new version. With a specific rim, unique handle bars and frame then call it an advance. We do partake in a cyclic activity/business. Andy
Old 05-19-17, 05:27 AM
BigChief 

I used to think rod brakes were almost useless until I really set my mind on getting the best performance I could out of them. With the help of some knowledgeable folks here at BF, I did get a huge improvement to the point I'll call them adequate. Especially considering the speed I tend to ride this kind of bike at.
First is to get the front wheel as true as possible. Any out of roundness shows up as uneven pressure.
Next is pad alignment. There's no self alignment here! Since this style brake uses the stirrup as a return spring, the pads move in as well as up as you squeeze the lever. You can make the side to side adjustment by loosening the guides and tapping them up or down on the fork leg.
Next is getting both pads to contact the rim exactly at the same time. You do this by holding a strip of sandpaper against the rim, applying light pressure to the lever and dressing off which ever pad contacts the rim first until both pads contact the rim evenly.
Next, assuming previous owners tried to stop the bike with misaligned or old hard pads and bent the levers, I very carefully used a small pipe to bend the levers out to restore the original lever travel.
Also, I chose the "leading" method of attaching the front brake offset arms. I think I noticed an improvement and the factory catalogs show them mounted this way.

Old 02-19-19, 12:04 PM
kj_one

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trouble swapping in Kool Stop pads

Originally Posted by BigChief
I've used a lot of different pads over the years and salmon Kool Stops are the best I've found for steel rims. Although I've also been satisfied with black Fibrax pads. The Kool Stops are inserts and fit into your existing holders. The Fibrax are complete units. It's not difficult to punch out the old pads and press in the Kool Stop inserts. You'll get different opinions on this, but I find a bit of improvement in mounting the pads leading the stirrup rather than trailing. You'll see both leading and trailing methods used on the later Raleigh style rod brakes with offset arms on the front brake.
edit:
in any case, keep track of your original pad units. You may want to use pad inserts at some point.

Attachment 563900
I recently got a set of the Kool Stop salmon blocks to swap in for the Fibrax ones currently mounted on my Tourist. I'm having a pretty hard time getting the Fibrax pads out of the shoes they come with, so that I can swap in the Kool Stop blocks. BigChief -- would you be able to provide any guidance as to how you went about doing this? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-19, 12:18 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by kj_one
I recently got a set of the Kool Stop salmon blocks to swap in for the Fibrax ones currently mounted on my Tourist. I'm having a pretty hard time getting the Fibrax pads out of the shoes they come with, so that I can swap in the Kool Stop blocks. BigChief -- would you be able to provide any guidance as to how you went about doing this? Thanks in advance!
The original Raleigh brake pad holders are wider at one end and narrowed down at the other, but still has an opening at the narrow end. I open my bench vise jaws just enough to support the holder edge but still allow room for the pad to move. Then I use a punch small enough to fit through the narrow end and drive the pad out with a hammer. To install the Kool Stops, I get the pad started in the wide end and use the bench vise to press them in.
Old 02-19-19, 12:29 PM
kj_one

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The original Raleigh brake pad holders are wider at one end and narrowed down at the other, but still has an opening at the narrow end. I open my bench vise jaws just enough to support the holder edge but still allow room for the pad to move. Then I use a punch small enough to fit through the narrow end and drive the pad out with a hammer. To install the Kool Stops, I get the pad started in the wide end and use the bench vise to press them in.
This is very helpful! Thanks!
Old 02-19-19, 12:44 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts

Groovy pic. 'Tweed Rides' are out.

Having both of these bikes, this might be the new 'hip ride' attire - for the ladies anyways. Lol
Old 02-19-19, 02:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Renngrrl
How I found these people is because I was trying to track down this rack. It's the closest rack I've seen to the brochure photos.Chroming Rear Rack 28" | Accessories | Racks | Lovelybikes.com Lovelybikes.com
Here is another website with lots of rear carriers: Hollandbikeshop.

It looks very similar to the one by Kuhnert
Old 02-19-19, 03:12 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Was I the only person to click on the link expecting the name meant a certain blogger was getting back into the bicycle business?
Old 02-19-19, 06:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Website based in Spain, formerly Biciclįsica, started in 2010, about the same time as the blogger we all know and miss. No apparent connection. Not sure when they renamed the site.