Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Quick Release SPD petals

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Quick Release SPD petals

Old 06-01-17, 10:12 PM
FInish4Finn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Release SPD petals

I know they exist. I have seen them in the corners of the internet, but they don't seem to be as prominent for traveling over seas for cycling. I prefer SPD style petals to go touring and cycling in general. Touring shoes, which basically snap into the bike gives me twice as much power going into a session. However, shoving my bike into the suitcase and needing to unscrew them carefully so that I don't strip the teeth on my crankset. I have nightmare of stripping them on a road side or just before a tour and screwing myself because taking things apart and putting them back together for a ride bothers me. So, I see these SPD clip in petals that are quick release and you can easily click them into place from storage to on the go. It's thoughtful, but so far I never hear any review on these spd quick release petals. How do they fair? Are they worth it? Are they cheeply made? Retailers are usually chinese, which tells me that they aren as in demand globally for the cycling traveler. Obviously, the flat petals are easy to find with quick release, but this is something that has been raking my brain, whether to trust this and go out of my way to get them or stick to my old spd petals and hope an unfulfilled technical nightmare
Old 06-01-17, 11:10 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Mks us s ezy.
Old 06-02-17, 03:38 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Wellgo QRD SPD

Mine are NON SPD.

Well made and durable.

https://m.dhgate.com/product/wellgo-qrd-w01-pedal-quick-release-bicycle/371937867.html#pd-024

Last edited by zebede; 06-02-17 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 06:45 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a set of Wellgo QR SPDs a couple of years ago for use with train travel. Functionally they were perfectly fine. My biggest issue with them was that the shafts are very long, which was quite noticeable when pedaling, as it forced my feet out quite a bit.
Old 06-02-17, 08:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not Shimano, but as said, Welgo and MKS cleat type similar, but not same..
Old 06-02-17, 12:04 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not Shimano, but as said, Welgo and MKS cleat type similar, but not same..
I think Wellgo SPD type is fullly compatible/interchangeable with Shimano SPD. Cleats and pedals will work with either brand.

MKS MM Cube EZY looks similar to Shimano SPD; but I don't think they are interchangeable. MKS US-S and US-S EZY are fully compatible with Shimano SPD:

https://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defaul...8%5BEng%5D.pdf
Old 06-02-17, 12:05 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Add:
Wellgo SPD should mate with MKS US-S also.

Just got my first set of MKS pedals; seems very nice.
Their reputation for nice rolling and reliability(don't know yet) seems well deserved.
Ordered another set; Urban Step-in A Superior.
MKS ESPRIT SUPERIOR PEDALS by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 06-02-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 12:45 PM
FInish4Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is great then. I would prefer SPD, but if it's similar maybe for the better. Only issue would arrise is if a wellgo part snaps after long use and I need a replacement part that isn't carried by a local bike store. Not to say they are low quality, but never heard of them and no experience with their product.
I would get them, in that case. Going to research the brand and hopefully there is a SPD type with an interchangeable flat petal I can switch out for commuting. It would make sense they would. Usually when I make a purchase of this nature I select three options to choose. Whether it be a SPD or similar it makes more sense with SPD with familiarity, but not necessarily as a switch out availability would be fantastic from the flats to a SPD-like option.
Old 06-02-17, 04:38 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have MKS pedals on both my folders, and on my full size old Peugeot. I actually rotate the two sets of pedals between the three bikes - I have an SPD-style clippy pair and a more day-to-day caged pair. They're superbly made in my opinion - good engineering, good bearings and really great for super-smalling the bikes on trains and busses. Expensive, yes - but all good pedals are.
Old 06-02-17, 04:52 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MKS cleats are the ones to get

Actually they thing to do is buy MKS rather than shimano cleats. They are a bit harder to get and a little more cost.
But they work with shimano or MKS or welgo clipless.
Shimano cleats don't work in MKS.
I run standard and clipless versions of the MKS and wellgo pedals across my bikes. And also shimano SPD on a Mountain bike.
Mks cleats fit everything fine.
Old 06-03-17, 03:25 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
From what I read, the Wellgo SPD are a bit hard to unclip from, so they're not recommended for newbies. That would mean the mecanism used by Wellgo would be closer to Shimano's SH51 than SH56. Do experienced riders confirm?

Besides, Wellgo QRD pedals are very hard to find: There are only a couple of models on eBay or AliExpress.
QRD - Wellgo

As an alternative, you could get some flat QR pedals and add straps like those from PowerGrips.

--
Edit: Out of curiosity, do those pedals use the Time or Look system, and would they be easy to unclip from?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellgo-QRD-R...-/142242598826

Last edited by Winfried; 06-03-17 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 06:16 AM
zebede
Hello

My daily commuter for the last ten years uses a Wellgo SPD trekking pedal (non QRD).
I run the SH56 shimano SPD cleat in this Wellgo Pedal. To me its multi-directional release is an always has been very easy to release. I tried the SH51 in both my Wellgo and Shimano pedals, this is a racer's cleat wich requires precise alignment and much more difficult release on both mfgs pedals. This is intentional. Use the SH 56 unless your racing road bikes or doing triathalons.

The Wellgo pedal has been durable, light weight, low profile, similar to the Shimano trekking pedal at about half the cost. The only replaceable part on them are universal ball bearings and dust caps.

The one pair of MKS quick release pedals ($$) I have on a Speed TR are very slippery, This was solved as you suggested with power grips.
Old 06-03-17, 12:53 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks. I didn't know you could replace the cleats on the shoes with newbie-friendly SH56 and still use Wellgo QRD pedals.

Best of both worlds.
Old 06-03-17, 01:28 PM
FInish4Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of the wellgo SPD have been hard to find. It's like they stopped making them. Maybe due to patent or limited run issues. So far this is the list I comprised.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wellgo-M19-Clipless-Pedals-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Pedal-Quick-Release-Cycling-Aluminum-Sealed-Bearing-Bicycle-Pedals/32643668796.html
https://www.benscycle.com/p-26788-mks-us-s-ezy-clipless-pedal.aspx

Yup...small list, but the QRD II-C231B does look promising, as does the QRD-R096B on ebay. I would go with the road bike type, but the SPD-like petals seems less conspicuous for touring/cycling shoes, not to mention familiarity. Seems to me the SPD compatibility of the MKS is specific to certain models and will have take the word on those currently listed. So, it seems I am leaning toward the MKS and in search of flat petals that will be the deciding factor. And hopefully the post of all MKS being interchangable is correct. Will have to contact the Ben's cycle store or distributor for confirmation. Replacement pare a concern. I hope I won't have to make my own parts. MKS appears more easier to get replacement parts from than wellgo. However, wellgo at first glance allows interchanging flat petals for the clipless with the fixture that goes on the crankset.

Last edited by FInish4Finn; 06-03-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 07:16 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The SH56 cleats to me are death traps. Mild sprint will unclip without warning.... Pulling out of a pedal on a tough climb---it is always at the worst possible time---

After a couple of weeks getting used to sh51 as long as you don't go back and ride with toe clips and straps you probably will never have an issue.

My opinion any way.

Folding 406 vs 451 wheels
Old 06-04-17, 08:49 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by Winfried
...Edit: Out of curiosity, do those pedals use the Time or Look system, and would they be easy to unclip from?

Wellgo QRD-R096B Aluminum Road Bike Quick Release Clipless Pedals Platform - SLV | eBay
Been using clipless pedals for over 8 years now. Shimano SPD(& it's copycats), Look KEO, Crankbrothers Eggbeaters and Speedplay X/2. Never had any problems with Shimano SPD; either SH51 or SH56 cleats. I only unclip sideways; so I can't even tell the difference. After a few years with SPD; a club member gave me his old Look KEO. I was so used to the double sided entry with Shimano; I had a hard time with the single entry KEO. Releasing was not a problem. It's getting clipped in; I wouldn't recommend this in heavy traffic. Plus the cleat will stick out ofyour shoes; making walking difficult.

Titanium Xpedo R Force pedals with Shimano SPD cleats(cant remember if 51 or 56):
Old 06-05-17, 05:23 AM
zebede
Hello

Originally Posted by Rick Imby
The SH56 cleats to me are death traps. Mild sprint will unclip without warning.... Pulling out of a pedal on a tough climb---it is always at the worst possible time---

After a couple of weeks getting used to sh51 as long as you don't go back and ride with toe clips and straps you probably will never have an issue.

My opinion any way.

Folding 406 vs 451 wheels
If your having unintended release, increase spring tension on the pedal.if it continues I would suspect a worn pedal or cleat.

I am just the opposite, when I tried the SH51 , I had to decrease spring tension to get them to release.
Old 06-05-17, 08:48 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
If your having unintended release, increase spring tension on the pedal.if it continues I would suspect a worn pedal or cleat.

I am just the opposite, when I tried the SH51 , I had to decrease spring tension to get them to release.

No the SH56 are designed to release in any direction. The sh51 will only release from a side out motion.

I've ridden and sold Shimano clipless pedals since the first 747s back in the early 90s. If you are an aggressive rider at all I would never recommend the sh56s.
Old 06-05-17, 08:50 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The SH56 are silver and the SH51 are black---easy way to tell the difference.
Old 06-05-17, 08:52 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That rare time when you are accelerating hard up a steep trail or accelerating out of the way of a car and your SH56 releases in a straight up pull----you will regret the day you did not take my advice and go with sh51s.
Old 06-05-17, 09:34 AM
zebede
Hello

Originally Posted by Rick Imby
That rare time when you are accelerating hard up a steep trail or accelerating out of the way of a car and your SH56 releases in a straight up pull----you will regret the day you did not take my advice and go with sh51s.
Been using SH56 for ten years, daily commuter, with no problems, I do tend to be a spinner, as opposed to a masher. I appreciate the additional angles of release in stop and go traffic. They suit my style of riding very well. I highly recommend them. I do not have unintentional release and have adjusted spring tension to suit me.
Old 06-05-17, 10:40 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have no idea why anyone needs different angles of release. Like learning to turn a bike by turning away from the corner and leaning before turning into the corner. Move your heel out and your foot comes out. I'm glad they work well for you as commuting cleats. Even a moderately aggressive off road rider will not be so lucky. I know you like them for you but they are certainly not for everyone.
Old 04-04-18, 11:32 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Hi I am knew to the clip-less pedal system and want to purchase a pair for my Airnimal Chameleon. I have SPD cleats that I use in the winter for spin class. Can I just purchase something like this Mks Promenade Quick Release Road Pedals

and add the SPD to the pedal or must it be a specific pedal?
Old 04-04-18, 05:00 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by kayakindude
Hi I am knew to the clip-less pedal system and want to purchase a pair for my Airnimal Chameleon. I have SPD cleats that I use in the winter for spin class. Can I just purchase something like this Mks Promenade Quick Release Road Pedals

and add the SPD to the pedal or must it be a specific pedal?
I'm not sure there is a platform pedal that you can add SPD clipless capability on one or both sides.

Some possible alternatives:
-Buy clipless pedals; also platforms that will turn SPD to platform:
https://www.amazon.com/SABLUE-Univer...Q8KN21VB8AZ0NY
-Clipless one side; platform on the other:
https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Urban-Ste...stepin+a+pedal
-Get 2 sets of qr pedals; 1 set platform, 2nd set clipless.

On this bike, I switch between Ti Parts Workshop Double X platforms -
to MKS USS EZY clipless(SPD); using the same couplers/connectors:
BF pakiT 8.6 kilos by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
BF pakiT - Randalls Island, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 04-05-18, 12:18 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
I used to run MKS quick-release pedals, but after losing two of them, I decided detachable pedals might not be so great an idea after all. Here in Japan, where folders are very popular, losing pedals is so common that many MKS dealers sell single pedals. Now I run Shimano XTR pedals. They are light, small, and though they protrude a bit, the bike still fits in the bag or case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.